Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada is most favorite nation.  (Read 8192 times)

paulbk

Canada is most favorite nation.
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Gallup Poll: "Canada retained its top position in Gallup's annual country ratings, with 90% of Americans viewing it favorably, unchanged from 2009."

For me, Luminous Landscape is reason enough for placing Canada first. But I think the real reason is Diana Krall and Michael Bublé. Frankly, I can't blame them. Very photogenic, both.  Must be something in the water out there in  British Columbia.

More here:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/126116/Canada-P...px?CSTS=alert#1
paul b.k.
New England, USA

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:00:43 pm »

For those of us who have never heard of Canada I found this reference ...

Perky 'Canada' Has Own Government, Laws

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:58:03 pm »

-A Canadian
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

John Camp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:38:30 am »

I looked up "Canada" in my Atlas, and it said,

"For the United States, see pages 9 - 22."

(Onion's "Our Dumb World.")

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:56 am »

Proud to be...  [attachment=20386:Canada_128.png]

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:54:41 am »

Isn't it strange that people take such personal pride in nationality when, truth be told, they had absolutely no say in being born in whichever darn country they happened to see first light?

Rob C

paulbk

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:13:35 am »

I agree that real pride is earned through one's own efforts. But I think once you reach a certain age people can take pride in having the good sense to stay and contribute or not (emigrate). Especially true when both options are freely available.

Quote from: Rob C
Isn't it strange that people take such personal pride in nationality when, truth be told, they had absolutely no say in being born in whichever darn country they happened to see first light?

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 08:25:06 am by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

Quote from: paulbk
I agree that real pride is earned through one's own efforts. But I think once you reach a certain age people can take pride in having the good sense to stay and contribute or not (emigrate). Especially true when both options are freely available.

The trouble is, national pride has become something less than appealing in its manifestations. Consider travelling football fans, for example, swathed in national flags, semi-drunk and looking for 'foreigners' to kill, albeit on foreign soil. Extreme, I grant you, but not that far removed from the other side of the spectrum where the better educated or better born - not always the same thing - turn their noses up at the people across whom they come on trips abroad, either because they can't speak English - why should they - or because they follow different customs that can appear quaint if because they are different.

The only tme I think there is much need for national pride is when it comes down to invasion of one's homeland. Then, yes, patriotism is the way to go because it has a genuine purpose.

As for staying or migrating - you weigh up the alternatives and, if you can, make the choice. That's not based on national pride but personal advantage, a far more sensible way of considering the options. As for making contributions - the only ones I can imagine my own lot wanting from me are tax-based. But then, the host countries are also waiting for me (us) to die and 'contribute' a little more.

Love allowing my mind to wander outside the safety of the photo-box! Or do I?

Cheers

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 03:53:43 pm »

The trouble is, national pride has become something less than appealing in its manifestations. Consider travelling football fans, for example, swathed in national flags, semi-drunk and looking for 'foreigners' to kill, albeit on foreign soil...
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" (Samuel Johnson, 1775)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:53:33 pm »

I have no trouble with loyalty to one's country (I'm pretty proud of mine) but I'd like to see us put world citizenship first.
Bill

paulbk

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:37:04 pm »

Rob C. -- "The trouble is, national pride has become something less than appealing in its manifestations...."

I agree with every word. As with any human attribute, pride and patriotism can be corrupted and taken to extreme to justify anything. Too often pride is confused with grandiosity and arrogance. Both driven by fear, not pride.

I think pride in community can move people to pick up road side litter, paint their house, and responsibly attend to civic duties. Not bad things.

paul b.k.
New England, USA

stewarthemley

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:36 am »

Nationalism and religion. The most destructive forces we know. How many crimes, and of what almost incomprehensible scale, have been caused and then justified by them?

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 05:33:17 am »

I just know we are probably (?) going to get witched off, but without taking it into further, dangerous territory, I'd just like to say that I agree with much that's been said, and that it would all be a good thing if it were possible to handle it (pride in national identity) sanely. But, I guess human nature is a different animal and logic not even skin deep. It strikes me that much of it is used as a sort of substitute for personal failures: we cheer, stamp and scream for national heroes because there is a sort of vicarious satisfaction in the actions of others which remain forever beyond our own powers of achievement; a sort of substitute glory, if you will. Ultimately very sad.

However, all this said, that's no reason not to feel a sense of loyalty to one's roots. It's just the manner in which it is shown that can be problematic at times. Or the way in which the emotion can be distorted to false ends. I live in a country not my own; I feel a great sense of ease with most of the people I come into contact with, have been shown kindness and understanding in most circumstances and have met, generally, with unfailing politeness. However, I know that all this aside, one will never be mistaken for, nor accepted as a citizen. I don't mind this; I even feel that there is a certain cheek in those foreign people wanting to cast political votes at the elections to which they have access. Looking at myself, I know perfectly well that the intricacies of local and national politics are ever beyond my ability to understand: how, then, to cast a sensible vote? Yet there are many foreign people resident here who don't even speak Spanish but insist on using their rights to the ballot... can that be helpful?

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 05:44:23 am »

I just know we are probably (?) going to get witched off, but without taking it into further, dangerous territory, I'd just like to say that I agree with much that's been said, and that it would all be a good thing if it were possible to handle it (pride in national identity) sanely. But, I guess human nature is a different animal and logic not even skin deep. It strikes me that much of it is used as a sort of substitute for personal failures: we cheer, stamp and scream for national heroes because there is a sort of vicarious satisfaction in the actions of others which remain forever beyond our own powers of achievement; a sort of substitute glory, if you will. Ultimately very sad.

However, all this said, that's no reason not to feel a sense of loyalty to one's roots. It's just the manner in which it is shown that can be problematic at times. Or the way in which the emotion can be distorted to false ends. I live in a country not my own; I feel a great sense of ease with most of the people I come into contact with, have been shown kindness and understanding in most circumstances and have met, generally, with unfailing politeness. However, I know that all this aside, one will never be mistaken for, nor accepted as a citizen. I don't mind this; I even feel that there is a certain cheek in those foreign people wanting to cast political votes at the elections to which they have access. Looking at myself, I know perfectly well that the intricacies of local and national politics are ever beyond my ability to understand: how, then, to cast a sensible vote? Yet there are many foreign people resident here who don't even speak Spanish but insist on using their rights to the ballot... can that be helpful?

Rob C
I agree 100% with Rob wisdom.
I will just ad that living your country if you can is a wonderful experience (when not because of poverty reasons). I'm not talking about travelling but living daily. It gives you a much more healphy distance about the concepts of identity and membership.
Fred.

Chris_T

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:29 am »

Quote from: paulbk
Gallup Poll: "Canada retained its top position in Gallup's annual country ratings, with 90% of Americans viewing it favorably, unchanged from 2009."

For me, Luminous Landscape is reason enough for placing Canada first. But I think the real reason is Diana Krall and Michael Bublé. Frankly, I can't blame them. Very photogenic, both.  Must be something in the water out there in  British Columbia.

More here:
http://www.gallup.com/poll/126116/Canada-P...px?CSTS=alert#1

I can't find the full list of polling questions at the site. Such polls are only meaningful and interesting if we know what the responders' opinions are based upon. (If LL could be the reason for Canada to top the list, perhaps there was a question like, "Which country has the best photographers?" And there was a large number of LL members among the responders. )

If the pollster can question and publish the responders' knowledge of the countries they rank, that will provide some context as well. Such as a country's capital, its continent, its size, its population, etc. But most US responders would probably be so embarrassed that they won't complete the survey.

Without neither, the ranking serves no purpose.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 08:36:50 am »

Quote from: Chris_T
I can't find the full list of polling questions at the site. Such polls are only meaningful and interesting if we know what the responders' opinions are based upon. (If LL could be the reason for Canada to top the list, perhaps there was a question like, "Which country has the best photographers?" And there was a large number of LL members among the responders.  )

If the pollster can question and publish the responders' knowledge of the countries they rank, that will provide some context as well. Such as a country's capital, its continent, its size, its population, etc. But most US responders would probably be so embarrassed that they won't complete the survey.

Without neither, the ranking serves no purpose.
If Michael moved (house, gallery, web operation -- the whole kit and kaboodle) to Buffalo (to avoid having to use the Toronto airport), and if they then redid the poll, I'm sure we would find that the U.S. had moved up in the standings.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »

This topic has stirred up some interesting controversy; something I must admit I didn't foresee.  Since my response may have been at least partially the cause, I thought I'd elaborate a bit on what it means to me to be Canadian (etc.)

Canadians as a whole have an international reputation for being open, warm, welcoming, etc. and those are principles that I do my best to embody as well.  Does that mean every Canadian embodies those qualities?  Probably not.  Does it mean that those qualities are uniquely Canadian?  No, certainly not.  But they're good ideas, and because my personal values match, more or less, with the perhaps idealized ideas of what it means to be Canadian, I take pride in that.  Now, that's only one level of experience.  I'm also proud to be human, because, for all of our faults, we've got a lot of good qualities.  That makes me a global citizen as well.  I'm friendly and helpful with my neighbours as well and they me, so I'm proud of being a part of this community as well.  They're not mutually exclusive, at least not to me.  Maybe it's 'pride' that's the issue here.  Being prideful is often equated with 'arrogance' and that's a bad thing.  Here's my wife's view on that:

Value: is acknowledging and honouring your self with and for your self – your gifts and talents and skills and personal traits and abilities.
Arrogance: is, believe it or not, not acknowledging your own value! It is looking to others to validate what you hope might be a valuable quality that you see within yourself by showing off that skill for their approval.

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I've got to say about that."

Mike.

P.S. Tom Brokaw Explains Canada to the Americans (prior to the XXI Olympics)
If your mind is attuned t

fredjeang

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 06:26:50 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Value: is acknowledging and honouring your self with and for your self – your gifts and talents and skills and personal traits and abilities.
Arrogance: is, believe it or not, not acknowledging your own value! It is looking to others to validate what you hope might be a valuable quality that you see within yourself by showing off that skill for their approval.
Yes, I agree 100%. There is often a lot of misunderstood about this, so as about what freedom is.
Arrogance always come from doubt and insecurity. Generally a poor self-estime or lack of acknoledging ones value.
Canada is certainly not the worst nation to live in...although I was in Vancouver Island (Nanaimo) and I think it might have more or less the same rate of rain than Cherrapunji...London weather is a joke compared

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:42 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
This topic has stirred up some interesting controversy; something I must admit I didn't foresee.  Since my response may have been at least partially the cause, I thought I'd elaborate a bit on what it means to me to be Canadian (etc.)

Canadians as a whole have an international reputation for being open, warm, welcoming, etc. and those are principles that I do my best to embody as well.  Does that mean every Canadian embodies those qualities?  Probably not.  Does it mean that those qualities are uniquely Canadian?  No, certainly not.  But they're good ideas, and because my personal values match, more or less, with the perhaps idealized ideas of what it means to be Canadian, I take pride in that.  Now, that's only one level of experience.  I'm also proud to be human, because, for all of our faults, we've got a lot of good qualities.  That makes me a global citizen as well.  I'm friendly and helpful with my neighbours as well and they me, so I'm proud of being a part of this community as well.  They're not mutually exclusive, at least not to me.  Maybe it's 'pride' that's the issue here.  Being prideful is often equated with 'arrogance' and that's a bad thing.  Here's my wife's view on that:

As Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I've got to say about that."

Mike.

P.S. Tom Brokaw Explains Canada to the Americans (prior to the XXI Olympics)
Beautifully put, Mike (and Tom Brokaw).

That may explain why I've always felt that Canada is the one country I would feel very comfortable emigrating to. Maybe it's the "grass is always greener" syndrome, but I've always had the sense that a much higher percentage of Canadians have their heads screwed on right than do Americans.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 12:07:48 pm »

Quote from: Eric Myrvaagnes
Beautifully put, Mike (and Tom Brokaw).

That may explain why I've always felt that Canada is the one country I would feel very comfortable emigrating to. Maybe it's the "grass is always greener" syndrome, but I've always had the sense that a much higher percentage of Canadians have their heads screwed on right than do Americans.

Eric

So what's not to like about a left-hand thread?

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up