Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The death of Ken  (Read 5372 times)

stamper

The death of Ken
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:42:56 am »

The Ken Rockwell site and I suppose other sites similar to him are according to Ken facing closure. This can't be good? What is the likely hood of this happening? I don't live in the USA so I don't know the politics involved.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
The death of Ken
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:01 am »

Quote from: stamper
The Ken Rockwell site and I suppose other sites similar to him are according to Ken facing closure. This can't be good? What is the likely hood of this happening? I don't live in the USA so I don't know the politics involved.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

This happened in North Carolina, too, and adversely affected me (although in a very minor way). It has to do with sales tax, which for those outside the US who may not be aware of the details, is a tax, typically in the 3-7% range, that you pay at the time of purchase for most retail goods. It is levied by the states, and the law has long held that mail order sales are not subject to sales tax unless the seller has a physical presence in the state. This, if I (in North Carolina) order a shirt from L.L. Bean (in Maine) there is no sales tax. But, if L.L. Bean had a retail outlet in the state, there would be sales tax even though I am ordering from their warehouse in Maine.

Now, many online retailers have initiated "associate" programs that work like this: you put a link to, say, Amazon's web site on your own web site. When someone clicks thru from your site to Amazon's site and makes a purchase, you get a small commission (very small!). The new law is claiming that by having a link to Amazon's site on your own site, that you are in effect a "physical presence" for Amazon in the state, and they must collect sales tax on all sales to your state (not just sales from the links). In response, the retailers often just end the associate programs in the state.

So, the put things straight, the law will not in any way "force" Ken's or anyone else's site to close. It will, however, remove the income they derived from associate programs. Personally, I think it's a stupid law that will do more harm than good, but with states desperate for sources of income it's likely to pass.

fredjeang

The death of Ken
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:16:59 am »

That is really a news!
I feel sorry for Ken, even if I did not share its eccentric exhibitionist and generalisation style,
I sometimes found interesting informations and consulted his site from time to time.

Now, he is good at selling image so I don't think it is going to affect him deeply,
He will find another way to make fame and money for sure.

Fred.

Jeremy Payne

The death of Ken
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:55 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
This, if I (in North Carolina) order a shirt from L.L. Bean (in Maine) there is no sales tax.

See ... that's the rub ...

The out-of-state RETAILER is not REQUIRED in that case to COLLECT and REMIT the tax to the state of NC ... but YOU are and have always been responsible for that sales tax - at least that's how it works in NY and many other states.  There is box on your state tax form where you declare your out-of-state purchases and pay your sales tax.

But nobody does and everyone thinks there "is no tax" ... there is, but there is just no mechanism to effectively collect it.

We need to bring the tax code(s) into the 21st century.

stamper

The death of Ken
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:50 am »

Ken is claiming that 90% of his income is going to vanish. That income helped feed him and his family? It would be hard for him to generate a living. Some may mourn his passing.....others not?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The death of Ken
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:39:02 am »

Ken is claiming that 90% of his income is going to vanish. That income helped feed him and his family? It would be hard for him to generate a living. Some may mourn his passing.....others not?

Actually the problem may be that he doesn't want to move out of California.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
The death of Ken
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 04:49:15 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
See ... that's the rub ...

The out-of-state RETAILER is not REQUIRED in that case to COLLECT and REMIT the tax to the state of NC ... but YOU are and have always been responsible for that sales tax - at least that's how it works in NY and many other states.  There is box on your state tax form where you declare your out-of-state purchases and pay your sales tax.

But nobody does and everyone thinks there "is no tax" ... there is, but there is just no mechanism to effectively collect it.

We need to bring the tax code(s) into the 21st century.

Your right - it's called use tax here, and I had forgotten about it.

DarkPenguin

The death of Ken
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »

Imagine how disappointed I was when I clicked on this thread.

It is use tax around these parts.  And if you are using mail ordered tools in your biz you had best pay it.

fredjeang

The death of Ken
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:35:09 am »

I found this on the Online Photographer: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-mike-uhoh.html

Fred.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
The death of Ken
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 08:50:19 pm »

The United States Of America is such an oxymoron.
I wonder how much money is wasted by having so many different laws, rules and regulations for the one country.

The United Kingdom is so very consistent in comparison.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Ray

The death of Ken
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

Quote from: jjj
I wonder how much money is wasted by having so many different laws, rules and regulations for the one country.

Yet prices of almost everything in the U.K. are significantly higher.  

stamper

The death of Ken
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:20:36 am »

Quote from: Ray
Yet prices of almost everything in the U.K. are significantly higher.  

Possibly but the quality is also higher?  

Rob C

The death of Ken
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 05:13:59 am »

Possibly but the quality is also higher?

Er... in which particular field? Since we make so little nowadays, the quality of almost everything depends on the QC in the manufacturing country.

Rob C

stamper

The death of Ken
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 05:53:58 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Er... in which particular field? Since we make so little nowadays, the quality of almost everything depends on the QC in the manufacturing country.

Rob C

The whisky?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The death of Ken
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:46:32 am »

It probably seems that way if you don't know anything about history or the United States Constitution, but the fact is that the "states" part existed before the "united" part. The United States government is a creature of the states, and the states can modify the federal government at any time by calling a Constitutional convention. Federal politicians keep trying to make it work the other way around, but if they push that agenda too far they may find themselves in deep, deep trouble.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

The death of Ken
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 10:23:22 am »

The whisky?

Is there any left? I thought Suntory had bought it all.

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Payne

The death of Ken
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:08:13 pm »

... and only 20% the size of the US.

... and if you think the UK is more "efficient" than the US, I doubt you've spent much time in both places.

Greg Campbell

The death of Ken
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »

Ken will have to get a real job, and may even have to sell off some of the pricey German glass he's so fond of.

Sympathy-O-Meter =  [1\... 5]

I like the guy well enough, and often enjoy his rants; despite the high noise level, he occasionally hits the nail on the head.  Heck, ANYONE who is so reviled by the Gear Dweebs and Pixel Peepers who have taken over amateur photography can't be all bad!

OTOH, his constant begging for $ and hits gets real old.  When he says "Send more money so I can continue to 'help' you!," he really means "I need a new Mercedes and want to add to my Leica collection!"   How DOES he find the strength to go on?!  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:39:07 pm by Greg Campbell »

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
The death of Ken
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »

but YOU are and have always been responsible for that sales tax - at least that's how it works in NY and many other states.  There is box on your state tax form where you declare your out-of-state purchases and pay your sales tax.

That's the same in CA, and I do pay the "use" tax. The reason ? As a business, everything that I buy is written off, and therefore on the record, so I figured in case of an audit it would be easy for them to nab me if I failed to pay the "use" tax.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

stamper

The death of Ken
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 03:35:45 am »

... and only 20% the size of the US.

... and if you think the UK is more "efficient" than the US, I doubt you've spent much time in both places.

I agree with you that everything is bigger in the US!  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up