Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a new tripod  (Read 14958 times)

dwood

I need a new tripod
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »

I've been thinking about picking up a Gitzo GT3531 but have also been reading about the new Induro 8x series...specifically the CT313. I'm familiar with MR's review of the older generation Induro's but was wondering if anyone is using any of these new versions. Any thoughts on these things vs the tried and true Gitzo's? I shoot a Sony a900 with the largest lens currently being a 70-300G.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
I need a new tripod
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:33:26 am »

I use the GT3540 (which is the 4 part predecessor of the GT3531). I totally love it and think it  is worth every cent. You spend the money once and you will enjoy the tripod long after you have forgotten how much it has cost you  

Before this one I used the 1348 and was not particularly happy with that one mainly because of the way the lock on the leg worked. In the new series this has been fixed.

I cannot tell you about the induro but I did try various other brands and none of them came close to the Gitzo. I understand the Induro does, I did not want to take a chance just to save a couple of hunderd on legs.

dwood

I need a new tripod
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:56:19 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
I use the GT3540 (which is the 4 part predecessor of the GT3531). I totally love it and think it  is worth every cent. You spend the money once and you will enjoy the tripod long after you have forgotten how much it has cost you  

Before this one I used the 1348 and was not particularly happy with that one mainly because of the way the lock on the leg worked. In the new series this has been fixed.

I cannot tell you about the induro but I did try various other brands and none of them came close to the Gitzo. I understand the Induro does, I did not want to take a chance just to save a couple of hunderd on legs.
Thanks for the feedback Dustbak. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the Gitzo as you are. I'm just trying to determine if the Induro would provide similar performance at a bit of a cost savings.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:56:46 am by dwood »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
I need a new tripod
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:22 am »

Quote from: dwood
I've been thinking about picking up a Gitzo GT3531 but have also been reading about the new Induro 8x series...specifically the CT313. I'm familiar with MR's review of the older generation Induro's but was wondering if anyone is using any of these new versions. Any thoughts on these things vs the tried and true Gitzo's? I shoot a Sony a900 with the largest lens currently being a 70-300G.

I recommend looking at the Hakuba carbon fiber tripods. I paired one with an AcraTech ballhead and the combo has performed flawlessly with a Nikon D700 and up to 300mm lens. Gitzos are fine but you pay a premium because of the name and to fund all of their ads.

Available from B&H.

dwood

I need a new tripod
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:48:27 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
I recommend looking at the Hakuba carbon fiber tripods. I paired one with an AcraTech ballhead and the combo has performed flawlessly with a Nikon D700 and up to 300mm lens. Gitzos are fine but you pay a premium because of the name and to fund all of their ads.

Available from B&H.
Thanks for the tip Peter. I wasn't even aware of the Hakuba, but I'll definitely check this out.

DarkPenguin

I need a new tripod
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:32:52 am »

Thanks for the tip Peter. I wasn't even aware of the Hakuba, but I'll definitely check this out.

If you're looking at other carbon fiber tripods you might consider Feisol and Benro.

stever

I need a new tripod
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »

i'm very satisfied with my Feisol 3441 for light weight, rigidity and convenience.  

i have an old aluminum Gitzo and i don't think that their margin of superiority is that great over the best of the competition today

rogan

I need a new tripod
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »

I currently have 2 induros and can't imagine spending more. I use my mf back on them and can't imagine what more the gitzos would do for $300-400 more each. I have both the new and old versions and the new are a big step forward

dwood

I need a new tripod
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:59:03 pm »

Quote from: rogan
I currently have 2 induros and can't imagine spending more. I use my mf back on them and can't imagine what more the gitzos would do for $300-400 more each. I have both the new and old versions and the new are a big step forward
Thanks for this rogan. It's good to know of someone who's using the Induro and is happy about the product.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
I need a new tripod
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »

I have an Induro C413 I use for portrait work, but I prefer not using a center column for landscape work and Induro didn't (and maybe still doesn't?) have that option.  I use the Arca swiss cube and attached to the Gitzo 3541 XL it just seems more stable.  I use the RRS BH-55 on the Induro, and it's a nice combination for portrait work where I do use the center column to adjust camera angle.

That being said, the center column locks very securely on the Induro and even though that might raise the center of gravity and technically be less stable, it isn't bad either.  I've used the cube on it and it's performed well, but I've never actually done any testing to verify the gitzo actually is more stable.  It's more a matter of best practices .. with the p65 back you just have to do everything you possibly can to ensure good captures, because it quickly reveals any and all flaws in your technique.  everyone says don't use a center column and many of them are much better and more knowledgeable than I am.

dwood

I need a new tripod
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I have an Induro C413 I use for portrait work, but I prefer not using a center column for landscape work and Induro didn't (and maybe still doesn't?) have that option.  I use the Arca swiss cube and attached to the Gitzo 3541 XL it just seems more stable.  I use the RRS BH-55 on the Induro, and it's a nice combination for portrait work where I do use the center column to adjust camera angle.

That being said, the center column locks very securely on the Induro and even though that might raise the center of gravity and technically be less stable, it isn't bad either.  I've used the cube on it and it's performed well, but I've never actually done any testing to verify the gitzo actually is more stable.  It's more a matter of best practices .. with the p65 back you just have to do everything you possibly can to ensure good captures, because it quickly reveals any and all flaws in your technique.  everyone says don't use a center column and many of them are much better and more knowledgeable than I am.
Thanks for the info. Wayne. I use the RSS BH-55 as well. Sounds like the Induro could be a decent choice.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
I need a new tripod
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

Hi,

I second that. To my best knowledge Hakuba is also sold under the Velbon name. I have a Velbon Sherpa Pro 630  in addition to my new Gitzo GT3541LS. I have been very satisfied with the Velbon. I also liked the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, except that I want a level type QR.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

tho_mas

I need a new tripod
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:36 pm »

Another Induro user here (the new series, CT414).
Very nice handling!
I like the bold rubber grip leg locks.
I am using it with medium format and a tech camera... no trouble at all by now.
The fat center column doesn't introduce shake as long as it is not extended.
I do need the center column anyhow for the additional height so a tripod without center column is not practical for me personally.
The over sized center column lock is a bit tight but maybe that get's better if you unlock/lock it often.
The buble level is ludicrous.
I much prefer my wood tripods as they reduce even heavy shake within a second (or two).
But if I have to carry the tripod a long way I take the Induro (of course, that's why I bought it).

desertmike

I need a new tripod
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:15 am »

Just an afterthought, based on my recent experience with Gitzo in the Middle East - choose the tripod that has the best after sales customer service!

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
I need a new tripod
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 01:20:30 am »

A dog knocked my Gitzo over and the metal piece where the legs mount broke in pieces. Gitzo would not replace it.

So I went with Manfrotto carbon fiber and love it. No more pinched fingers, and the locks are much faster to boot.

I recently upgraded to the 055CXV3 and they have made many small improvements. It's a joy to use.

Bob
 ht

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
I need a new tripod
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »

A small plastic piece inside one of my Manfrotto legs broke, allowing the lower end of the leg to fall out.  This was during light and infrequent use.  Manfrotto did fix it...for $85!  I now use a Gitzo, but were I to shop for a tripod now I would take a serious look at the new legs from Really Right Stuff.  Like all RRS products, they appear to be of top quality with a price to match...and a 6 week waiting list!  Back to the posters original question...My choice when I replaced the Manfrotto was Gitzo or Induro.  They both seemed very good.  My dealer (whom I trust) recommended the Gitzo as being higher quality.  In reality, I probably settled on the Gitzo because of the name!

DarkPenguin

I need a new tripod
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »

I conaned a foot off of my feisol once.  They sent me a replacement set from the other side of the planet for free.  (I had to provide my own glue.)  Had em in like 2 days.  I'm a fan.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
I need a new tripod
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 12:54:32 pm »

Gitzo is manufactured by Manfrotto.

vandevanterSH

I need a new tripod
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »

Like all RRS products, they appear to be of top quality with a price to match...and a 6 week waiting list!
The initial look at the RRS TVC-33 will give a person "sticker shock".   The TVC-33, however,  has the stability and load factor of a Gitzo 55xx and the weight of a 3541xx.  A Gitzo 55xx with a safety plate is $65USD more than the RRS.

Steve

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
I need a new tripod
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 05:49:39 pm »

As an avid bicyclist, it appears to me that RRS has taken something bicycle manufacturers have recently discovered and used it in their tripods.  That is, a larger diameter but thinner walled carbon fiber tube is stronger and has better vibration dampening than a smaller diameter and thicker walled tube.  And the larger diameter tube weighs less also.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up