Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ICC profiles in PS?  (Read 7904 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

I found the culprit. ACR opens the raw image by default with the ACR 4.4 camera profile. If I choose "Camera Vivid" (Nikon) in the camera menu, the image does not look muddy at all... This profile is carried over if then the image is opened in PS. At least now. I cannot reproduce my earlier experience that the profile changed in this transition.

As for tifs, all on a sudden I can no longer figure out how to open them in ACR, even though I have chosen to prefer Camera Raw for tifs in the prefs of both ACR and Bridge (or was it PS?).

I am obviously too stupid to use this intricate software. I haven't gotten the download link for the trial version of Aperture, but I'm going to buy it on the blind. It can't be much worse than this.

Thank you for your help! - Hening.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

- accidental duplicate cleared - HB.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:42:42 pm by Hening Bettermann »

Tim Lookingbill

ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »

Well you got me all confused.

First you're concerned about tifs not previewing correctly in ACR and now you're opening NEF's in ACR and blaming the default profile for giving the undesirable preview. Raw previews will always look different when viewed in different Raw converters. Tifs are something very different.

Regardless what you've discovered, the preview of your NEFs after converted to tifs in RD should look the same when viewing those tifs in ACR where  there is no default ACR 4.4 or "Camera Vivid" available.

Goof luck sorting this out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:56:02 pm by tlooknbill »

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:01 am »

Hi again.

(I wrote this before I had read your post #23, to which I will reply separately.)

In a rare attack of brightness, I have figured out how to open tifs in ACR. In addition to the prefs in ACR and Bridge, one has to set PS prefs > File Handling to "Prefer ACR For Jpegs", even though tifs are not mentioned.

Round-up: ACR, but not PS neglects embedded ICC profiles in tifs and substitutes a DNG profile, either the one on top of the list=ACR 4.4, or the last one that was chosen for a preceding image, I'm not sure.

For my intended workflow, with linear tifs output by RawDeveloper, this means that I can use ACR for CA correction only, not for tonal edits. That's for PS. My desire for Aperture has cooled a bit after I learned that its internal editing space probably is Adobe 1998 rather than ProPhoto. PS lum seems to work anyway.

Good light! - Hening.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

I thought I had posted a reply to your post #23, but it's gone. Here is a reconstruction:

> Well you got me all confused.

Sorry for this

< First you're concerned about tifs not previewing correctly in ACR and now you're opening NEF's in ACR and blaming the default profile for giving the undesirable preview.[...]

I tried to track how ACR handles profiles. For this purpose, I wanted to open a raw and a tif in parallel. I had to use a NEF, because ACR4.6/PSCS3 does not open CR2s. But I could not open the tif in ACR.

> Regardless what you've discovered, the preview of your NEFs after converted to tifs in RD should look the same when viewing those tifs in ACR where there is no default ACR 4.4 or "Camera Vivid" available.

My conclusion at the time of writing post #24 was that ACR neglected embedded tifs and substituted a DNG profile.

> Goof luck sorting this out.

Upon your post, I'll check it again. Maybe it was in fact a goof...  

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
ICC profiles in PS?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 03:24:33 pm »

> Maybe it was in fact a goof...

It was - partly. When the tif that comes out of RD is first opened in PS, it has the correct profile. One has then to SAVE the tif out of PS, then Close and go to Bridge. Then in Bridge, only the tif from PS is selectable for opening in ACR, and is then displayed with the correct (embedded) profile. So it can be done, but the flowwork is turned upside down and cumbersome.

Thank you for your concern! - Hening.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up