Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a new tripod  (Read 14956 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
I need a new tripod
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:57:01 pm »

Quote from: soberle
A small plastic piece inside one of my Manfrotto legs broke, allowing the lower end of the leg to fall out. This was during light and infrequent use.

You too, eh? My Gitzo did the same thing (same company as Manfrotto) and the replacement part has been backordered for more than a month. Sigh.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

vandevanterSH

I need a new tripod
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 08:03:04 pm »

Quote from: neile
You too, eh? My Gitzo did the same thing (same company as Manfrotto) and the replacement part has been backordered for more than a month. Sigh.

Neil

Me too...

Steve

tokengirl

I need a new tripod
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 11:07:12 pm »

After using a Manfrotto 190CXPro4 for almost two years, I finally had enough of cheap tripods.  I just picked up a Gitzo GT3531S yesterday and I used it today out in the swamp.  I am VERY pleased with my purchase.  Very sturdy and easy to use.  I should have done this a long time ago.

vandevanterSH

I need a new tripod
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 11:39:24 pm »

Quote from: tokengirl
After using a Manfrotto 190CXPro4 for almost two years, I finally had enough of cheap tripods.  I just picked up a Gitzo GT3531S yesterday and I used it today out in the swamp.  I am VERY pleased with my purchase.  Very sturdy and easy to use.  I should have done this a long time ago.

It took me five years of of being frustrated with mid-priced tripods before deciding that it wasn't crazy to get a good tripod system.  If I had gotten a Gitzo, ARCA, RRS, Kirk, etc then,  I would have save money.

Steve

DarkPenguin

I need a new tripod
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 12:28:35 am »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
It took me five years of of being frustrated with mid-priced tripods before deciding that it wasn't crazy to get a good tripod system.  If I had gotten a Gitzo, ARCA, RRS, Kirk, etc then,  I would have save money.

Steve

No one ever believes Thom Hogan's article on the subject before they've gone through one or two bouncy tripods...

desertmike

I need a new tripod
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 12:43:35 am »

Dark Penguin -that is so true. My tripod buying experience was exactly how Hogan described - just wish I'd read his article earlier on and saved myself a lot of hassle. Then again, my own "Gitzo in the Gulf" experience has been pretty grim from a Customer Service point of view ...

For what it's worth, as Thomas and some others have pointed out, Gitzo and Manfrotto (maybe more?) are now owned by a company called Vitek.

vandevanterSH

I need a new tripod
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:21 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
No one ever believes Thom Hogan's article on the subject before they've gone through one or two bouncy tripods...

Exactly...Five to six years ago, when I starting taking a interest in photography, I read all of the stuff about how important a tripod was and buy good , etc.,  you can afford it.  I guess it is a common story..pay now or pay more later.

Steve

vandevanterSH

I need a new tripod
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 11:29:13 am »

Quote from: desertmike
Dark Penguin -that is so true. My tripod buying experience was exactly how Hogan described - just wish I'd read his article earlier on and saved myself a lot of hassle. Then again, my own "Gitzo in the Gulf" experience has been pretty grim from a Customer Service point of view ...

For what it's worth, as Thomas and some others have pointed out, Gitzo and Manfrotto (maybe more?) are now owned by a company called Vitek.

RRS customer service is quit responsive but,  without a dealer "network",  I don't know how well it would work outside of the US.

Steve

MarkL

I need a new tripod
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 07:50:38 am »

What I like about gitzo is that they have models that don't have any centre column. Even if it's not used, they compromise stability and add weight.

DarkPenguin

I need a new tripod
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:10 am »

Quote from: MarkL
What I like about gitzo is that they have models that don't have any centre column. Even if it's not used, they compromise stability and add weight.

I have the center column and the fixed plate for my feisol.  Gives one some flexibility although it does require the use of a screwdriver to swap them.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
I need a new tripod
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »

I use a Gitzo without the center column with a head that falls largely into the bowl of the tripod, I had to take the plate of the legs to do so. A sturdier connection is hardly thinkable.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:15:04 pm by Dustbak »

epatsellis

I need a new tripod
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »

Quote from: desertmike

I had bought a studex compact performance and a Telestudex performance many years ago, with a "lifetime" warranty. Somewhere along the way, Gitzo changed importers and the warranties were no longer valid. Of course I didn't know this until I had a failure with my Telestudex and wanted to get it repaired. While I'm 100% in the "buy it once and buy right" camp, Gitzo will never get another penny of my business ever again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up