Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2880 or 3880  (Read 5760 times)

Luvntravln

Epson R2880 or 3880
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:14:25 am »

I live in a caravan so space is a premium issue.

The vast majority of my printing will be A3 (these images will be displayed on the doors of the overhead cabinets), and some A2 for our one empty wall and for friends.

The 3880 is bigger and heavier (not that much bigger but certainly a lot heavier!).

The 3880 has much larger cartridges which could be an issue because I will not be printing on a regular basis. Storage life of the ink in the cartridges in the printer and printer head cleaning are serious considerations.

Some of the reviews I have looked at indicate that the 3880 is actually less expensive because the initial purchase of the 3880 with the ink included is less than the 2880 + buying the ink. I haven't been able to find what is actually in the box for each of the units.

All thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:48 pm »

there is a $200 rebate on the 2880 right now so the base price is $549.  You get the nine ink cartridges with a value of $100 so the net printer cost is $449.  The 3880 (which most suppliers are backordered on) has a base price of $1225 and the nine ink cartridges you get have a value of $540 so your net printer cost is $685.  However, the print cartridges are much larger and your net per print costs over the long run will be lower.  I have a 2880 and it's a fine printer; I also have a 3880 on order as my printing volume has increased.  You can't go wrong with either one but need to judge whether your printing volume is low and if it is the 2880 makes sense.

Paul Sumi

Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »

I recently bought a 3880, upgrading from the Epson 2400.  The points made about the larger ink cartridges and ink life are definite considerations.

But one thing I am finding is that I am now making more BIG prints than before (which is the reason I bought the printer).  So even if I am still making the same number of prints, I am using more ink.

So, depending on your print volume and preferred print size, ink life may not be a consideration.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:44:06 pm by Paul Sumi »

Luvntravln

Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »

I should have indicated that I am in Australia; deals in the USA do not apply!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »

Quote from: Luvntravln
I should have indicated that I am in Australia; deals in the USA do not apply!
Not a problem.  You should be able to look up the ink prices in Australia and subtract those from the total printer cost and get numbers that are reasonable.  Both printers will give you outstanding results.  The issue of size and weight is one that only you can make.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »

I’ve got both. Its hard to believe but the 3880 isn’t that much bigger than the 2880. The ink carts sure are so you’ll save over time with the 3880. It also accepts a larger sheet.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Luvntravln

Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 03:52:06 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
I’ve got both. Its hard to believe but the 3880 isn’t that much bigger than the 2880. The ink carts sure are so you’ll save over time with the 3880. It also accepts a larger sheet.

Interestingly, it is the bigger carts that concern me. I will only use the printer 3 - 6 months each year/30 12 x 18 each month; sometimes 18 x 24.

I am even wondering if I am only doing a couple of hundred prints/year, am I better off using a printing company?

Paul Sumi

Epson R2880 or 3880
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

Quote from: Luvntravln
I am even wondering if I am only doing a couple of hundred prints/year, am I better off using a printing company?

My answer is that it depends.  It sounds like you are making prints for yourself and to give to friends, and not to sell?

A lot comes down to how picky you are regarding the quality of the print.  Are you looking for ultimate quality or just good enough?

A photo printer at home is not the most economic way to make prints.  But it does give you a great deal of control over final results and it is very convenient compared to going to a brick and mortar shop.  With a color managed workflow you can make excellent prints.  But you have to stock the paper(s) and sizes you like.  Not to mention ink cartridges that, per milliliter, can cost as much as fine brandy.

I have seen some good prints made at American consumer shops, but most stock limited paper choices and sizes.  There are specialty shops that do high quality work but also charge accordingly.

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up