Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commercial Photography Business Forum  (Read 4799 times)

DHB

Commercial Photography Business Forum
« on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:17 pm »

I hope this isn't a misuse of this forum, but this has been the best collection of commercial/ advertising photographer I have yet found on the web, so figured it might be the best place to ask.

I'm looking for an active business discussion forum catering to legitimate commercial/ advertising photographers.

I would also like to find a forum discussing high-end stock. SAA has one, but it's a couple hundred bucks to join, and I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth from it just yet.

Not to sound snobbish, but the forums I have found so far tend to deal with either raw newbies, or low-end consumer, event, portrait, wedding, part-time, or microstock shooters, which don't apply to my type of business.

The ASMP forum from some years ago was probably the closest thing to this, until it collapsed for various reasons.

(My current need for such a thing is to ask a couple questions about high-end RM stock agency contracts, and other RM stock info, in case anyone has experience in that area.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

michael

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »

Over the next couple of months this site is going to undergo a significant overhaul, and included will be new forums for a variety of specialized interests. Keep you eye out for announcements.

Michael

michele

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:27:34 pm »

very interesting!

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:46:41 am »

maybe a board MF vs DSLRs lol

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:24 am »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
maybe a board MF vs DSLRs lol
I suggested a "35mm V MF" forum, with no attempt at making people laugh out loud, to try to keep serious, informative discussions clear of this endless topic.

There is a current topic MF Vs 10 * 8 (and this is worth discussing, as there are photographers considering upgrading from 5 * 4 and 10 * 8 to MF) and  another "35mm Vs MF"...so perhaps we could contemplate a wider forum for "format comparisons" or equipment selection?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

AnthonyAdachi

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

Quote from: DHB
I'm looking for an active business discussion forum catering to legitimate commercial/ advertising photographers.
Not to sound snobbish, but the forums I have found so far tend to deal with either raw newbies, or low-end consumer, event, portrait, wedding, part-time, or microstock shooters, which don't apply to my type of business.
(My current need for such a thing is to ask a couple questions about high-end RM stock agency contracts, and other RM stock info, in case anyone has experience in that area.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

While, I'm not sure if it's really best to frame such issues in the semantics of being or trying to avoid sounding "snobbish" nor of other implications which might allude to a sense of status. Rather, perhaps it may be better to consider speaking of it along the lines of the general lack of awareness, the absorption in, or distracted by matters which are in essence trivial to professionalism and image creator's rights?

Although, there certainly is an apparent abundance of forums dominated with an "amateurish" mindset with regards to the encouragement and conduct of professional practice. In contrast to, seemingly a dearth of those with concerned with protecting a creator's intellectual property rights, fair business practices and actual long term financial well being. Never mind specifically focused on the business of commercial/ advertising photography. On the other hand, while there may be issues which may pertain to a specific locus of attention there are universally applicable principles which have an affect on all image creators, whether they're actually actively conscious of it or not.

If one is looking for a discussion group interested in furthering healthy and fair professional business practices (to both the individual and profession at large) the Advertising Photographers of America has an excellent forum APAnet which...
focuses on the business of advertising photography.
Membership
APAnet membership is FREE and open to photographers, assistants, and students, both APA members and non-members alike.

A couple of other places of discourse which may be of be of interest...

Pro Photo Forums has sub forums on different aspects of business, including one which may fit your current need Paper work, paper work, paper work!".

Photo District News' site also has a Photo Business forum, though it's not particularly active.
http://forums.pdnonline.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/747105641

- Anthony

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:47 pm »

I hope this isn't a misuse of this forum, but this has been the best collection of commercial/ advertising photographer I have yet found on the web, so figured it might be the best place to ask.

I would also like to find a forum discussing high-end stock. SAA has one, but it's a couple hundred bucks to join, and I'm not sure I'd get my money's worth from it just yet.

The ASMP forum from some years ago was probably the closest thing to this, until it collapsed for various reasons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

if you are shooting professionally, then you shouldn't have a problem with paying a couple of hundred to join a forum that may have useful information, especially on high end stock.
the bonus with a private/pay forum is that you only get more serious people on there, not "wanna be" photographers, with all that bullshit you have to siv through for the decent information.

paul

check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Dansk

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »

Looking forward to the new updates

mmurph

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 02:32:06 am »

Blog, not a forum, but .... John Harrington:

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:32:42 am by mmurph »

Dansk

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »

There was a bunch of cool links on here where did they go? If they go against site rules can whoever posted them please PM them to me. Thanks

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:05:38 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Pro Imaging

Is that a new group? It looks like it has less than 150 members?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

DHB

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:21 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. The APA forum looks to be the most active, the PDN one the least (actually, abysmal, which is surprising to me given their "brand").

I definitely look forward to such a forum eventually coming here.

Regards,

David

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:14:12 am »

David
Are none of the professional photographers' institutions any good?

Do not reply to this post here, as I think this warrants a thread of it's own.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

mmurph

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:35:22 am »

the PDN one the least (actually, abysmal. ...

PDN "had" a decent forum. Like others, they "crashed" it maybe 2-3 years ago with a bad redesign. Everyone left, I totally forgot about them.  

I guess brand equity is pretty thin in the online world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up