Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 8100 vs 8300 vs 8000s for poster printing  (Read 4574 times)

gkroeger

Canon 8100 vs 8300 vs 8000s for poster printing
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:14:40 pm »

We are considering a Canon 44" printer for the office. The primary use will be printing posters for scientific presentations and conferences. Content will include maps, photomicroscopy and traditional photos since the discipline is geoscience.

We have experience with an Epson 7800 (for photographic work) and a Canon 610 for cad/map work.

The 8000s seems to be optimized for speed and production work. The 8100 has a wider gamut and the 8300 an even wider gamut.  I am leaning toward the 8100 since even the 610 seems to handle our color needs.

Any feedback on reliability, nozzle clogging or software issues that might steer our decision would be useful.  Usage level is pretty low by most standards, a few posters per month at most, with some hectic days right before major meetings.

Glenn

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:23:18 am »

The 8000s sounds more appropriate for the maps and microscopy work and the speed is exceptional. As for the photography you're more likely to see the printer's dot pattern versus the other printers due to the lack of lighter inks (that's the trade off for speed). The 8300 is probably overkill unless you're extremely picky. If there are significant deals on the 8100 (with the 8300 coming out) it could be a good fit. I know an architecture firm that bought an 8100 to replace two HPs and an Epson. The felt that even the 8100 (versus the 8000s) was so fast that it alone could replace their 3 other printers and consolidate their consumable expenses and needs for both quality and speed. They were surprised that built in hard drive lets them spool tons of jobs to it and allows for reprinting without having to resend jobs from a workstation. As most iPF owners report it's been trouble free without a single clog for two years now.

I'd look at printed samples from each of these printers and make your decision from those.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:43:07 am »

Quote from: gkroeger
We are considering a Canon 44" printer for the office. The primary use will be printing posters for scientific presentations and conferences. Content will include maps, photomicroscopy and traditional photos since the discipline is geoscience.

We have experience with an Epson 7800 (for photographic work) and a Canon 610 for cad/map work.

The 8000s seems to be optimized for speed and production work. The 8100 has a wider gamut and the 8300 an even wider gamut.  I am leaning toward the 8100 since even the 610 seems to handle our color needs.

Any feedback on reliability, nozzle clogging or software issues that might steer our decision would be useful.  Usage level is pretty low by most standards, a few posters per month at most, with some hectic days right before major meetings.

Glenn

Hi Glenn-

We have both an 8000s and a 9100, and I'd say that the 8000s would certainly do the trick. It has a very good color gamut, and since you are printing for presentation purposes, and not fine art reproduction, I don't think that the trade off of 12 to 8 colors will make any difference to you. It also saves money by not having to inventory an extra 4 inks.

We have had the machines for a year now, and under moderate use, they have been trouble free. Software is good on the Windows side, and Canon tech support has been great.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

Nanba sempai

Re: Canon 8100 vs 8300 vs 8000s for poster printing
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:50:10 am »

I have HP LaserJet 1010 of ordinary a4 size. But when I want to print a poster or any big image I use poster maker software for printing it multipage.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Canon 8100 vs 8300 vs 8000s for poster printing
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

The 8000s seems to be optimized for speed and production work. The 8100 has a wider gamut and the 8300 an even wider gamut.  I am leaning toward the 8100 since even the 610 seems to handle our color needs.

Glenn

If the 610 is good enough for color needs and there are no reasons to archive posters for a very long time then one of the iPF810 to 825 models should be good enough. Cheaper in purchase, maintenance and supplies. Speed not lower than the 8000 model if I recall the numbers between the two printer ranges correctly.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New; 250+ Spectral plots soon extended with the Canon US catalog:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up