Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS4 from 32-64bit?  (Read 10896 times)

walter.sk

Photoshop CS4 from 32-64bit?
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »

After a near-traumatic upgrade from XPPro to Windows7 64bit, I finally got most of my stuff working satisfactorily.  Now I find that Photophop CS4 32 bit does not want me to be able to select GPU acceleration.

I know that some people have a 64-bit version of PHotoshop CS4, but I have not found a way on the Adobe website to upgrade to the 64bit version.

Is it possible to download the 64bit version and either install it over my current Photoshop?  How would it handle my plugins, such as NIK, Focus Magic, Topaz, etc?

JerseyT

• Judd Photo Page
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:21 pm »

When I installed CS4 in a new machine with 64-bit Win 7, it automatically installed both 32- and 64-bit versions.  Both are there, so pick the one you want to start.
I suspect 32-bit is installed because most plug-ins, etc won't work with 64-bit unless you have new versions.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:04:50 pm »

Quote from: tomjudd1
When I installed CS4 in a new machine with 64-bit Win 7, it automatically installed both 32- and 64-bit versions.  Both are there, so pick the one you want to start.
I suspect 32-bit is installed because most plug-ins, etc won't work with 64-bit unless you have new versions.
I have the 32 bit CS4 on my WIN7 64bit machine.  When I upgraded to this from XP, I used PCMover to migrate my programs from XP.  I had to request from Adobe that they allow another activation.

I have a CD with the downloaded version of PS CS4, which I bought from the Adobe online store.  Would that file include the 64-bit version?  What would happen if I did an install from the CD with the downloaded version?  Would it wipe out my current 32-bit version?  Would I need another activation?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

I'd deactivate CS4 on the machine, uninstall and then reinstall from the disk.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:06:15 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
After a near-traumatic upgrade from XPPro to Windows7 64bit, I finally got most of my stuff working satisfactorily.  Now I find that Photophop CS4 32 bit does not want me to be able to select GPU acceleration.

I know that some people have a 64-bit version of PHotoshop CS4, but I have not found a way on the Adobe website to upgrade to the 64bit version.

Is it possible to download the 64bit version and either install it over my current Photoshop?  How would it handle my plugins, such as NIK, Focus Magic, Topaz, etc?

On a 64 bit system, both versions of PS are installed. As for the GPU acceleration, are you sure your video card supports it? In theory, PS offers that option only when the hardware is appropriate.

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »

Thanks to all for the ideas.  I ended up deactivating my CS4 32-bit version, then uninstalling it.  Unfortunately, since I had the upgrade version of CS4 it would not install without the serial number of a previous version, or an installation of it.  Since my previous versions were all upgrade types except for Photoshop 5.5, the only way I could reinstall was to install 5.5, then 7, then CS2.  Once they were all on the machine I was able to install CS4 in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and when I opened them they were already activated.  Whew!

I tried putting a copy of my Plugins folder in another place and pointing the 64-bit CS4 to it as a 2nd plugins folder, but no luck.  I can't access any of my 3rd-party plugins even though some are said to work in the 64 bit environment.

At any rate, now that I have my CS4 back, I'm happy.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »

I tried putting a copy of my Plugins folder in another place and pointing the 64-bit CS4 to it as a 2nd plugins folder, but no luck.  I can't access any of my 3rd-party plugins even though some are said to work in the 64 bit environment.

You need the 64-bit versions to go in the 64-bit plugin folder ... your old plugins are 32-bit.  There may be 64-bit versions, but you wouldn't have them.

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:32 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
You need the 64-bit versions to go in the 64-bit plugin folder ... your old plugins are 32-bit.  There may be 64-bit versions, but you wouldn't have them.
Yep!  I'm going to search for 64=bit versions when they come out.

Another question:  Should I have 2 versions of the Bridge?  There seems to be only one, and if it is open first, it sends pictures to the 64bit CS4.  If I open the 32bit CS4 first and then click on the icon that opens Bridge, apparently I can then use Bridge to communicate with the 32 bit version of CS4.  Is that how it is supposed to work?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:12:03 pm »

Yep!  I'm going to search for 64=bit versions when they come out.

Another question:  Should I have 2 versions of the Bridge?  There seems to be only one, and if it is open first, it sends pictures to the 64bit CS4.  If I open the 32bit CS4 first and then click on the icon that opens Bridge, apparently I can then use Bridge to communicate with the 32 bit version of CS4.  Is that how it is supposed to work?

My approach is to ignore the 64 bit version of PS. You can set Lightroom to open photos in the 32 bit version, perhaps the same is true of Bridge. In theory, 64 bit PS will be somewhat faster for some operations, but the hassle of non-functioning plug-ins, keeping duplicate actions and the like have convinced me to use the 32 bit version only for now.

AFairley

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
My approach is to ignore the 64 bit version of PS. You can set Lightroom to open photos in the 32 bit version, perhaps the same is true of Bridge. In theory, 64 bit PS will be somewhat faster for some operations, but the hassle of non-functioning plug-ins, keeping duplicate actions and the like have convinced me to use the 32 bit version only for now.

on a Win7 64 bit build, I ended up unistalling CS4 and reinstalling only the 32 bit versions.  Eliminated plug-in compatibility problems, images opening in 64-bit version instead of 32-bit version out of ACR, and from what I have heard, you only will see a difference using 64bit CS4 if you are working in huge images - a couple of gigabytes in size.  Not what you usually run into in photo processing.  Just remember to deactivate before you uninstall.

walter.sk

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:23 pm »

Well, I just ignore the 64bit CS4 and use the 32bit version.  I have two problems, and I wonder if anybody else has experienced them.

1)  The cursor sometimes becomes barely visible, and instead of showing the little hand when I type H, it shows what looks like 3 tiny crowns.  When I go to an adjustment layer, Curves, for example, it turns into a line of two faint vertical bars and a plus sign.  While I can still do what I need to it makes it almost impossible to re-adjust a previously placed point on the curve.

2)  Using Free Transform no longer works the way it used to.  I had always been able to pull on a corner handle while holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift down and get the Perspective adjustment.  If I held the Alt-Shift down I could Scale the image, and if I held the Ctrl down I could distort by pulling on any handle, changing only that side of the image.  Now, some of the combinations seem only to move the layer, and others give unexpected results.

I confidently figured that it was a corrupted Preferences file, so I restarted CS4 by trashing the old Prefs fle and starting a new one.  Nothing changed.

Help!

walter.sk

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:03 pm »

Solved!

Another search on the Adobe site led to an article concerning cursors and Windows Display custom text size.  I had mine set to the largest I could and still keep the test within proper bounds in the menus, etc (156%).  I tried reducing it and found that at 140% I get my Hand cursor back in CS4.  In addition, the Free Transform handles work exactly the way they used to.

Whew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up