Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southwest France in April  (Read 6700 times)

Peter McLennan

Southwest France in April
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »

Two Western Canadians, venturing off North America for the first time in 15 years.  We'll arrive in Perpignan, rent a car and head out for two weeks in mid-April, returning to Perpignan.

Looking for location suggestions and routing.  Landscape, antiquities, culture.

Thanks!  : )

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »

I don't know much of this part of my country, but I'd point you to the Chateaux Cathares : medieval castles built by the cathars in often very scenic places.
In the same "medieval architecture" drawer, you may or may not like Carcassone - a bit too tourist-oriented for some tastes, but still worth too see.

A bit more to the west, the Dordogne part of this thread http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=36704 may also interest you.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:00:33 pm »

Quote from: NikoJorj
I don't know much of this part of my country, but I'd point you to the Chateaux Cathares : medieval castles built by the cathars in often very scenic places.
In the same "medieval architecture" drawer, you may or may not like Carcassone - a bit too tourist-oriented for some tastes, but still worth too see.

A bit more to the west, the Dordogne part of this thread http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=36704 may also interest you.

Thanks, Niko.   Your referenced thread was excellent.  Glad I'm not going in August. : )

lbenac

• http://www.LucBenacPhoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:04 pm »

Drive East to West boarding the Pyrenees either side (French or Spain) and you will have the trip of a lifetime.
There are so many small villages and towns to stop for the night and buy some local cheese and produce.
If you like hiking even better even if the higher routes will still be closed or difficult.
You can check my web site for a minuscule taste of what is there

Visit My Website

Of course it is my native land so I might be partial to it but not by much.

Enjoy without moderation.

Luc
Luc Benac
Amateur Photos from Canada, Fr

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:14:02 am »

Agree with Luc.
I was born in the south west of France, in a city called Pau. The Pyrenees are just the rigt places.
You can visit:
-Rennes le Chateau (you will understand why while there...maybe you find the treasure)
-Toulouse
-Driving coast to coast from Perpignan to the Basque country
-Tarascon sur Ariège
-Cauterêts
-St lary soulan
etc...

Nice trip!

Cheers,

Fred.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:30 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Agree with Luc.
I was born in the south west of France, in a city called Pau. The Pyrenees are just the rigt places.
You can visit:
-Rennes le Chateau (you will understand why while there...maybe you find the treasure)
-Toulouse
-Driving coast to coast from Perpignan to the Basque country
-Tarascon sur Ariège
-Cauterêts
-St lary soulan
etc...

Nice trip!

Cheers,

Fred.

So that's where the late Larry Sultan got the name!

Nice part of France, Fred - Jurançon was a favourite wine for my wife and I when we used to drive through France on our trips to Scotland... golden years.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »

Quote from: Rob C

So that's where the late Larry Sultan got the name!

Nice part of France, Fred - Jurançon was a favourite wine for my wife and I when we used to drive through France on our trips to Scotland... golden years.

Rob C
Rob,
I can't beleive someone knows the Jurançon wine!  
I used to live in a house in Jurançon coteaux during some years after living Paris. It is also my favorite white wine. Much much better than Montbasillac.
In that time I was not doing photography any more, too bad, the area is precious.
All this part of France have been stronly influenced by the British culture in the end of 19th.
I still have some painters friends living there.
I may go this spring for a trip. This time with the camera!
I will post some, promissed.

Souvenirs souvenirs....

Cheers.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »

Rob,
I can't beleive someone knows the Jurançon wine!  
I used to live in a house in Jurançon coteaux during some years after living Paris. It is also my favorite white wine. Much much better than Montbasillac.
In that time I was not doing photography any more, too bad, the area is precious.
All this part of France have been stronly influenced by the British culture in the end of 19th.
I still have some painters friends living there.
I may go this spring for a trip. This time with the camera!
I will post some, promissed.

Souvenirs souvenirs....

Cheers.

Fred, two things:

1. you underestimate the value and reputation of the wine;
2. did you imagine that because I live in Spain that I have to be a philistine?

Rob C

P.S. Just in case you take me seriously on this - I am having a giggle as I write the second point. The first point is very seriously meant - we loved that stuff; glorious. How could you leave?

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:55:19 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Fred, two things:

1. you underestimate the value and reputation of the wine;
2. did you imagine that because I live in Spain that I have to be a philistine?

Rob C

P.S. Just in case you take me seriously on this - I am having a giggle as I write the second point. The first point is very seriously meant - we loved that stuff; glorious. How could you leave?
It is always a pleasure to read you Rob.  
Well, yes, I underestimated the reputation of the wine. It is a small production and remembered that, outside a 200km radius when I was talking to people about Jurançon wine they were saying: "eh??"  

At that time, I used to stop for eating in a place called "restaurant le Rousset", on the road between Pau and Gan, in Jurançon, then drive to the Pyrenées and ski. Also, drive north west to the cost of the Landes, sometimes I was skiing the day in Gourette and spend the evening on the sea in Capbreton with total different temperature...aaaahhhh.

Can't wait to go back with a camera!

Cheers,

Fred.

NikoJorj

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:50:22 am »

It is also my favorite white wine. Much much better than Montbazillac.
Well, did you taste some Saussignac?
I think I talked about it in the other thread, but some vendanges tardives (Pierre Sadoux, Chateau Court-les-Muts) are remarkable indeed, up to par with some expensive Sauternes.

And as you talked about the Landes coast, I'll go a bit further north to the Dune du Pyla - a bit far away from Perpignan for sure, but quite special in Europe.
Of course, if you come from White Sands or whatever, it'll be yet another sand dune - but it's big (100m in front of the sea), and I really like the patterns of the banc d'Arguin, a sand bank away from the shore just in front of the Dune.
I'll be there at mid-April, it's so exotic coming from the Alps (and it's also a good place to fly).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:14:02 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
Well, did you taste some Saussignac?
I think I talked about it in the other thread, but some vendanges tardives (Pierre Sadoux, Chateau Court-les-Muts) are remarkable indeed, up to par with some expensive Sauternes.

And as you talked about the Landes coast, I'll go a bit further north to the Dune du Pyla - a bit far away from Perpignan for sure, but quite special in Europe.
Of course, if you come from White Sands or whatever, it'll be yet another sand dune - but it's big (100m in front of the sea), and I really like the patterns of the banc d'Arguin, a sand bank away from the shore just in front of the Dune.
I'll be there at mid-April, it's so exotic coming from the Alps (and it's also a good place to fly).
What is interesting about the Pyla dune is not what is on the sea side, but what is behind, exactly between the dune and the forest.    (if you explored this zone you understand my post...)

NikoJorj

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:14:09 am »

Back to Grenoble, I'd just like to add a very good accomodation tip even if it's probably too late for the OP...
http://www.lephenixfrance.com/
About 30km north of Toulouse, near Rabastens (Tarn-81), it's a completely renewed manor in a virgilian countryside, and the service (welcome may be a better world) as well as the cooking are nothing short of remarkable. Side note for the LuLa readers who still have some difficulties with the fine language of Molière and Rimbaud, Tim and Ally come from London.
Warmly recommended!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:18:04 am »

Thanks all for the posts.  Currently in Joch, France -  tiny hamlet about 50 km W of Perpignan - having traversed Languedoc, Dorgogne, Lot, Aquataine, Atlantic Coast and the north edge of the Pyrenees.

Favourite location so far has to be the Dorgogne Valley.  Add equal parts of Robin Hood, Cinderella and Lord of the Rings and you'll have a good idea of this  river valley studded with medieval castles and chateuax.  Absolutely lovely.  

Cloudless skies and exhausting travel schedule haven't made for extraordinary shooting conditions, but the giggage total is getting up there.  Must be at least one keeper somewhere in there.  Back home in Western Canada in a week.

dspeed

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:54 pm »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
Favourite location so far has to be the Dorgogne Valley.  Add equal parts of Robin Hood, Cinderella and Lord of the Rings and you'll have a good idea of this  river valley studded with medieval castles and chateuax.  Absolutely lovely.

We saw an HD travelogue that passed through the Dordogne Valley.  And shortly thereafter happened across a house in La Roque-Gageac on the internet; booked a week in July.

I'm thinking of an early hot air balloon ride....

Any other recommendations appreciated.

Dave

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:24:25 am »

Quote from: dspeed
I'm thinking of an early hot air balloon ride....
Any other recommendations appreciated.
Dave

The only better way to see landscape than from a balloon is from a helicopter.  With a balloon, you exchange agility for silence - a worthwhile exchange, IMHO. If I recall correctly, the tariff for a balloon trip is several hundred euros, but the three balloon rides I've taken have been extraordinary experiences, well worth the investment.

There are many boat charters available along the rivers, varying in size from 20 passenger tours to self-piloted canoes.  Both are fun and easy.  If you have a car, the area around the Dordogne and Lot valleys will reward exploration.  Any of the small towns in the Dordogne are fun and full of picture opportunities, especially on once-a-week market day - different in every town.

We have had no difficulties finding good accommodations, your experience in July (very high season) may be different.  Hotel operators report a substantial drop in visitors from North America this (2010) season.

dspeed

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 08:59:57 am »

Quote from: Peter McLennan
We have had no difficulties finding good accommodations, your experience in July (very high season) may be different.  Hotel operators report a substantial drop in visitors from North America this (2010) season.

Thanks, Peter!

We've booked a house, so accommodations isn't an issue.

As an early riser, I planned to do a morning shoot by myself to catch the light/lack of people, then return to the house.

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 10:04:50 am »

If you go to Sarlat, make sure you drop in at the shop of Francis Annet, Rue Valéry. I assume he's still around - he does books and prints, and my wife and I bought a book or two as well as a few of the prints which I still have on the bedroom wall; one is a misty close-up of some grapes in a sunset/sunrise light and the other a very atmospheric high view across rolling hills with lots of mist in the valleys. A Nikon/Velvia man with the perfect venue for selling his own work.

La Roque-Gageac can give you more rain than you expect and it sometimes floods to street level. The Dordogne may look friendly, but no big piece of water ever really is - treat with respect!

We used to stay a few nights at the Hostellerie de la Paix in Payrac (they have a web address, and were in the Logis de France system at the time). Modest, inexpensive rooms but excellent cuisine at fair prices. That's not far from Rocamadour, and I remember missing some great ballon shots there: I had run out of film at the psychological moment as several of the globes rose from the valley floor far below and drifted upwards, outlined so horribly well against the sky beside the turrets of the castle I had been shooting.

Another nice location for a hotel is right on the banks of the river itself, the Du Chateau at Lalinde. A couple of rooms are overlooking the water; though we never stayed there, always meant to, despite the midges. But if you have been to Scotland or Canada, what the hell!

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:07:03 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up