Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cleaning a phase one back  (Read 3600 times)

tmx3

cleaning a phase one back
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:47 am »

I'm really struggling with cleaning the sensor on a p45. I've been shown how to do it and have just watched the video on phase ones site to confirm i'm doing it correctly. What i find is that when i wipe the sensor with the b fluid it either leaves streaks, or excess liquid. The streaking seems to happen when there is not enough/uneven amounts of liquid on the sensor (maybe on the 2nd/third wipe). When you look at it directly you can't always see it but when you hold the sensor up to a light source and look across it you can see it. Do people apply the liquid to the tissue before they fold it onto the scrapper or once it is folded - neither seems to work for me. Also how many drops of the liquid do people  put on? any hints  greatfully received!

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »

I have trouble with that too. I find once it is clean though, I can just use the dry method with a sensor brush to clean the dust. I feel like the wet method should not be needed very often.

jimban

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

Hi-

I use Phototex Scanner wipes for wet cleaning either lenses or sensors.  They are lint free and absorbent so one can mop up any liquid while cleaning.

http://www.baypressservices.com/acatalog/P...nner_Wipes.html

jim

tmx3

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:04:55 pm »

Thanks for your replies, although i have to say i'm not particularly keen on forking out on an additional product. I just did a test on a plate of glass, when i used a third (fluidless) wipe after using fluid b to buff the glass this seems to work ok -is there any issue here?? I mean its the same type of wipe, just without the fluid. Seems to work ok - how could this damage the glass?? Do other people do this?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »

Quote from: tmx3
Thanks for your replies, although i have to say i'm not particularly keen on forking out on an additional product. I just did a test on a plate of glass, when i used a third (fluidless) wipe after using fluid b to buff the glass this seems to work ok -is there any issue here?? I mean its the same type of wipe, just without the fluid. Seems to work ok - how could this damage the glass?? Do other people do this?

The cleaning kit that is supplied with Phase One digital backs gets everything right.....except the wipes. While the wipes they include do an ok job of absorbing the clear solution, the blue doesn't absorb well at all.

My recommendation is, for 90% of your maintenance, an anti-static brush like the Butterfly or even a Kinetronics. For something more than dust, the Phase One clear solution usually will work fine, unless something more stubborn is on the IR filter. In that case, the blue agent is more effective. But then the problem is the wipes do a poor job absorbing. The solution (no pun) is purchase a pack of cleaning wipes that are sold by Leaf. These are lint-free, perfectly absorbent wipes. They cost $30 for a pack (I think 20 or 30 per pack). I've sold these for years with Leaf and Sinar backs (Sinar also uses the same wipes, though in the US their kit is 3 times the price of the Phase One kit). My hope is that with the new Leaf/Phase One partnership, Leaf will tap Phase One on the shoulder and say "Pssst....try these instead".

Anyway, just my opinion. This thread has come up many times and everyone has their own take and experience. This is just my experience.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Henry Goh

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:42 pm »

From what I have experienced, the Blue solution is akin to your Window cleaning liquid like Windex.  This has the soapy cleaning power but streaks.  The second solution is Isopropyl alchohol and this is supposed to remove the streaks because it evaporates very quickly.  The cloth supplied is of course not absorbent because it is not cotton based.  What I do is use sufficient amount of the Blue liquid to dislodge whatever gunk I'm trying to remove and then I would use a fresh cloth with generous amount of the alcohol to clean over and that way with each pass, the residual solutions on the sensor glass gets evaporated quickly and that leaves no streaks.  I find that if I have a rather wet residue of the first solution and use too little alcohol then I end up with streaks.  Hope my experience will be helpful.

One big caution is always make sure you do not scratch the glass with the edge of the plastic spatula.

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:58 pm »

Quote from: Henry Goh
From what I have experienced, the Blue solution is akin to your Window cleaning liquid like Windex.  This has the soapy cleaning power but streaks.  The second solution is Isopropyl alchohol and this is supposed to remove the streaks because it evaporates very quickly.  The cloth supplied is of course not absorbent because it is not cotton based.  What I do is use sufficient amount of the Blue liquid to dislodge whatever gunk I'm trying to remove and then I would use a fresh cloth with generous amount of the alcohol to clean over and that way with each pass, the residual solutions on the sensor glass gets evaporated quickly and that leaves no streaks.  I find that if I have a rather wet residue of the first solution and use too little alcohol then I end up with streaks.  Hope my experience will be helpful.

One big caution is always make sure you do not scratch the glass with the edge of the plastic spatula.

Yes, exactly. I take a wipe, fold in half, then fold in half again. Then I hold that against the blue bottle, turn it upside down, usually 2 times in succession to create about a thumbnail-sized moist area. Then I repeat (with a new wipe) for the clear solution. This works perfectly for me.

Do be careful with the spatula. In the Sinar kits, they include a similar spatula with one difference, it is metal. Be especially careful with that one.    

Steve Hendrix

tmx3

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:45:16 pm »

ok may check out the leaf wipes- thanks steve - am based in the uk unfortunately so i cant count myself a potential customer. I've seen people use rosco lens tissue before and i brought some today and this worked pretty well on my test sheet of glass. i folded four times as its a bit thinner than the phase wipes, but a lot more absorbent. No one replied as to whether there was an issue mopping up indivdual bits afterwards - or is there a reason for not doing it this way? Thanks for all your help

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »

ok may check out the leaf wipes- thanks steve - am based in the uk unfortunately so i cant count myself a potential customer. I've seen people use rosco lens tissue before and i brought some today and this worked pretty well on my test sheet of glass. i folded four times as its a bit thinner than the phase wipes, but a lot more absorbent. No one replied as to whether there was an issue mopping up indivdual bits afterwards - or is there a reason for not doing it this way? Thanks for all your help

TMX3

I wouldn't recommend the lens tissue for cleaning your sensor.

The folding method I use (fold in half once, then again) is only on the Leaf wipes.

Peartree should be able to hook you up with a pack.

www.peartreephoto.com

Steve Hendrix

tmx3

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 05:57:32 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
TMX3

I wouldn't recommend the lens tissue for cleaning your sensor.

The folding method I use (fold in half once, then again) is only on the Leaf wipes.

Peartree should be able to hook you up with a pack.

www.peartreephoto.com

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, but can you explain why you wouldnt use lens tissue? If its good enough for a lens why not a sensor?

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 06:04:35 pm »

Thanks Steve, but can you explain why you wouldnt use lens tissue? If its good enough for a lens why not a sensor?

Technically, I don't know why. This is more a personal preference more than anything. I have a bias for certain types of material when it comes to cleaning and I've never liked lens tissues, even for lenses. They may be perfectly fine. But I don't know of any digital back manufacturer that has ever provided them. So, that along with my own personal bias makes lens tissues a no-go for cleaning a digital back sensor.

There may be more technical reasons why they are not ideal or they may actually be just fine.

But regardless, I am 100% certain of the solution I use and recommend and I have used that with all of the digital backs on the market for the past decade, having cleaned maybe a hundred or so different individual digital backs.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:05:50 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Pages: [1]   Go Up