Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded to CS4. Do I need a new ICC profile?  (Read 3000 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Upgraded to CS4. Do I need a new ICC profile?
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:25:48 am »

I recently had a custom ICC profile created for Gold Fibre Silk and my Epson 3880 printer.  I was very pleased with the results.  At the time, I was using  and printing with CS3, but I have since upgraded to CS4, and I now notice a distinct change in my prints.  They no longer resemble what I see on my monitor.  

Presumably, this means that I need to have a new custom profile made using CS4.  Is this correct?

Rob

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:42:58 am »

Quote from: robgo2
I recently had a custom ICC profile created for Gold Fibre Silk and my Epson 3880 printer.  I was very pleased with the results.  At the time, I was using  and printing with CS3, but I have since upgraded to CS4, and I now notice a distinct change in my prints.  They no longer resemble what I see on my monitor.  

Presumably, this means that I need to have a new custom profile made using CS4.  Is this correct?

Rob

I've yet to see generic profiles specify PS version.  While it wouldn't surprise me horribly if there was some change I would look more towards your PS settings.  You might not have CS4 setup the same as you did CS3.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:17:49 am »

OpenGL screwed up my monitor profiles with CS4.  My second monitor was fed the same screen profile as the the first one.  Turning OpenGL off might be worth looking at if you use a second monitor.  You have to relaunch PS to see the change.  I assume this behavior is video card specific, even though mine is on the approved list.  Your problem may be something different from my situation, but I didn't have issues on the printing side with profiles being off, just the display side.  I'd at least double check the display before assuming it is a profile issue.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:22 am »

No you should not need a new ICC profile when printing from CS4.

Have you made any system changes recently, e.g., upgrading versions of the OS, or driver version?
Eric Chan

robgo2

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:23 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
No you should not need a new ICC profile when printing from CS4.

Have you made any system changes recently, e.g., upgrading versions of the OS, or driver version?

Eric,

Yes, I also upgraded to Snow Leopard, but my prints looked great, until I installed CS4.  I have not upgraded the Epson driver.  My color space is ProPhoto and my intent is Relative Colorimetric with black point compensation, which are the same settings that were used to make my target images for the original ICC profiles.

Images look fine on my montior, it's the prints that are off.  What is "Open GL?"

Rob

P.S.  Except for this problem, I am much happier with CS4, as it runs about twice as fast as CS3, and I figure that I should be able to hang on to my computer much longer than I otherwise would have.

robgo2

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:28 am »

As I look more carefully at my prints, it seems that the problem may not be one of color accuracy, but rather of brightness.  Prints from CS4 seem much lighter than what I see on my monitor and also lighter than prints from the same files made from CS3.  I did recalibrate my monitor after installing CS4.  Lighter colors, of course, appear to be less saturated.

Is there an explanation for this?  I can always recalibrate my monitor, setting the White Point higher, but are there other matters to consider first?

Rob

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »

Rob-
OpenGL is the new rendering process available in CS4.  You can toggle it on and off in Preferences>Performance.  You will need to relaunch PS to see if it makes a difference.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

robgo2

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Rob-
OpenGL is the new rendering process available in CS4.  You can toggle it on and off in Preferences>Performance.  You will need to relaunch PS to see if it makes a difference.

Ron,

I just checked my PS preferences, and Open GL is checked.  As I said earlier, the images look great on my monitor, so I don't think that is the problem.

Are most people using Open GL?

Rob

hsmeets

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:55:24 pm »

I created 2 paper profiles on a PC and used PS CS3 on that PC. I moved to an iMac with CS4 running Leopard and then moved again to an newer iMac running Snow Leopard. The ICC files are still the ones I created on PC and everything is fine, no differnce in results between the platforms used.

I also did several iterations of printer firmware and printer drivers versions.

I actually took a print, printed from the PC and reprinted it on my latest iMac: no differences between the prints.

(Open/GL active on latest iMac)

Ron,

I just checked my PS preferences, and Open GL is checked.  As I said earlier, the images look great on my monitor, so I don't think that is the problem.

Are most people using Open GL?

Rob
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:56:14 pm by hsmeets »
Cheers,

Huib

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:41:29 pm »

Eric,

Yes, I also upgraded to Snow Leopard, but my prints looked great, until I installed CS4.  I have not upgraded the Epson driver.

Images look fine on my montior, it's the prints that are off.
There can be several issues, but this is most likely related to both Snow Leopard and CS4.  From your statement it sounds like the upgrade to SL was first, CS3 continued to work.

I didn't notice you mention an actual printer model, but you should update to the most recent driver.  There are several threads related to Snow Leopard and printing, especially to Epson printers.  Most complain of density problems.  Some users are having greater difficulties than others but there doesn't seem to be an obvious difference between those having no problems vs. those having greater difficulties.

I assume you verified your display is still set at your target luminance after you installed Snow Leopard?

There is one other possible problem in that Snow Leopard has some challenges with version 4 profiles.  If you custom profile is a version 4 profile you may have a problem with it.  Normally the most obvious sign of this is any areas outside of your image area will print grey instead of no ink.

robgo2

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:12:35 pm »

Quote from: hsmeets
I created 2 paper profiles on a PC and used PS CS3 on that PC. I moved to an iMac with CS4 running Leopard and then moved again to an newer iMac running Snow Leopard. The ICC files are still the ones I created on PC and everything is fine, no differnce in results between the platforms used.

I also did several iterations of printer firmware and printer drivers versions.

I actually took a print, printed from the PC and reprinted it on my latest iMac: no differences between the prints.

(Open/GL active on latest iMac)

Here is some more info that I think may be relevant.  When I had my original profile made (pre-Snow Leopard,) my white point was set for 6500.  Now it is set for Native.  Also, in CS4, I had neglected to set gamma at 2.2.  I made some new prints with gamma 2.2, but the results are the same as the others, meaning that they are unsatisfactory.

Altogether, it seems that my original profile was created with different settings than I am now using, and it might be wisest to have a new one made.  Any other thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

Rob

robgo2

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:28 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
There can be several issues, but this is most likely related to both Snow Leopard and CS4.  From your statement it sounds like the upgrade to SL was first, CS3 continued to work.

I didn't notice you mention an actual printer model, but you should update to the most recent driver.  There are several threads related to Snow Leopard and printing, especially to Epson printers.  Most complain of density problems.  Some users are having greater difficulties than others but there doesn't seem to be an obvious difference between those having no problems vs. those having greater difficulties.

I assume you verified your display is still set at your target luminance after you installed Snow Leopard?

There is one other possible problem in that Snow Leopard has some challenges with version 4 profiles.  If you custom profile is a version 4 profile you may have a problem with it.  Normally the most obvious sign of this is any areas outside of your image area will print grey instead of no ink.

Wayne,

My printer is the Epson 3880, and I do have the latest driver.

Since, I was getting satisfactory prints prior to installing CS4, it seems logical that the problem is related to that version of Photoshop.  I believe that I now have all of the settings where they should be, but the prints have not changed.

I am perfectly willing to have new profiles made by Eric Chan, whose prices are most reasonable.  One thing that puzzles me about Eric's profiles is that the target print is made with the Absolute Colorimetric intent.  But I edit my images in Relative Colorimetric.  Does this mean that I must also print with Absolute Colorimetric?

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up