Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving in JPEG after LR edit in PS  (Read 1823 times)

chasgroh

• Chashots
Saving in JPEG after LR edit in PS
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:55 pm »

...using Bridge as a viewer and going direct to Photoshop puts me in Camera Raw...from there to PS to process and I can save as anything I like...but when using Lightroom (2.6) and choosing to edit in Photoshop (CS4) I find my save options are limited, I do not have the option of saving as a JPEG, but, instead, have to save as a Tiff and commit to the JPEG save in Lightroom...what am I missing???  

cg
Charlie Groh

...only dead fish go with the flow.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:49 pm »

Quote from: chasgroh
...using Bridge as a viewer and going direct to Photoshop puts me in Camera Raw...from there to PS to process and I can save as anything I like...but when using Lightroom (2.6) and choosing to edit in Photoshop (CS4) I find my save options are limited, I do not have the option of saving as a JPEG, but, instead, have to save as a Tiff and commit to the JPEG save in Lightroom...what am I missing???  

cg
I think if you open up a 16-bit TIFF in Photoshop you need to convert to 8-bit before the option to save as a jpeg shows up in the dialogue.

In 16-bit mode, I think you can "Save for Web & Devices" and make am 8-bit JPEG directly without converting to 8-bit first.

When you go the Bridge route, I think you may be opening up an 8-bit image in PS from ACR and that's why you get the JPEG save option in the menu ...

Pretty sure that's it.

chasgroh

• Chashots
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:23:12 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I think if you open up a 16-bit TIFF in Photoshop you need to convert to 8-bit before the option to save as a jpeg shows up in the dialogue.

In 16-bit mode, I think you can "Save for Web & Devices" and make am 8-bit JPEG directly without converting to 8-bit first.

When you go the Bridge route, I think you may be opening up an 8-bit image in PS from ACR and that's why you get the JPEG save option in the menu ...

Pretty sure that's it.

YUP!...that was a seminal lesson...it's a layers thing (no pun!); I still have a long way to go to bedrock, but things like this make that ol' lightbulb burn much brighter.  Thanks!  Now, that said, *is* 16 bit (or 14 that my Nikon saves at) the place to be 100% of the time?

cg
Charlie Groh

...only dead fish go with the flow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up