Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645 lenses + Zoerk PSA on Canon EOS  (Read 6127 times)

Rainer

• http://schoditsch.photoshelter.com
Pentax 645 lenses + Zoerk PSA on Canon EOS
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:06:08 pm »

Hi,

I´m looking for your advice which Pentax 645 lenses are best to be used with a Zoerk PSA Shift adapter on a Canon EOS.
This has been discussed before in the "Arch Photographer" threads, but i´m not sure about getting the old MF lenses or the AF lenses.

I already have the new TS-E II 24mm and use it with the new 1.4 Extender II to get a 34mm (as suggested by Rainer Viertlböck) and it works great.
So no need for the reportedly excellent Pentax FA 35.

I´m looking for 2 or 3 Pentax lenses in the 45mm to 90mm range. Which exactly are the gems?

Thanks,
Rainer

fredjeang

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:24:27 pm »

Quote from: Rainer
Hi,

I´m looking for your advice which Pentax 645 lenses are best to be used with a Zoerk PSA Shift adapter on a Canon EOS.
This has been discussed before in the "Arch Photographer" threads, but i´m not sure about getting the old MF lenses or the AF lenses.

I already have the new TS-E II 24mm and use it with the new 1.4 Extender II to get a 34mm (as suggested by Rainer Viertlböck) and it works great.
So no need for the reportedly excellent Pentax FA 35.

I´m looking for 2 or 3 Pentax lenses in the 45mm to 90mm range. Which exactly are the gems?

Thanks,
Rainer
Hi Rainer,
You might take a look here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
it is generally reliable.
Fred.

archivue

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:28 pm »

the 90 TSE is a good lens also...

otherwise the pentax AF lines seems to be much better than the manual line !

but then, if you don't need the 35... maybe an Hassy 50 FLE (floating element) and a 100 cf with the zoerk is the way to go !

MHFA

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »

Hi Rainer,

I am using the cheaper non Autofocus Lenses and all are working good. I am using 35,45,55,75 and a 120 Macro and all of them have a real good performance with a 5DII. Most of them are from Ebay for less than 100€.
The 35 was at about 300€, but I think it performs better than the 24+1.4, there is less distorsion...

Michael

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:32 am »

Quote from: MHFA
Hi Rainer,

I am using the cheaper non Autofocus Lenses and all are working good. I am using 35,45,55,75 and a 120 Macro and all of them have a real good performance with a 5DII. Most of them are from Ebay for less than 100€.
The 35 was at about 300€, but I think it performs better than the 24+1.4, there is less distorsion...

Michael
there might be sample variation, but i compared them directly ( 35af against 24tse + 1,4 ext ). the canon combo is clearly better in terms of CA and sharpness , esp. if shifted.
the 1,4 extender adds distortion to the otherwise distortion-free 24tse, but this is a completely easy and also symmetric form of distortion( cause the image circle of the extender does not move if the lens shifts )  which can be to 100% corrected with the photoshop correction plugin.

reg. the other lenses, i use the pentax 55af and the 75 af. both are excellent. the 45af is good too, but less than the two others,- although still better than the 45tse from canon which has too much CA for my taste.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:53:15 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Rainer

• http://schoditsch.photoshelter.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:51:36 am »

Thanks for your infos.

Indeed the TS-E 24 is easy to correct in PS combined with the 1.4 Extender.
I wonder about the 55mm AF. I can´t find it anywhere, even not at the Pentax website ... Only 35, 45, 75, ...
Rainer, is the 55 really a AF (FA) lens?

What do you all think about buying at keh.com? They seem to be quite cheap there.
Thanks

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:36:06 pm »

you are right. its a manual version. but as i said a very good one ...
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

jinglyjangly

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 05:08:58 pm »

I use the 35mm FA however with 5d2 you cannot use all the shift as vignetting is severe, thiink its mechanical and not optical as the zoerk psa
works ok with other full frame canon's (apart from original 5d which requires the mirror to be shaved)
I have just started using a manual Pentax 120 macro lens which I have had for some time with the zoerk on a 7d and the results are
very sharp. I also have the 80-160 zoom manual focus which is ok but not brilliant. I have not tried any other apart from the 45fa
which is good but not stunning like the fa35mm
Incidently I was showing a photographer friend how the zoerk psa works the other week and took sample images
from canon 17-40L, 24-105L and the Pentax 35mm Fa was noticibly sharper at 100% (Canon lens were set at 35mm)
I took some pics with the 24-105L at 105mm with the 7d and against the Pentax 120 Macro manual the Pentax is a lot sharper at 100%
During the tests I was using various apertures and for the results above I selected the sharpest.
Unless I need some really wide stuff I dont even use the Canon wide L Lens anymore, I use the 35mm FA with the zoerk even
if I dont want to shift. the 35mm Pentax FA is the best lens by far in my bag and I have lots of lens.
Offcourse its a prime lens and the Canon's are Zoom but they are L quality.

Dennishh

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »

I've been using the Zork with Pentax Glass for several years, many of which I purchased at KEH. I like the fact I can test and send it back if I don't like it. Hurry on these lenses, once the 645D comes out there will be fewer around at more money. I use 35 fa, 45 6x7 with adapter, 55 2.8 A, 75 2.8, 105 2.4 6x7, 120 smc macro all very good lenses. Pentax should be coming out with a new wide but haven't announced it yet. I use the set up on the 1ds3 and 5d2.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:29:13 pm by Dennishh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up