Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac i7 and HD video editing  (Read 3232 times)

Photon-hunter

iMac i7 and HD video editing
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:00 am »

Hi! I am currently using my early 2009 iMac, 2,66 Mgh and 4 Gb of RAM to produce my high resolution virtual tours and HD video editing, with iMovie for simple projects and FinalCut Express for more complex work. For virtual tours I am using Realviz Stitcher Unlimited. Though I have been extremely happy with my iMac, I have to admit that the rendering times for the virtual tours and specially for the HD video are on the high side. I have come to a point where the time I have to wait besides my machine while it´s doing it´s thing is starting to limit the amount of work I can actually sell...
For that reason I am considering upgrading to the new i7. Now, I have done a lot of investement this year and I am on a tight budget. I am considering getting the i7 with 8GB of RAM.I wonder if anybody here can tell me what is the exact role of RAM in video editing? Is video editing a processor-based task or will RAM have a pronounced impact in the video editing/rendering times-performance of the machine? Will I see a huge improvement in the times if I go for more RAM?
Also, if going for 8GB RAM, does having 2X4 GB or 4X2 GB modules make any difference in the performance, or is it just a way of making later up-grades easier/cheaper?
I would love to hear your experience if you situation is similar to mine and how you re doing with your new i7.
Thanks in advance for all the kind responses and for any input.
Best,
Erik.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:02:22 am by Photon-hunter »

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:44 am »

Quote from: Photon-hunter
... For that reason I am considering upgrading to the new i7. ...
Best,
Erik.
While he focuses on Photoshop performance, a lot of the purchase and configuration ideas in Lloyd Chamber's Macintosh Performance Guide apply to purchasing a Mac for any high performance use, including video processing.

Bob

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:07 pm »

I suggest you visit the Mac forum at HV20/30 forum. and ask your question. This is one of the best sites for HD video editing etc. questions.
Les
ps Don't be put off by the HV20/30 title.

Photon-hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:30:22 am »

Thanks a lot for the links. Very useful. Appreciated.

Best,

Erik.
Pages: [1]   Go Up