Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting in Manhattan w/a Tripod  (Read 4265 times)

JoeKitchen

Shooting in Manhattan w/a Tripod
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:37 pm »

To use a tripod on the sidewalks in Manhattan what kind of documents do you need, and what is involved in and how would you go about getting them?  

No models or lights, I would just be shooting the architecture.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
To use a tripod on the sidewalks in Manhattan what kind of documents do you need, and what is involved in and how would you go about getting them?  

No models or lights, I would just be shooting the architecture.
If you aren't in the transit system and you aren't trying to take exclusive control of the street I don't think you need a permit.

archivue

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »

in Paris you need one... it's an old law, but some policemen still apply it !

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »

Quote from: archivue
in Paris you need one... it's an old law, but some policemen still apply it !

It's been a year or two since I've been to Paris, but is Manhattan the island on Seine river near Notre Dame?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:34:56 pm by feppe »

archivue

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

Quote from: feppe
It's been a year or two since I've been to Paris, but is Manhattan the island on Seine river near Notre Dame?

global village as they say ;-)

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »

I am not sure what you need or where you get it.  Next time I might start at the NY Police headquarters.  I believe you do need a permit because I was stopped from taking a photograph near Times Square by a policeman.  He said I could take pictures, but not use a tripod.  And I certainly was not in anyones way that night.  I was right beside a building - out of the flow of people walking by.  But, it made no difference.

You can easily get a permit for using one in the Art Museum up by Central Park.  There is a desk near the coat check on the lower level that you need to stop at.  Only took five minutes.

Good luck.

Let me know what you find out because I will certainly be going back.

Another time I was using a tripod outside a camera store doing a demo in the city and no one said anything to me about it.  So it might depend on where you are downtown.  I have to guess that many places off the beaten track you might get away with it.  My guess is taking pictures of some buildings is more sensitive then other ones.

pixpop

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:25:28 pm »

David McCaughan

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:51 pm »

We had to shoot a model on the street and at the Brooklyn Bridge Park.

From the NYC Mayor's office of Film

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/news/070...pts_rules.shtml

"A permit is not required for filming that uses hand-held cameras or tripods and does not assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk, or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit."

Note: The Parks have a separate permit application process. A good portion of the West Side highway is part of the Parks Department.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/fi...guidelines.html

The Mayor's office was fantastic, we got the optional permit just to have something in hand if there was any questions. They were very specific about tripod vs. light stand.

Dave

TMARK

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:50:56 pm »

all good info. I go by what the cops know, which is if you put sticks on the ground you need a permit. One or two people with a view camera on a tripod probably won't be an issue, but beware. Also watch for building security. They don't know the law and will try to stop you from shooting the building, no matterhow legal you are.

Quote from: David McCaughan
We had to shoot a model on the street and at the Brooklyn Bridge Park.

From the NYC Mayor's office of Film

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/news/070...pts_rules.shtml

"A permit is not required for filming that uses hand-held cameras or tripods and does not assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk, or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit."

Note: The Parks have a separate permit application process. A good portion of the West Side highway is part of the Parks Department.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/fi...guidelines.html

The Mayor's office was fantastic, we got the optional permit just to have something in hand if there was any questions. They were very specific about tripod vs. light stand.

Dave

ced

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:04 am »

You might have no issue if using a monopod as it is less obtrusive...
Pages: [1]   Go Up