Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: capture sharpening for MFDB  (Read 1528 times)

kuau

capture sharpening for MFDB
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »

I am planning on entering the the MFDB world soon I hope and was wondering since there is no AA filter on a MFDB is capture sharpening still required in post, and if so what are some of the basics I should be aware of?

Coming from FF DSLR, capture sharpening is a critical process to get the best results I have found, unfortunately if I talk to 10 people on this subject I get 10 completely  different answers.

Thanks
Steven Kornreich

ced

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:01:26 am »

Kuau the sharpening of images is a matter of choice most of the time and depends on the output.
The file for portraits is sometimes too sharp even without usm.
Files for printing in mags and newspapers by the very nature of the process needs sharpening and you will need experienced guidance here if you are delivering the final image.
Which mpx sensor you use will also define the amount of sharpening required.
I guess you will get many differing opinions on this matter from the experienced users on this forum.
Good luck and don't be overwhelmed.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:41:05 am »

Quote from: kuau
I am planning on entering the the MFDB world soon I hope and was wondering since there is no AA filter on a MFDB is capture sharpening still required in post, and if so what are some of the basics I should be aware of?

Hi Steven,

At wider apertures and with good lenses, the image from a sensor array without AA-filter is sharp. Capture sharpening it will potentially bring out aliasing effects such as the manifestation of jaggies. This does assume a Raw converter that extracts lots of detail, not all are equally good at that.

When you close the aperture enough to create more DOF, you'll introduce diffraction blur. To remove that you can use proper sharpening techniques. The level of impact from diffraction at the pixel level depends on the combination of sensel pitch and aperture.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:28:06 am »

Quote from: kuau

Coming from FF DSLR, capture sharpening is a critical process to get the best results I have found, unfortunately if I talk to 10 people on this subject I get 10 completely  different answers.

Thanks
Steven Kornreich

Depends a lot on what you shoot, I suggest. I shoot mostly beauty/fashion/glamour. I do still use capture sharpening as part of my process, applied just after a first pass of major blemis removal. however, unlike when shooting a 1DsIII or a D3x, I apply capture sharpening to MFDB files very selectively, giving my lightly sharpened layer a layer mask an only picking out parts of the image that are critical to the image, and often reducing the opacity of that layer. There are times and situations where I skip the step, if I've absolutely nailed the focus, but given the nature of what I'm shooting (people breathe/wobble/move), I alm often off critical focus on the eyes by a few mm (or more), so capture focus can be of benefit.

I find that selective capture sharpening can add to the three dimentional nature of the image. In fashion, garment details like zippers or bows or piping - whatever - often take capture sharpening well. The Iris of the eye too, of course. Sometimes teeth.  In 35mm capture, I'd often sharpen the eyebrows, lips and nostrils as well, but I find that not always necessary in MFDB. The hair closest to the camera will get a low-opacity brush pass as well.

All of this is done just to get sharpness up to minimum levels. I never take capture sharpening very far, b/c as pointed out above, the purpose of the image at this point is usually either unknown or, more likely if you're bothering to work an image up - it's destined to be used in multiple ways (web/print for display at least, magazine possibly).

Obviously, this is just my approach, and may or may not be the right approach for you. I'll add that I'm new to MFDB files, but am coming out of years of doing this with 35mm files.

B
Pages: [1]   Go Up