Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Guru Needed  (Read 4085 times)

CBarrett

Photoshop Guru Needed
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:35 pm »

I could really use a script that scrubs my files and removes the extraneous channels I created for masking prior to sending out client copies.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
I could really use a script that scrubs my files and removes the extraneous channels I created for masking prior to sending out client copies.  Any ideas?

What file format are you sending out to them?

tho_mas

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »

Chris, maybe I get you completely wrong... but if reducing layers and removing alpha chanels is what you want to achive the "safe as" dialog is your tool... simply uncheck "alpha chanels" and "layers". The file then will be stored as a copy.
[attachment=20448:safe_as.jpg]

gwhitf

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:31:49 pm »

On large jobs, I fear sending out files where I've forgotten to flatten them. Is that what you mean? If so, I just write an Action, and first command is "New Layer", and then next command is "Flatten Image". But I doubt that actually removes the Alpha channels, now that I think about it. Are you doing it to hide the worked-on parts from the client, or to reduce file size?

tho_mas

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:23 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
"Flatten Image". But I doubt that actually removes the Alpha channels, now that I think about it.
correct - separate alpha chanels will not be removed.

CBarrett

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
correct - separate alpha chanels will not be removed.

Right, I have an action that I drop my finals on which spits out a new folder of images at 8 bit and flattened to deliver to client.  I maintain layered 16 bit tiffs in the archive.  I wonder if you can do that "uncheck save alpha layers" in a script?

Hmm...

tho_mas

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »

I wonder if you can do that "uncheck save alpha layers" in a script?
yes, you can. The only action you need to create is "safe as" and uncheck "layers" as well as "alpha chanels". If you select the source folder as target folder "copy" will be added to the file name. But I much prefer to specify different folders (or at least a subfolder within the source folder).
If you want to, you can of course also include "convert to sRGB" and switch mode to "8bit" in the action.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:30:07 pm by tho_mas »

CBarrett

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
yes, you can. The only action you need to create is "safe as" and uncheck "layers" as well as "alpha chanels". If you select the source folder as target folder "copy" will be added to the file name. But I much prefer to specify different folders (or at least a subfolder within the source folder).
If you want to, you can of course also include "convert to sRGB" and switch mode to "8bit" in the action.

Thanks, Thomas.  First I'll try adding the Save as to my current "Flatten/8bit" script.

Gracias!

tho_mas

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »

Thanks, Thomas.  First I'll try adding the Save as to my current "Flatten/8bit" script.

Gracias!
you're welcome!
Adding a new command to your existing script is, of course, also possible.

When you run the script for multiple files you are going to "file"->"automate"->"batch" ... correct?
In the batch dialogue under "target folder" there is a checkbox "overwrite 'safe as' in actions" (or similar).
You have to check this box (otherwise Photoshop will create 2 files: a copy of the original file, but flattened, and a new flattened file).

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »

You could use Bridge and a free script ('Export to JPG' http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/inde...p;extid=1698308 ) which allows to export JPG-s from anything that Bridge can see, which includes PSD, the format you seem to be using.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:52:27 pm by MichaelEzra »

bcooter

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »

Put them in lightroom and whether there are layers, channels, it doesn't matter, then process them out at the same resolution into a separate folder.

You won't visibly see any degradation, or change, in fact if your sending one complete shoot, it gives you the ability to "color grade" the images with slight tweaks so they all look close to the same "film".

This especially comes in handy when you've shot different cameras for the same project.

BC

CBarrett

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
This especially comes in handy when you've shot different cameras for the same project.

BC

Nice, of course when I try to set raws from the D3 and the P65+ to the same Color Temp in C1 Pro, the files tend to disagree wildly about the color of any given scene.

bcooter

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:09 pm »

Nice, of course when I try to set raws from the D3 and the P65+ to the same Color Temp in C1 Pro, the files tend to disagree wildly about the color of any given scene.

They never really match in anything, but the good thing about lightroom is when purposing out finished files, you can move the color around and get pretty close.

Since it batch processes it's easy and you can change your settings and make smaller jpegs for fpo, the web, whatever.

Lightroom ain't perfect, but it's a quick way to match images and send out a flattened file without worryng about channels, or mismatched color spaces.

It also takes almost any file format from raw to psd., tiff, jpeg etc. etc.

BC
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:42:51 pm by bcooter »

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »

Here is a script that I have been using...particularly if your workflow/actions are primarily Bridge & Photoshop:

http://tinyurl.com/yz77zgz

Add an "x" to the extention so that it is .jsx

This little script strips all the Alpha channels and is embedded in all actions that convert PSD files.

I will have to try out Mr. Cooters'  lightroom  tip as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:38:23 pm by Prakash Patel »

Edmund Sumner

• http://http://www.edmundsumner.co.uk/site/index.html
Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »

Hi

I would recommend Graeme Cookson (gmcookson@btinternet.com) who has been helping both me and Viewpictures in London develop some fantastic scripts to automate some of the more mundane aspects of post production work

I know he makes bespoke scripts for photographers as well as having an arsenal of scripts covering most imaginable scenarios

Maybe drop him e-mail

I can’t recommend him highly enough

Edmund
www.edmundsumner.co.uk

gmcookson@btinternet.com

CBarrett

Photoshop Guru Needed
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »

Quote from: Prakash Patel
Here is a script that I have been using...particularly if your workflow/actions are primarily Bridge & Photoshop:

http://tinyurl.com/yz77zgz

Add an "x" to the extention so that it is .jsx

This little script strips all the Alpha channels and is embedded in all actions that convert PSD files.

I will have to try out Mr. Cooters'  lightroom  tip as well.

The script seems to work, and I can add it onto my "16 bit to 8 bit / Flatten" Action, but when it's done it opens the App "ExtendScript Toolkit".  Is that normal?

Thanks,
CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up