Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recalibrating an Eye-One Pro Photospectrometer?  (Read 3464 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Recalibrating an Eye-One Pro Photospectrometer?
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:16:07 pm »

I was just looking at the "Certificate of Performance" sheet that came with my Gretag-Macbeth Eye-One Pro photospectrometer, purchased in 2006 right around the time G-M was bought by X-Rite, and was surprised to see that Gretag-Macbeth at the time recommended it be re-calibrated about 15 months after the original calibration.  The certificate is dated February 2006 and the recalibration due date was May 2007.

Well I haven't done that otherwise I would not be asking about this,  but neither have I noticed any obvious problems between then and now but I know that  any precision instrument can drift over time and use.

So: Has anyone had there i1 Pro re-calibrated and if so...
- How much did it cost?
- How long did it take?
- Did you see a difference afterward?

I assume Xrite now performs this service.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:54:21 pm by Ellis Vener »

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
Recalibrating an Eye-One Pro Photospectrometer?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »

Quote from: Ellis Vener
I was just looking at the "Certificate of Performance" sheet that came with my Gretag-Macbeth Eye-One Pro photospectrometer, purchased in 2006 right around the time G-M was bought by X-Rite, and was surprised to see that Gretag-Macbeth at the time recommended it be re-calibrated about 15 months after the original calibration.  The certificate is dated February 2006 and the recalibration due date was May 2007.

Well I haven't done that otherwise I would not be asking about this,  but neither have I noticed any obvious problems between then and now but I know that  any precision instrument can drift over time and use.

So: Has anyone had there i1 Pro re-calibrated and if so...
- How much did it cost?
- How long did it take?
- Did you see a difference afterward?

I assume Xrite now performs this service.

We have done this with a number of different devices. The cost for certifying an i1 $195, or $325 if any repair is needed (such as changing the bulb).  If they can do the certification in the US office the time is around 15-20 days if they have to send if overseas then it's 4-6 weeks. I  doubt you will "see" a difference, unless the drift is dramatic,  but devices certainly do drift. We had a situation recently where we certified a proof for a client, who sent the proof to another location where it failed by a small margin. With a bit of investigation it turned out that our device was not in agreement with other identical instruments and it went back to the factory to get re-certified.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow
Pages: [1]   Go Up