Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D cameras  (Read 1833 times)

EgillBjarki

3D cameras
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:18 pm »

This is interesting! Seems Canon not only killed Red, but woke up Sony for real!

The steriograph is an old old thing, but I think the movie "Avatar" made some wheels spin in the industry.

I would love to have a two lensed sterio still and movie camera!

Any thoughts from people here?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022104sony3d.asp

Peter McLennan

3D cameras
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »

A timely topic for me.  I visited one of my favourite photography sites just yesterday - cameraless.  Instead, I took only a pair of high quality binoculars.  Looking at some of my favourite scenes through them, I was struck over and over by just how much we give up by photographing in 2D.  One of the oldest photographic tricks we use to previsualize imagery is to inspect the subject with one eye closed.

Soon home 3D displays will be common, the Internet will be 3D and so will much of the media.  It's just a matter of time.

I may live to regret my certainty.  : )

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
3D cameras
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07:10 pm »

About twenty years ago I caught the 3D bug and bought a Stereo Realist camera and a ViewMaster Personal Camera. Both cameras took stereo pairs from 35mm slide film. The Realist took full frame images which were viewable on a special viewer. The ViewMaster made much smaller images (similar to a cropped frame sensor) but the images mounted in ViewMaster reels which fit any ViewMaster Viewer on the market. I also had the ViewMaster Stereo projector that made great 3D slide shows projected on a lenticular screen and viewed with specially polarized glasses. These cameras were fully manual, requiring an exposure meter for the best images.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up