Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible B/W Nirvana  (Read 6729 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:15 am »

Jeremy

Thank you so much, that link to the help files answered my questions straight off. What threw me last night was a question of terminology - Resize To Fit did not ring my bells, I would have expected something like Image Size or Resample or something like that. Just what you're used to, I suppose. Now I will slink off and not pester you any more (I have to repair the database systems here at work). BTW, my broadband link at home is too slow to support video, and here at work all streaming video is blocked on the our network. So it's a help file or a book or nuttin'.

However, this does raise an issue with LR in that as far as I can see one has no control at all over image up or down resampling (choosing methods like bicubic etc). Basically it's a black box - you put the file in at one end and it sends something to the printer but we know not what. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I am used to resampling the image to print size dimensions and output dpi, then applying output sharpening, then placing it on my page and sending to the printer.

John
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:51:03 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

colinb

Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
I recommend you abandon and completely forget this method. It'll work, but is cumbersome and only existed as a workaround for a noise-related problem which Adobe subsequently fixed. Unfortunately the internet means that obsolete techniques accumulate and are indistinguishable from good, current advice.

When did the problem get fixed? That's to say, did it come with LR2, or was it one of the point releases since then?

thanks

c

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 06:32:21 am »

Just a quick update.

I downloaded the Lightroom pdf User Manual and put that on my image editing PC with a desktop shortcut, and I can now quickly look stuff up when I need to. So I am all fixed up. My previous issues were due either to ignorance or ongoing senility, so my thanks for your patience. I am now more convinced than ever that Lightroom is the way forward for my particular aims and objectives, with some fairly minor reservations (but then nothing is ever perfect). If I have further questions, I will post them in the Lightroom section.

Best Regards

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 06:33:27 pm »

Quote from: colinb
When did the problem get fixed? That's to say, did it come with LR2, or was it one of the point releases since then?
Sorry, I can't remember. But it was long ago - very soon after Martin Evening's article pointed out the bug (which was that noise reduction was disabled in b&w mode). Probably a LR1 point release.

John
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:35:39 pm by johnbeardy »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:23 am »

Quote from: John R Smith
Lord, no, I don't want a video - I just want a proper user manual like we used to get with a decent index where I can grab the section on "Export to TIFF" or whatever and get the answer fast. I used Corel Photo Paint 9 for years with the manual that came in the box and it was absolutely first-class.
The huge benefit of video over a printed manual is that you can see exactly what is being done. Way too many explanations in manuals/how to books are simply not well written enough and very far from first class. You can buy DVD instructional videos [from this site even] to get around your internet limitations.

I use video capture for some bug reporting when software testing as the software engineers can see exactly what the problem is. Much better than relying on descriptions even if using  screen grabs.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:35 am »

Sorry, I can't remember. But it was long ago - very soon after Martin Evening's article pointed out the bug (which was that noise reduction was disabled in b&w mode). Probably a LR1 point release.
I think v2 addressed this flaw. It used to drive me nuts.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:56 am »

Quote from: jjj
I think v2 addressed this flaw. It used to drive me nuts.
I'm almost certain it was earlier, one of the later 1.x releases. But some things aren't worth disagreeing over - let alone reinstalling old versions to prove one's suspicion. The key point to emphasise is that the -100% saturation method is completely, thankfully, obsolete.

John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Possible B/W Nirvana
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 08:18:40 am »

I'm almost certain it was earlier, one of the later 1.x releases. But some things aren't worth disagreeing over - let alone reinstalling old versions to prove one's suspicion. The key point to emphasise is that the -100% saturation method is completely, thankfully, obsolete.

John
This is correct according to Martin Evening's most recent Lightroom book.  He also has video tutorials on both methods on this site, but you need to do a bit of digging to find them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up