Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Management Primer Recommendation  (Read 2146 times)

Kit-V

Color Management Primer Recommendation
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »

The more I learn about color management, the more I realize how little I know. However, I am certainly not discouraged since realizing what I don't know is a sign of increasing knowledge.
Rather than inundate this forum with numerous basic questions, I would prefer (as I am sure all of you would agree) to acquire the bulk of my knowledge through independent research & save a few specific questions for this forum.

With that in mind, I would truly appreciate your recommendations on books, tutorials, websites, etc. that offer clear, concise information on color management workflow from camera to printer. Although a certain amount of theory is necessary, I am specifically interested in the practical application of color management. My objective is to control my workflow so that the image I view on my display will be replicated as closely as possible in my prints.

Thank you in advance for help.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

Uh- well start with this website. Go to the Luminous-Landscape Store and order the video download "From Camera to Print". Most of what you need to know is right there.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Pat Herold

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:16:51 pm »

We get asked questions like that often enough at CHROMiX that we wrote an article for one of our newsletters all about how to learn more about color management.  I especially recommend checking out the "Color Management Myths" to learn a lot of knowledge in a short amount of reading:

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Management_Answers
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »

Quote from: kitvercella
With that in mind, I would truly appreciate your recommendations on books,
"Color management for Photographers" by Andrew Rodney, pub: Focal Press

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »

Quote from: kitvercella
The more I learn about color management, the more I realize how little I know. However, I am certainly not discouraged since realizing what I don't know is a sign of increasing knowledge.
Rather than inundate this forum with numerous basic questions, I would prefer (as I am sure all of you would agree) to acquire the bulk of my knowledge through independent research & save a few specific questions for this forum.

With that in mind, I would truly appreciate your recommendations on books, tutorials, websites, etc. that offer clear, concise information on color management workflow from camera to printer. Although a certain amount of theory is necessary, I am specifically interested in the practical application of color management. My objective is to control my workflow so that the image I view on my display will be replicated as closely as possible in my prints.

Thank you in advance for help.

Kit

Color management is actually a lot easier than most people think. When I got seriously into digital photography a couple of years ago, I was prepared for a difficult task of getting prints and screen to match, but to my great surprise it worked perfectly the first time and I've never had any problems with it. Calibrate your monitor with a ColorMunki or similar device and use the correct profile for your printer/paper combination, that's the gist of it. Some other things to attend to:

1) Arrange your workstation in a spot with low ambient light and no color casts.
2) Use soft proofing.
3) Make sure color management is turned on in your software or printer driver, not both and not neither.
4) View prints using appropriate lighting (not ordinary fluorescents, for example).

The From Camera to Print tutorial, sold on this site, covers color management and a host of other topics - well worth the cost, IMO.

Kit-V

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your input. After I am able to absorb the information that I need (& hopefully sort out objectivity from personal bias) & assimilate it into my workflow, I know that I will have a few specific concerns. The good news is: now I know who to ask. Thanks again.
Falling Fork Photography

Kit-V

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

Quote from: pherold
We get asked questions like that often enough at CHROMiX that we wrote an article for one of our newsletters all about how to learn more about color management.  I especially recommend checking out the "Color Management Myths" to learn a lot of knowledge in a short amount of reading:

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Management_Answers

Patrick,

Thank you for the link to the CHROMiX newsletter, as well as the source cited therein. This is the kind of information that I need to digest.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up