Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic range and DxO  (Read 38079 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Dynamic range and DxO
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 12:26:41 am »

Hi,

I certainly would like more than two images. To begin with I guess that Michael and Mark want to do some real world comparison and that would make for several scenes and they would probably also include different lenses, like the ones Mark uses on his Alpa. Hopefully they would also include a simpler back. Or even a Leica S2?

The older test I talk about, here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/back-testing.shtml ,  filled a DVD.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: feppe
If you're referring to free image hosts, I'm not aware of any which host RAWs weighing tens of megs. There are several free file hosts, but those have pretty onerous upload and download limitations, and have quite unfriendly UIs.

If necessary, I can help since my web server has 300 gigs of bandwidth per month (5,000 RAW files assuming 60MB each) without me having to add more.
Erik Kaffehr

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Dynamic range and DxO
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 06:22:26 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Perhaps the more important factor for photographic artists when discussing any given camera's DR, is not so much how much total DR is there to begin with, but what you can do with it before you lay it down in an image...
It sure is important, but would be more or less the same for any camera ; therefore it can't fit in a "mine is bigger than yours" discussion.

I'd rather think it's a complimentary topic, more seriously said.
But it's one of the reasons the subject is so differently understood across photographers : there can't be standard renditions of an higher-than-average DR scene, it all resorts to tricks and local adaptations to make it readable and pleasant.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up