Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Essential lens list for landscape work  (Read 8868 times)

dbell

Essential lens list for landscape work
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 02:27:14 pm »

Quote from: bellimages
Canon wouldn't be doing this if it didn't produce a better final image.

IME, Canon (or any other vendor) will do it as long they can sell it at an appropriate margin.

Bear in mind that in order for these lenses to make a practical difference in your photography, your whole workflow has to sustain their level of quality. From initial capture through to finished print, everything has to be done right or you won't see the benefit you expect.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

A 70-200 is standard equipment in any pro's bag.  There's a good reason for this.  It's an incredibly flexible, capable lens.  That'd be my next purchase if I didn't already have one.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 12:57:37 am »

Jan its all relevant, equipment and travel is very expensive.  We all have our breaking point of what we can spend.  And its not getting cheaper.  We used to bitch about how expensive 8x10 and 4x5 was.  I wish it still was that cheap.  But shooting Phase One is expensive but wouldn't change it for anything.

But the reality is we shoot with what we can live with and afford.  It looks like you might be out here for the bloom at the right time.  let's stay in touch and see if we shoot together.  I will be scouting this next week again.  Looks great though, will be one of the best blooms in history.  Tim

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

Quote from: tim wolcott
Jan its all relevant, equipment and travel is very expensive.  We all have our breaking point of what we can spend.  And its not getting cheaper.  We used to bitch about how expensive 8x10 and 4x5 was.  I wish it still was that cheap.  But shooting Phase One is expensive but wouldn't change it for anything.

But the reality is we shoot with what we can live with and afford.  It looks like you might be out here for the bloom at the right time.  let's stay in touch and see if we shoot together.  I will be scouting this next week again.  Looks great though, will be one of the best blooms in history.  Tim
I got an email from the Canon rep who handles landscape photographers this morning. He said that new 70-200 is being sold. I called B&H and got their last one. Looking forward to playing with my new baby next week:)

And Tim ..... can you tell me "where" I might go for outstanding bloom? I'd like to see it in person, as well as shoot it, since I almost pursued horticulture in college. You said that Death Valley isn't a good choice.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Paul Sumi

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 03:49:22 pm »

Quote from: bellimages
And Tim ..... can you tell me "where" I might go for outstanding bloom? I'd like to see it in person, as well as shoot it, since I almost pursued horticulture in college. You said that Death Valley isn't a good choice.

Death Valley is not your best bet if you are looking for vast carpets of wildflowers.  However greater-than-normal rainfall this season means that the DV wildflowers WILL be better than usual.

A current report:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/naturescience/wild...update-2010.htm

Early April seems to be the consensus for peak in DV.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:27:09 pm by Paul Sumi »

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »

Never ever trust what these so called park websites say.  If they can't or if someone can't send you some photos don't trust it.  All to many times they have been absolutely wrong.  I find it quite offensive that I have to drive many of hundreds of miles if not thousands to see if the flowers are ready or at peak.  Its all to often they are off basis on what they are saying.  Sorry but the past doesn't lie, and they not really allowed to give accurate advice. If info is given way to generic to work.  It a shame but that's what happens in todays world.  

But Jan I will know more this week.  T
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:12:51 pm by tim wolcott »

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 08:40:45 pm »

Quote from: ckimmerle
I would recommend the opposite. Pare it down to the essentials, specific to what you are shooting. My bag consists of only three lenses: 24 and 45 t/s lenses and a very sharp 85. I have no need for anything longer. Of course, there may be the occasional shot that I miss because of the limited selection, but it's more than made up for by the shots I do get by being able to focus my thinking and vision.

It doesn't matter what lenses you have, IMHO. That's a personal choice. But it's a mistake to assume that accounting for every single millimeter of focal length will make things easier. It actually can have the opposite effect.

Agreed. I'm a landscape photographer and the widest lens I shoot is a 35. If I need wider I stitch.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:17 am »

Well guys, I took the plunge after hearing that a few of the Canon 70-200 "digital" lenses were hitting the market. I got the last one that Midwest Photo had in stock. I'll do some testing with it on Monday.

Tim, keep me posted on where I might find outstanding spring floral blooms. I'm open to where I travel, pretty much.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up