Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help re Florida locations near Orlando?  (Read 6013 times)

jnmoore

Help re Florida locations near Orlando?
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:03:30 am »

I'm going to Orlando end of March and have 5 days after business to do landscape photography. Bones too old to do heavy hiking or extensive water trips (short guided ones OK).

I'd rather settle in an area/park (accommodation recommendations?) and do day trips from one location rather than running around.
I'm not a bird guy and don't have the good long lens (or patience!) for that.
I like to go into an area and record as much as can from macro to wide. I use the photos for mandalas and collage as well as traditional landscapes. Spring flowers would be a bonus.

I don't know this area at all (live in Vancouver BC) so any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

5D Mark ll, 17-40, 24-105, 50-1.4, Sigma 150macro, 2X extender etc

johnagon.com

jnmoore

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:38:49 am »

I'm surprised.

Not much interest in Florida. California and South West (and other expensive exotic locations) seem to capture the attention.

I'm hoping for a least one informed response.

John

TomSmalling

• Smalling Studios
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:44:48 am »

Hi John,
You're right, not too much interest.  I've been living in Central Florida for a while and there a few nice spots, but it doesn't have the same presence as being out west.  The land is flat, so large landscapes can be tough.  Things I would consider.

1. Head towards the coast, either east or west.  Both coasts have beautiful sunrises & sunsets over the water, with an abundance of different parks.  Yes, some of them you need boat access, but there is a lot to do otherwise.

2. In central florida if you want to get out into nature there are some good parks.  There is Blue Springs in Deland, Wekiva in Longwood and the little big econ park in Ocoee.   You can rent canoes in these places and get out in the water if you like.  

3. You can head to other places like the Bok tower and gardens, as well as the Leu gardens in downtown orlando.

4. If you want wide vistas of Florida, then you might want to head further south to the Kissimmee plains and some of the farm lands in Osceola county.  

That's all I can think of for the moment.  Hope you have a good trip.

elf

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:50:50 pm »

Quote from: jnmoore
I'm going to Orlando end of March and have 5 days after business to do landscape photography. Bones too old to do heavy hiking or extensive water trips (short guided ones OK).

I'd rather settle in an area/park (accommodation recommendations?) and do day trips from one location rather than running around.
I like to go into an area and record as much as can from macro to wide. I use the photos for mandalas and collage as well as traditional landscapes. Spring flowers would be a bonus.

I don't know this area at all (live in Vancouver BC) so any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

johnagon.com

There are no mountains and all of trees are 10 feet high so when you're cruising on the highways, all you'll see are 10 foot high trees and toll booths    

There is a national forest north of Orlando that may contain some interesting shots, but you're more likely to find interesting scenic spots to the south.

p.s. The beaches are a pale shadow of what's available in the Pacific Northwest. Cape Kennedy Space Center is well worth spending a day touring and there is a large bird sanctuary close by.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »

Thanks,
John
johnagon.com

If you can travel up the coast a bit, St. Marks National Park has some terrific scenery. On the way up there are several beaches, including Horseshoe Beach were I have gotten a few good shots also. What Florida may not have in terms of interesting landscape (no mountains), it more than makes up for in greenery and wildlife.

I am a bit confused that you don't want to hike or go in the water, but yet you want great shots. They don't really come to you, you have to be willing to go to them. If you're willing to take a boatride, you might want to consider going to Everglades National Park in the morning, because there you could really get some nice "classic Florida" shots of this most famous terrain.

For your macro equipment, there are also butterflies galore (pretty much everywhere), and you can't drive a half-mile without seeing dozens of different species of Florida wildflower. So, if you don't want to hike too much, stash the wide lens and put on your macro, and you will have no end of subject matter. It just took me 3 hours to drive 15 miles yesterday, because I had to stop and capture every new species of flower I saw popping up. Since there are over 3,500 species of wildflower in the State of Florida (it's called Florid-a for a reason, LOL), you should have no end to interesting subject matter to choose from. Just make sure you drive slowly, because you'll miss dozens of species along the roadsides traveling at hwy normal speeds.

Good luck,

Jack

Greg Barnett

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:07:46 am »

While most of his work is done quite a bit South of Orlando, you might want to take a look at Clyde Butcher's site for some ideas/inspiration. I've been in several of these locations and they are quite spectacular.

http://www.clydebutcher.com/

jnmoore

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »

Quote from: Greg Barnett
While most of his work is done quite a bit South of Orlando, you might want to take a look at Clyde Butcher's site for some ideas/inspiration. I've been in several of these locations and they are quite spectacular.

jnmoore

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:28:13 pm »

Quote from: Greg Barnett

Wow! Great resource. Clyde has done some very fine work! Also, I've found, somewhat crudely with google, most of his locations so I have some new ideas now.

In Orlando now and heading out for 6 day photo tour on Friday. Booked Okefenokee Swamp cabins and photo boat our on Saturday and Sunday and will do Ocala and Paynes Prairie on the way. After that I'm still pondering.

Thanks,

John

tokengirl

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 05:57:35 am »

I have not been there, but from what I have seen Payne's Prairie is a really neat place.  Look forward to seeing some photos!

jnmoore

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:28 pm »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
If you can travel up the coast a bit, St. Marks National Park has some terrific scenery. On the way up there are several beaches, including Horseshoe Beach were I have gotten a few good shots also. What Florida may not have in terms of interesting landscape (no mountains), it more than makes up for in greenery and wildlife.

I am a bit confused that you don't want to hike or go in the water, but yet you want great shots. They don't really come to you, you have to be willing to go to them. If you're willing to take a boatride, you might want to consider going to Everglades National Park in the morning, because there you could really get some nice "classic Florida" shots of this most famous terrain.

For your macro equipment, there are also butterflies galore (pretty much everywhere), and you can't drive a half-mile without seeing dozens of different species of Florida wildflower. So, if you don't want to hike too much, stash the wide lens and put on your macro, and you will have no end of subject matter. It just took me 3 hours to drive 15 miles yesterday, because I had to stop and capture every new species of flower I saw popping up. Since there are over 3,500 species of wildflower in the State of Florida (it's called Florid-a for a reason, LOL), you should have no end to interesting subject matter to choose from. Just make sure you drive slowly, because you'll miss dozens of species along the roadsides traveling at hwy normal speeds.

Good luck,

Jack

Thanks Jack,

Sorry for the delayed reply -- on the road.

Fantastic shots on your site! I'll be looking for those wildflowers (with my 150 macro).

I can hike and go on the water but am cancer survivor with related issues plus in my sixties with the usual fading physical abilities. If you're not there now you will be some day! Just have to pace myself and be aware of my limitations. Some days, in my weak moments, I feel like trading in my heavy Canon 5D kit for a lighter 4/3s camera(but not likely!).

Cheers,

John

johnagon.com

TomSmalling

• Smalling Studios
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

I hope you're enjoying the trip.  Except for a little rain it's been a beautiful few days.  

Another photographer who does some good work is John Moran

JohnKoerner

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:19 pm »

Thanks Jack,
Sorry for the delayed reply -- on the road.
Fantastic shots on your site! I'll be looking for those wildflowers (with my 150 macro).
I can hike and go on the water but am cancer survivor with related issues plus in my sixties with the usual fading physical abilities. If you're not there now you will be some day! Just have to pace myself and be aware of my limitations. Some days, in my weak moments, I feel like trading in my heavy Canon 5D kit for a lighter 4/3s camera(but not likely!).
Cheers,
John
johnagon.com

Wow John, I sure am sorry I missed this post! My condolences for your health situation as well as my admiration for your resolve to continue doing what you love.

Thank you for your kind words about my site. I hope you were able to get some really nice flower shots as well as some nice landscape shots. As someone who grew up in California, and who has been up and down the coast all the way up to Washington, I do agree with my fellow posters that Florida's coasts are quite drab by comparison ... but there are still some nice seascape opportunities utilizing both lighting and clouds, as this photo shows:

Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up