Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on printing on HP Z3200ps from Adobe InDesign (Mac OS)  (Read 1178 times)

JuergenHulverscheidt

Foreword:
I posted this question already in dpreview's "Printers and Printing" forum, but got only one response so far in which the guy recommended not to use the PS driver.
Though I appreciate every answer (because someone spends their time to deal with my problems), this was not the answer I was looking for … ;-)

So I'm trying the same question here hoping for more answers …

Thanks so far,
Jürgen

-----------------------

Hi everybody!

I'm looking for someone with experience in printing on an HP Z3200ps from Photoshop but also InDesign under MacOS 10.6.2.

I used to print on this printer from a Win XP machine and everything seemed pretty straight forward. I installed the driver and other software, and all HP paper ICC profiles were automatically installed in c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color.
In PS/AI/ID I made the usual settings:

* let application determine colors
    * set color management to None
    * select correct paper
    * set corresponding profile as printer profile

Everything was pretty easy …

Now I'm trying to print from my MacPro (Postscript driver).

After installing the driver and other software, I could find the ICC profiles neither in Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles nor in ~user/Library/ColorSync/Profiles.
The profiles seem to be installed somewhere in the printer, and I can export them manually into either of the directories via the HP Utility if I want.
I did this with a couple of profiles, and now printing from within Photoshop and AI seems to work properly (same settings as under Windows, see above).

However, printing from within InDesign is a completely different story …
(I'd like to print e.g. a calender containing both pictures and text.)

Which settings do I have to make in both InDesign's "Print" and "Printer …" (driver) dialog?

At the moment I'm leaning toward the following:

In InDesign's "Print" dialog, under "Output" I select "Composite Leave unchanged".
Under "Color Management" I select "No Color Management".

In the "Print …" dialog under "Color Matching" (right English name? I've got "only" a German driver …) ColorSync is activated and the profile is set to "Automatic" and it seems as if the driver proposes the profile depending on the paper that's currently loaded in the printer.

The only thing that makes me wonder is the fact that the document profile is reported as "Coated FOGRA27 …" though the page only contains RGB images.
I always thought that when printing "at home", everything should stay in RGB because this is what an Inkjet printer expects. Or is this just the case for less professional printers without Postscript driver?

Could please anyone shed some light on this and tell me whether I'm on the right track?
Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance, best regards and happy printing,
Jürgen

Ernst Dinkla

Question on printing on HP Z3200ps from Adobe InDesign (Mac OS)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:44 am »

In InDesign, if you go to Print Preset and create a Custom Preset that keeps the RGB from the images to driver intact you will get your choice of Printer Profiles included and no reference to Fogra anymore. PS or PCL3 driver (both can exist next to one another), Document, Composite RGB, etc.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Pages: [1]   Go Up