Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera!  (Read 1767 times)

MR.FEESH

• http://
New Camera!
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:38:18 pm »

After much deliberation, and a lot of media literacy, I have my first DSLR-- a Sigma SD14.

The camera is known for horrible ISO, downright silly white balance, and what people say is low resolution.  All of things are technically true, but if you can emphasize the camera's strengths (color management, gradation, abiltiy to capture texture, sharpness), you'll blow a Bayer sensor camera out of the water that was shooting in the same conditions.  Is there only a handful of situations where the Sigma's IQ would greatly supersede that of a Bayer camera? Sure.  However, I assessed what I look for in order to make a stunning photograph, and I was more than willing to accept this camera's many flaws just to have it's few strengths.

My only lens so far is the 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro, which surpassed my expectations for a walk-around lens.  I'll be getting my close-up lens shortly.

While shooting with this camera, my main concern will be producing images that are true to life.  To me, this means realistic color and lighting, with sharpness close as close to that which our eye perceives.  

This was the first non-studio setting that I've been able to take images with the new camera...a simple sunset out of the 7th floor window of my dorm.

RAW (SPP processed), ISO 50, F/5.6

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say that I'm pleased to introduce the first images from my new setup, and hope to post more as soon as possible!  Thanks for reading,
MR.FEESH
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
New Camera!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »

Those sunsets look very good and quite realistic to me on my calibrated monitor.

I hope the new camera brings you a great amount of satisfaction.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
New Camera!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:27 am »

Yes, good colors on your sunsets. From your description this seems to be the right tool for you so enjoy (and show us more)
pieter, aka pegelli

fredjeang

New Camera!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

Hi MR.FEESH.

First, congratulations for your new gear.
I had the SD14 for some years. It is indeed a very special camera. I ended sell it, but not because of the Foveon "problems", just because of the ergonomics and low (very low) speed. I never ended forget about its operation and the first thing I ask a camera is becoming so natural and discrete that you just forget about it. That is a personal taste of course, and others will like it a lot.
There is a guy on internet who works exclusively with Foveon and there is good informations in his blog: http://www.rytterfalk.com/ for this type of camera.
You will need the best optics in order to push the Foveon to its limits (or take advantage of the full potential-reso).
Nota: Iso 50 on the sd14 is not a real one!   and in fact you loose DR, check for a good explaination on Sigma web or in Carl's website about that fact.
White balance is not that silly, it just has to be manual in most of the cases, because this sensor is particularly sensitive.
I'm still into a DP serie.
Hope you will enjoy your Sigma.

Regards,

Fred.

MR.FEESH

New Camera!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:20 am »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Those sunsets look very good and quite realistic to me on my calibrated monitor.

I hope the new camera brings you a great amount of satisfaction.

Eric

Honestly, I'm sure my camera choice raised some interesting thoughts in the minds of those who saw this thread, however-- as you suggested-- I certainly feel (so far) that I am more than satisfied with my purchase

Also, thanks for the confirmation on the colors-- my monitor isn't calibrated (yet...?).

Quote from: pegelli
Yes, good colors on your sunsets. From your description this seems to be the right tool for you so enjoy (and show us more)

I'll post as often as I can  

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi MR.FEESH.

First, congratulations for your new gear.
I had the SD14 for some years. It is indeed a very special camera. I ended sell it, but not because of the Foveon "problems", just because of the ergonomics and low (very low) speed. I never ended forget about its operation and the first thing I ask a camera is becoming so natural and discrete that you just forget about it. That is a personal taste of course, and others will like it a lot.
There is a guy on internet who works exclusively with Foveon and there is good informations in his blog: http://www.rytterfalk.com/ for this type of camera.
You will need the best optics in order to push the Foveon to its limits (or take advantage of the full potential-reso).
Nota: Iso 50 on the sd14 is not a real one!   and in fact you loose DR, check for a good explaination on Sigma web or in Carl's website about that fact.
White balance is not that silly, it just has to be manual in most of the cases, because this sensor is particularly sensitive.
I'm still into a DP serie.
Hope you will enjoy your Sigma.

Regards,

Fred.

I'm sure it's slow compared to most cameras, but I came from a Panasonic FZ50 that I dare say took its sweet old time with buffering images-- in comparison, my SD14 right quick.  I personally have no qualms with its setup.  I'm intrigued by your comment at about ISO 50...if I can't find it in the link you provided I may be PM-ing you for a better explanation.

MR.FEESH
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

fredjeang

New Camera!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:25:00 am »

Quote from: MR.FEESH
Honestly, I'm sure my camera choice raised some interesting thoughts in the minds of those who saw this thread, however-- as you suggested-- I certainly feel (so far) that I am more than satisfied with my purchase

Also, thanks for the confirmation on the colors-- my monitor isn't calibrated (yet...?).

I'll post as often as I can  

I'm sure it's slow compared to most cameras, but I came from a Panasonic FZ50 that I dare say took its sweet old time with buffering images-- in comparison, my SD14 right quick.  I personally have no qualms with its setup.  I'm intrigued by your comment at about ISO 50...if I can't find it in the link you provided I may be PM-ing you for a better explanation.

MR.FEESH
Hi, you might want to write to Carl in the link above. I remember he spoke clearly about that fact but I can not find the link any more, it was a long time ago. Sure he will explains you exactly why, and how to use the 50 for best results (conflictive in highlights). Iso 50 is an extended mode, not a native one so there is a trick. You have less noise but is not comparable to a native Iso50. Technicians gurus will explain that here if you ask. I just remember that I was using it a lot with good results but you loose DR in highlights so you have to be very carreful with the exposure.

Cheers.

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:31:54 am by fredjeang »

MR.FEESH

New Camera!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi, you might want to write to Carl in the link above. I remember he spoke clearly about that fact but I can not find the link any more, it was a long time ago. Sure he will explains you exactly why, and how to use the 50 for best results (conflictive in highlights). Iso 50 is an extended mode, not a native one so there is a trick. You have less noise but is not comparable to a native Iso50. Technicians gurus will explain that here if you ask. I just remember that I was using it a lot with good results but you loose DR in highlights so you have to be very carreful with the exposure.

Cheers.

Fred.

Ooh...that does sound like something to look into.  I didn't know it wasn't native.  Since I updated firmware I've been shooting ISO50 religiously as there is legitimately almost no noise.  Like the images I've taken so far with it are all smooth as silk.  However if what you say is true regarding loosing some dynamic range in the brighter parts of the photograph when using ISO50, then perhaps I'll read up on the issue and switch back to ISO100 because I have Light Room and can always edit out noise from ISO100, which usually isn't too bad anyway.  I'll see if I can find any info on the matter.
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

fredjeang

New Camera!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »

Quote from: MR.FEESH
Ooh...that does sound like something to look into.  I didn't know it wasn't native.  Since I updated firmware I've been shooting ISO50 religiously as there is legitimately almost no noise.  Like the images I've taken so far with it are all smooth as silk.  However if what you say is true regarding loosing some dynamic range in the brighter parts of the photograph when using ISO50, then perhaps I'll read up on the issue and switch back to ISO100 because I have Light Room and can always edit out noise from ISO100, which usually isn't too bad anyway.  I'll see if I can find any info on the matter.
Iso 50 is ok. I think they did it for the studio (controled light where Foveon excels). Carl is very happy with the 50, but it is more difficult to use.
Sigma says: shoot manual at 50iso, and to be very carefull of exposure in the highlights. So it is more a question of testing. I did use it all the time because of no noise, but I used it with center mesurement in full manual.
But Foveon likes light, more on the right than Bayer and you can recuperate a lot in post-prod.
Cheers,

Fred.
Pages: [1]   Go Up