Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Borderless Sheets 9900  (Read 2029 times)

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
Printing Borderless Sheets 9900
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »

ok, I'm full of stupid questions lately...lol

Does the 9900 not support borderless printing on 11" wide sheets?
I have a customer that is looking for 11 X 14's using 11 X 17 sheets...but both the 11 X 14 and 11 X 17 sheet options do not offer a borderless option...am I just dense and need to size the image to 11.25 wide or something like that?

StevenSzabo

• http://www.stevenszabophoto.com
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »

anyone?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:11:53 pm »

Unlike the 3880 which will print borderless on some sheet sizes, I don't believe the 79/9900 printers support full bleed borderless printing on sheet paper, only on roll paper.  You might be able to hack around, just oversizing might not work, you'll may also have to convince the printer it has something other than an 11" wide sheet of paper in it.  So I'm not saying it can't be done, I've just never tried it myself.

Here's a quote from the spec sheet ...

BorderFree® Printing Left and right borderless “bleed” printing for the following roll media widths: SP7900   10", 13", 16", 17", 24" SP9900   10", 13", 16", 17", 24", 36", 44" Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length when printing on roll media.

You cannot print the full length of sheet of paper, minimum I believe is .25" at top and .56" at bottom or something like that, so you can't print 14" on the 14" sheet paper.  So to get the 11x14 you would have to trick the printer to handle the 11" borderless, and print on 17" paper then cut it to 14".

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:36 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Unlike the 3880 which will print borderless on some sheet sizes, I don't believe the 79/9900 printers support full bleed borderless printing on sheet paper, only on roll paper.  You might be able to hack around, just oversizing might not work, you'll may also have to convince the printer it has something other than an 11" wide sheet of paper in it.  So I'm not saying it can't be done, I've just never tried it myself.

Here's a quote from the spec sheet ...

BorderFree® Printing Left and right borderless “bleed” printing for the following roll media widths: SP7900   10", 13", 16", 17", 24" SP9900   10", 13", 16", 17", 24", 36", 44" Top and bottom edges can be automatically cut to any length when printing on roll media.

You cannot print the full length of sheet of paper, minimum I believe is .25" at top and .56" at bottom or something like that, so you can't print 14" on the 14" sheet paper.  So to get the 11x14 you would have to trick the printer to handle the 11" borderless, and print on 17" paper then cut it to 14".

The *900 series printers do support borderless printing on cut sheet, but only on certain pre-defined sizes.

Under windows, if you choose an unsupported size in sheet when you click Borderless it will present you with the list of paper sizes and only valid ones will be available (others being greyed out).

The available borderless sheet sizes are (for 9900 - the 7900 obviously is won't include sizes that are physically too large for it):

A3+, A1, A1+, A0+, 17x22", 24x36", 36x48", B2, B1, B0+, 10x12", 16x20", 24x30", 30x40cm, 36x44"
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:48 am »

Quote from: Farmer
The *900 series printers do support borderless printing on cut sheet, but only on certain pre-defined sizes.

Under windows, if you choose an unsupported size in sheet when you click Borderless it will present you with the list of paper sizes and only valid ones will be available (others being greyed out).

The available borderless sheet sizes are (for 9900 - the 7900 obviously is won't include sizes that are physically too large for it):

A3+, A1, A1+, A0+, 17x22", 24x36", 36x48", B2, B1, B0+, 10x12", 16x20", 24x30", 30x40cm, 36x44"
So does it actually work?  You can create borderless custom sizes on the Mac,  but they won't print borderless.

Page 89 of the 79/9900 User Guide under printing from Mac OS ...
"Margins are required at the top and bottom of the page on cut sheets.  Full borderless printing is available on roll paper only"

Page 136 of the manual under Windows printing ...
"Note that borderless printing applies only to the left and right sides of the page on cut sheets; margins are required at the top and bottom of the page.  For full-bleed borderless printing, use roll paper."

From this my assumption is the the printer doesn't have a feed mechanism to handle printing all the way to the top and bottom of a cut sheet.  

To the OP, from the manual I'm assuming 11" width borderless printing isn't supported.  However, I don't know if the size restrictions on width only apply on rolls, not sheets.  You may be able to trick the printer by making it think it has a wider sheet that is a supported size, and then move the image area all of the way to one side in the PS dialog box.  To do this you may have to turn off the paper size check option in the printer setup menu.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:16:00 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
So does it actually work?  You can create borderless custom sizes on the Mac,  but they won't print borderless.

Page 89 of the 79/9900 User Guide under printing from Mac OS ...
"Margins are required at the top and bottom of the page on cut sheets.  Full borderless printing is available on roll paper only"

Page 136 of the manual under Windows printing ...
"Note that borderless printing applies only to the left and right sides of the page on cut sheets; margins are required at the top and bottom of the page.  For full-bleed borderless printing, use roll paper."

From this my assumption is the the printer doesn't have a feed mechanism to handle printing all the way to the top and bottom of a cut sheet.  

To the OP, from the manual I'm assuming 11" width borderless printing isn't supported.  However, I don't know if the size restrictions on width only apply on rolls, not sheets.  You may be able to trick the printer by making it think it has a wider sheet that is a supported size, and then move the image area all of the way to one side in the PS dialog box.  To do this you may have to turn off the paper size check option in the printer setup menu.

Didn't have time to actually test - been forever since I wanted to do a borderless.  I'll test tomorrow when I'm in the office.  You're probably right in that it's edge to edge only.

Roll shouldn't be a problem - again, I'll run a test.  It'll be handy to know even though it doesn't come up too often.
Phil Brown

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:17:32 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Didn't have time to actually test - been forever since I wanted to do a borderless.  I'll test tomorrow when I'm in the office.  You're probably right in that it's edge to edge only.

Roll shouldn't be a problem - again, I'll run a test.  It'll be handy to know even though it doesn't come up too often.

OK - just ran a quick test on a 17x22" sheet.  Borderless is just edge to edge left to right.  The leading edge is a very small margin (but visible) and the trailing edge is a bit more significant.

On roll paper, it's the same story.  I tested on a 16" roll with a custom size of 16x28.44" and it's left to right edge to edge, but a margin leading and trailing.

You should be able to do "borderless" on rolls with widths that correspond with the sheet sizes I mentioned above.  If you look on the platten area you can see the pads for the overspray in various locations along the length - these will be the lengths at which borderless is supported.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up