Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accurate canvas print sizes with Epson 9900  (Read 3280 times)

mikev1

Accurate canvas print sizes with Epson 9900
« on: February 27, 2010, 05:21:15 pm »

Hello, I know there was a recent thread that was somewhat similar however I only get inaccurate print sizes with canvas (Epson Matte, Satin).  The prints are always short on the running length, the width is always right on.  
I read in an older thread that sending cut sheets might work but I would rather not cut the canvas ahead of time if at all possible as it is a pain.  Before I start expirementing with feed adjustment etc I just thought I'd see if anyone has any solutions.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:35 am »

With regards to your situation. If you ask for 19" X 23" on a 24" wide canvas. What are you getting?
On my 7900 and 9900 I always print with an extra inch on the ends for trimming. Coming off the roll (length) is never a problem as the extra inch at each end is trimmed afterwards. If you gallery wrap you need an inch or more of unprinted white canvas. If you mount to a board such as Gatorboard you still have to trim the white edge off.  I cut my stretcher frame or backer board to size after I've made the print.
 A little more info and I might be able to help.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:13:32 am by Dan Berg »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:56 am »

It's actually a considerable problem with Epson printers, on canvas.  Like Dan pointed out, you can add to the running length of your print, or you can change the feed adjustment.  Epson recommends setting it to +50 for their canvas.  If you look on the info sheet that came with your Epson canvas, you will see where they make the recommendation.

If you are gallery wrapping with a mirrored edge, it's a really big problem as it's hard to get an exact 20 x 30 or 24 x 36 etc.  So each stretcher frame you make is a custom.  But for many of my prints, I prefer the mirrored edge as you don't
lose any of the image to the wrap.

What I have done over the years is keep a table depending on the canvas brand, yes each will react a tad differently to the running length issue.  
With breathing color Chromata White I will add 1/8" to a 20 x 30 (where 20 is the running length) and 5/16" to a 24 x 36 (where 24 is the running length).  

There is no way to get an exact print, at least with 7800, 7880 or 9880.  I had really hoped that the 9900 would resolve this some way.

BTW cut sheets will not fix this problem, but will help if you printer skews the print on the canvas (which mine does), but that's another entire problem.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:49:21 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ghaynes754

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:53 am »

On the 9900 if you dive in and look Custom paper settings you will find that the Canvas setting already is set for +.70%.  As I was trying to figure this out I asked Epson if they had a chart for each of the embedded paper types with all of the settings and it was a 'duh' moment.  They don't have a list, at least here in the US.  Maybe in Japan?  

You can see each of the paper type settings by:

Menu
Paper Setup
Custom
Paper Type 1 (or pick any paper type since you will start from default settings if you build a custom one)
Paper Type - Canvas (since I print primarily on Canvas and that is the default I pick from the regular paper type it has a check mark next to it)
Platten Gap - Standard
Paper Feed Adj - + .70%
Dry Time - 0 Sec
Paper Suction - Standard
Roll Tension - Normal

I haven't tried doing an additional Paper Feed adjust.  Not sure that you can add much more onto the already loaded +70.  I've found that with Imageprint 8 that I am maybe a 1/4 inch less on the long side (similar to what you are getting) and I stretch that side first which gets most, if not all, of it back.  I am using the Gallery Stretch machine like Dan and run 20-25#.  Tried it higher and it pulls the print up from the work table.  Understand they are working on a new model with hold downs to help with that.

mikev1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:30:33 pm »

Yes, prints with mirrored edges are a problem.  I prefer having the image wrap around the sides but I have to do what the client asks.

The instructions for the 7900/9900 that come with the profile for the matte canvas which is available on the Epson US website recommends the following settings

Media Type: Watercolor Paper
Color Density: +35%
Drying Time: 0
Paper Feed: 0
Paper Thickness: 2
Paper Suction: Standard
Platen Gap: Auto
Roll Paper Tension: Auto

The info sheet that comes with the roll makes no mention of the 7900/9900
Pages: [1]   Go Up