Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low-price entry to MF  (Read 3616 times)

NoahJackson

Low-price entry to MF
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »

Greetings,

With all the talk about dynamic range and the rumored Pentax digital body, I'm realizing how my rainforest portrait and environmental work can benefit from such a tool. I'm curious about the best way to achieve this benefit with the least initial cost. I'm "only" currently printing with a Epson 7900. Rather than making larger prints than my printer allows (I'm using a 5D2 and other canon cameras), I'm interested in the slightly increased resolution and DR.

For those who have experience with both formats (it's been a long time since my own MF film days), would I see a significant advantage with something like a used P25 back? I'm envisioning an initial lower coast back which I could trade out/sell as my projects and large print sales increase.

The good news is that I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks,
Noah

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »

Image quality will improve, but the use of the MF cameras is a hassle, and they are bulky and heavy.
You may find it more useful to invest in other aspects of your work.

Edmund

Quote from: NoahJackson
Greetings,

With all the talk about dynamic range and the rumored Pentax digital body, I'm realizing how my rainforest portrait and environmental work can benefit from such a tool. I'm curious about the best way to achieve this benefit with the least initial cost. I'm "only" currently printing with a Epson 7900. Rather than making larger prints than my printer allows (I'm using a 5D2 and other canon cameras), I'm interested in the slightly increased resolution and DR.

For those who have experience with both formats (it's been a long time since my own MF film days), would I see a significant advantage with something like a used P25 back? I'm envisioning an initial lower coast back which I could trade out/sell as my projects and large print sales increase.

Thanks,
Noah
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BobDavid

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »

Rent a medium format camera for a few days to see what you think. Otherwise, there are lots of opinions you can read on the forums.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:41:59 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
Rent a medium format camera for a few days to see what you think. Otherwise, there are lots of opinions you can read on the forums.

Or there are several major medium format dealers including us, Capture Integration, that would be happy to let you come to our location for free testing (we'll stay out of your way if that's what you want, or help you every step of the way if that's what you want).

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:37 am »

Quote from: BobDavid

Bob,

You want us to miss an occasion to debate "IS DIGITAL MF WORTH IT", and chat with our photographer friends, altruistic dealers and helpful sales reps? ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

don't do it !

there is no such thing as a low price entry.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:41 pm »

Quote from: rueyloon
there is no such thing as a low price entry.

I guess everything is relative.

We have a fully warrantied and dealer-supported P20V on our Demo and Used Back Inventory List for $5k. A Hassy 500 series body, viewfinder, and a Zeiss lens or two would cost $1k-2k and for a 9 micron sensor those lenses will do great things - several of them also have a look that is hard to find or fake elsewise.

For a few $k more a used Cambo tech camera and one of the less expensive lenses like the Schneider 35mm XL would let him stitch a four-panel 40ish megapixel image with only the sensor moving and no geometric remapping/warping of the image (as with a pan-and-stitch dSLR) and with the amazing per pixel sharpness, dynamic range, color fidelity, tonal smoothness, and file flexibility of a medium format.

It would also bring him into the pacing/style, advantages (and disadvantages), of medium format shooting, and into the software workflow of Capture One (or if he wishes LightRoom). In other words: would help him learn the ropes of medium format - including, if he wishes, medium format film.

If he upgraded backs later to a higher resolution or more recent model he would keep a large part of his investment due to Phase One's aggressive trade-in offers. He could keep the Hasselblad body, or move to an AF body like the Phase One AF or DF and keep the Hassellbad lenses to use with the Phase-body-to-Hassy-Lens adapter. He could use the upgraded back on the same tech camera body and lens. This is the huge advantages to the modular, open, Phase One system for someone looking to enter low and upgrade over time.

Of course this is not the same price as a Canon 7D kit. Nor is a 7D kit the same price as a Canon G11. All those cameras can produce great images and offer different shooting styles, and their own set of advantages and disadvantages. So again, everything is relative.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:07:59 pm by dougpetersonci »

DesW

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

Quote from: NoahJackson
Greetings,

Thanks,
Noah

Hi There,

Yes that would be a good way to go/start-- the Refurb P25 Back or better the P25+ are excellent and fairly priced on the used market

Big But though--get the Hasselblad H body with it --don't go near the Phamiya bodies they are a gross POS!

Des

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

if you want to save some cash, you can still shoot some high dynamic stuff with a 5d fine. just as long as the subject isnt moving much.

this shot was shot on my canon 1dsmk3 (instead of my leaf) as i didn't have much time, things were under pressure that day.
i shot bracketing a stop and a half either side at the 5fps (so, about 1/2 sec per shot), and this shot also had two frames attached on on the sides to make a massive file.
so we ended up with detail all the way from the bright sun, to the darkest details under the tyres.

car shot link

paul
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:41:41 am by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

NoahJackson

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:26:34 pm »

Thanks for the comments. For the majority of my work, bracketing is not an option as I work with indigenous knowledge holders; I seek out forest experts -- primarily in tropical rainforests. My work is mostly environmental portraiture and I make prints.  Most of my image making happens while enroute to forest gardens or on the edges of forests or one long hunting journeys. I often camp or lead photographic workshops with communities I work with. Consequently, while power is an issue, I use everything from generators to solar to charge equipment.  I'm also familiar with rain, dirt, leeches and dust. Most of my equipment is as well but I'm not terribly worried about protecting MF equipment -- when we go far and long into the forests I can always pack Pelicans and silica gel.

Consequently, I am one of those art and documentary photographers that work in the iso 800-1600 realm often; this is why a 5d2 is my main camera. I believe with a medium format camera and some careful fill lighting, I may be able to stay in the 400-800 range.  But I would like to do some tests. Most of my work is based in Southeast Asia; although I'm a US citizen my studio is currently in Malaysia. Next time when I'm in the US I'll certainly rent a medium format back and do some tests. In the meantime, I'll continue to invest money in projects and equipment. It would be interesting to see if I could get Phase One sponsorship for my work with indigenous nomadic people in Borneo (and elsewhere). Does anyone have any leads for my not for profit and fine art endeavors?

Unless, of course, anyone has some equipment in SEA that they are willing to let me rent.

Thanks for the good feedback.

Noah Jackson
Forest Voices
Recent work: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1459...mp;l=88b82a53e6

CBarrett

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:52:23 pm »

Ooooh... If you're working in the high ISO range, none of the MFDB's are going to make you very happy. Even when I use Sensor + on my P65+ my D3 trounces it at high ISO's. If you're looking for great DR at high ISO and the most MP, I'd consider the D3X.

-CB

lisa_r

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 12:18:00 am »

Nice work Paul. I like that 2 Below stuff.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 01:42:54 am »

Quote from: lisa_r
Nice work Paul. I like that 2 Below stuff.

thanks heaps lisa!
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:29:23 am »

Quote from: CBarrett
Ooooh... If you're working in the high ISO range, none of the MFDB's are going to make you very happy. Even when I use Sensor + on my P65+ my D3 trounces it at high ISO's. If you're looking for great DR at high ISO and the most MP, I'd consider the D3X.

-CB

Noah, I had a look at your other site, http://hopeinlight.com/index.html, and the 5D MK II is enough camera for the audience I expect you have. Anyone who is interested in your work won't be pixel-peeping your images.

My suggestion would be to wait for the 1Ds Mk IV to come out. I'm sure that Canon will be aiming to outperform the D3X and you will have all the lenses that go with the body. Plus you will have better weather sealing for the areas that you photograph in.

I like your camera donation scheme, read about it here, http://hopeinlight.com/Camera-Donations.html, I hope you have luck with it.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

NoahJackson

Low-price entry to MF
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:06 pm »

Thanks for your comments. My new work is a bit different (West Africa) but the theme is very similar. You are absolutely right about my audience; they do not always (usually) look at DR. However, I've been blown away with what I've been getting out of the 5d2; I've sold several large (for me, 36") prints and really like working with the larger files. Of course, a lot of my environmental portraiture is more appropriate (for sales and viewing) at 8x10 (11x14 matted) sizes, but its really nice to have the extra quality pixels and the freedom of higher ISOs.

So much of the world is changing; there is a lot at stake for communities with forest loss. While I won't jump ship and purchase a MF right away it's tempting because some of the places where I work with my team are the last of their kind. There is a certain empowerment and responsibility that comes with this. As I get more serious about documentary work, I like the idea of capturing people and place with all the possible detail and honesty that I can master with my limited resources. I think many of you know exactly what I mean.

I'm not really a pixel peeper, my basic set of Canon Ls and primes work just fine, but I'm also really in love with print-making. And the idea with showing others just how much my own work means to me (and to communities themselves) with highest quality prints (at large exhibition sizes) I can muster is very appealing.

Thanks for your time and careful feedback; I'll keep up the work.

All the best,
Noah
New work: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1459...mp;l=88b82a53e6
Pages: [1]   Go Up