Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from a 6 megapixel image  (Read 3414 times)

capital

• Website
Printing from a 6 megapixel image
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:43:48 pm »

Hi,

I'd like to output to Epson 4880 using Exhibition Fiber, print size will be about 20 in x 13.3 in, at the moment that works out to a native 150 PPI.

After listening to "From camera to print", it sounds like the printer should be fed a file that will be between about 180 to 400 PPI.

What happens if you are only just shy of the lower bound, say at 150 PPI?

I would like to know if I should upsample to 180 or perhaps even higher (if warranted) or if 150 PPI is "close enough".

Thank you.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »

Attempts to print at that resolution will probably generate either a black hole or a Strangeling Particle that will quickly consume the entire Universe.  However, the print might look OK.  Ignoring the Common Wisdom, I would tend to upres such an image to either 240 or 360 in Photoshop, and possibly even try to sharpen it a little bit using Smart Sharpen with the Highlight and Shadow sliders set up to about 14 or above, or to the smallest numbers where Shadows just barely stops looking different, and where Highlights doesn't generate halos at contrasty transitions.  Sharp and relatively low-noise 6mp files can make surprisingly big prints.  Also helps to have an interesting subject, which can take a lot more blow-up than a boring subject.

This is the kind of thing where an actual Test is worth a thousand expert opinions.  Crop out a 3 x 13" section of the image and, one at a time, apply and print every type of the upsizing technique you have ever heard of to that sample.  Emphasis on the "print" part.  Just keep chomping away at the same piece of say 13x19 sheet, each time slicing off the printed part.  Make lots of notes.  Tape the prints up on the wall and view at various distances, including "normal" distance.  Expect the best method to be not what you expected.  Works for me.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:49:17 am »

Quote from: capital
Hi,

I'd like to output to Epson 4880 using Exhibition Fiber, print size will be about 20 in x 13.3 in, at the moment that works out to a native 150 PPI.

After listening to "From camera to print", it sounds like the printer should be fed a file that will be between about 180 to 400 PPI.

I would like to know if I should upsample to 180 or perhaps even higher (if warranted) or if 150 PPI is "close enough".

Thank you.
I thought that any fraction of 1440 was OK, so you could try 144, of print at 180 with a margin.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:01:44 pm »

Quote from: capital
Hi,

Is there any particular reason you don't try both ways and see for yourself?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

Don't forget when uprezzing, adding a little grain after sharpening can help disguise any artifacts.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:19 am »

Experiment on smaller crops at actual resolution - I was shocked to discover that my R1800 driver did "nearest neighbor" uprezzing, showing noticeably square pixels when fed with 120-150dpi input.

The simpler : in Lightroom, tick the checkbox "resolution : 240dpi" and add output sharpening to taste.
Otherwise, a 2x blowup in PS with some sharpening after that...
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:48 am »

I have a 4880 too.  This was interesting.
ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)
Pages: [1]   Go Up