Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grr! Win7 changed Lightroom function  (Read 4867 times)

walter.sk

Grr! Win7 changed Lightroom function
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »

I've been using Lightroom for several years.  When I upload my CF cards, I use Files>Import Photos From Device.  When the dialogue comes up, under Copy To I can browse and select the drive (not C) and folder I want for my picture files.

I just changed from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit.  Lo and behold, when I do the same thing in Lightroom and go to browse to the the same disk and folder I have been using in XP I find that the only browsing I can do is on the C:  drive!  I tried right-clicking, left-clicking, and even hitting the computer with my palm a couple of times, but to no avail.

I have already synchronized my picture folders again, and updated my Lightroom library, so it has nothing to do with that.
And yes, I made sure that my several drives were accessible to Windows 7. One of them had to be "imported" using the storage management stuff, but I can browse all of my drives with My Computer or Windows Explorer, so that is not the problem.

Any ideas out there?  I don't want to believe that this change is a new "feature" added by Microsoft.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:33:26 pm by walter.sk »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:52 pm »

Can you screen shot what you are talking about?

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:50 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Can you screen shot what you are talking about?
[attachment=20557:Lightroom_Problem.jpg]

Here is the screen shot of the Import From Device window and the Choose window.  There is no way to browse my F:  drive or any other than C:

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47:31 pm »

Neato.  If you navigate into desktop can you find your way to the "computer" icon?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:20:31 am »

Not sure about that one.  I have Win 7 (32-bit) and LR 2.6 and 3 Beta and I have no problems accessing other drives.  Maybe Windows is locking these drives?  I don't believe it's a Lightroom issue but a Microsoft one.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 04:10:24 am »

Not seeing that behaviour here either, so I'd guess it's a local issue with how you've configured your W7 set up.
Are you running from an account with administrator privileges ? If not, that might explain why you can only access some areas of the system.
You may also have set some of the disks to only allow certain users to access them. I had a few instances of this when I first moved to W7.

Eyeball

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:29:20 am »

I agree with Rhossydd.  Since you are seeing only your user directory, it sounds like your are running in "Standard User" mode rather than in "Administrator" mode.  The other areas/drives were no doubt created and protected with another user ID.  You can either change your user account so you run as Administrator (Control Panel>User Accounts) or temporarily use an Administrator enabled account to change the sharing parameters of those other disks/areas (right-click directory and use "Share with").

walter.sk

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:50 am »

Thanks to all.  I will play with Windows accounts until this either works, or doesn't

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:18:54 pm »

If you can't see the CF card (I assume you are using a USB connected card reader) in "My Computer",  you might also check to see if your USB drivers are up to date.  Win 7 is pretty good about determining and finding updates for system devices, but it would be worth a look.
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »

Quote from: englishm
If you can't see the CF card (I assume you are using a USB connected card reader) in "My Computer",  you might also check to see if your USB drivers are up to date.  Win 7 is pretty good about determining and finding updates for system devices, but it would be worth a look.
There was no problem with LR finding the CF card.  I also don't quite know how I did it, but the problem with letting me navigate to other drives is fixed.

Now I have a problem with not being able to open a picture in PS CS4 from Lightroom, even though when I right-click on the thumbnail and choose Open With>Photoshop CS4 (default).

I'm glad all this stuff is so "user friendly."

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:26 pm »

I'm curious where that folder dialog came from.  In the final release of Win 7 it will always show non-empty local drives, and if connected - network drives. Are you running a Release Candidate?

If not open up My Computer, or My Docs - then tap the [alt] key to reveal the menu:
Select Tools | Folder Options | View Tab

Make sure Show Drive Letters is checked.  You can also uncheck Hide Empty Drives if desired
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:14:34 pm by Joh.Murray »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:02 am »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
I'm curious where that folder dialog came from.  In the final release of Win 7 it will always show non-empty local drives,
The final version of W7 hides empty drives

vjbelle

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:42 am »

Quote from: Rhossydd
The final version of W7 hides empty drives
No it doesn't.  I have empty (formatted) drives that are clearly seen in the tree.  The only drives that would be hidden in Windows Explorer are drives that are attached but not formatted.

keithrsmith

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:42 am »

It certainly hides DVD /CD drives that are empty.

keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up