Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on West Virginia  (Read 2168 times)

cerett

• http://
Advice on West Virginia
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:03 am »

I will be in Charleston, West Virginia for several days. Any recommendations for landscape photography in that immediate area. I don't mind driving an hour or two. I have downloaded information on several State Parks, but not sure where to go. Thank you.

Michael H. Cothran

Advice on West Virginia
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

Not sure if this is the most photogenic time of the year, but here are some suggestions -

1. Glade Creek Grist Mill, Babcock State Park. From Charleston, take US 60 East to SR 41, turn south, follow the signs.
This is a great photographic icon, and is easy to photograph from many vantage points. Suggestion - from the parking lot, walk around the mill to the road across the creek, then walk down the road a bit, turn around and shoot from there.

2. Anywhere up and down the New River Gorge/New River National River. Imagine the Grand Canyon covered with trees. Hawk's Nest State Park, nearest Charleston, has a fantastic over view. The New River Bridge, on US 19, has several overviews, including some fantastic views of the bridge, itself - the largest arched bridge in the country. If you care to drive a little farther south to the Beckley area, a must-see view is the Grand View - aptly named, and a litte farther south is the Sandstone Falls, in the quaint town of Hinton.

3. If you drive Northeast almost to the tip of Maryland, you'll find Blackwater Falls State Park and the Monongahela National Forest.

New River Gorge and Glade Creek Grist Mill are closer to you, and give you ample photo ops. Check the web for more info, or check your hotel lobby for brochures.
Blackwater Falls is also a photo haven, but much farther to drive.

Hope this helps.

Michael H. Cothran
Nashville, Tennessee
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:10:00 pm by MichaelHCothran »

vandevanterSH

Advice on West Virginia
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »

The New River Gorge Bridge is worth seeing even if it's not the best time of year for photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_Gorge_Bridge

Steve

Bill in WV

Advice on West Virginia
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:38 am »

Exellent advice and I would add Hawk's Nest State Park which you will pass while on Rte 60 enroute to Babcock for the grist mill. I am probably the only photographer in WV that has yet to photograph that mill. I will probably fill that square this year. But while you are in Charleston, it is not without its own photographic points of interest. To Wit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bill_in_wv/se...57621947122344/
Out state capitol, modeled after the US Capitol is one of the most beautiful in the nation and right here in Charleston.
I went out on a little photo shoot back in the snow days we had with Cathedral Falls high on my list, they were frozen solid and everything around them was winter dead. Not a great experience that time, but with the melt on, and spring only around the corner it should be coming into its own. The Falls are also on Rte 60 just past Gauley Bridge on the left.
When will you be in Charleston? PM me for contact info and personal tips when you get here.

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon
Pages: [1]   Go Up