Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So my sales rep told me that DOF on the HC 120 Macro is special - true?  (Read 7667 times)

petermarrek

So my sales rep told me that DOF on the HC 120 Macro is special - true?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »

The way it was explained to me many moons ago by a Crown GrapHic guy, depth of field is really just acceptable unsharpness, only what the lens is focused on is truly sharp.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

So my sales rep told me that DOF on the HC 120 Macro is special - true?
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 04:30:47 am »

Quote from: petermarrek
The way it was explained to me many moons ago by a Crown GrapHic guy, depth of field is really just acceptable unsharpness, only what the lens is focused on is truly sharp.

Hi Peter,

While that may be somewhat true for extremely fine grained film, there is an upper limit to "truly sharp". For one, the lens has it's limitations to resolve detail. Second the capture medium (sensor/film) has it's limits, most notably the sensel dimensions set an abrupt limit (smoother transition with AA-filtered sensors). And third, the viewing distance imposes a limit on resolving (micro-)contrast beyond a certain viewing distance.

They all influence the combined system MTF, with the 'worst' contributor of them having the most influence.

However, the OP's question was more about comparing a specific lens to similar ones, and if/how that affects the DOF when leaving the other variables unchanged.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up