Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying used Hasselblad HC lenses from Ebay - any caveats?  (Read 6959 times)

PaulSchneider

Buying used Hasselblad HC lenses from Ebay - any caveats?
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:10:22 pm »

Hi guys!

Since I'm really pondering buying a new MFDB from Hasselblad I also have to factor in the pricing structure of the lenses.

Albeit being cheaper in the back/body department, Hasselblad lenses to me seem a lot more expensive than Mamiya lenses.

So, confronted with financial constraints, would be to buy some HC lenses from Ebay. There are some serious saving to be made considering my local prices here in Switzerland.

I would be very glad if anyone could comment on the durability of HC lenses and whether one should be careful when buying used glass.

For example, since Hasselblad lenses employ leaf shutters, one can read out the shutter count.

From experience, is there a "average lifetime actuation count" that Hasselblad lenses reach before being prone to replacement of the shutter mechanism?

What would be a dangerously high actuation count? 50 000, 200 000 or 500 000?

Before I buy something off Ebay I want to check with the respective sellers how many actuations the lens of interest has and then decide whether I should buy it or not.

Thank you very much for some insights into this matter!

Regards Paul

PS: Is it expensive to repair a HC lens when the shutter fails?

gwhitf

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:01 pm »

I bought a mint 100 HC lens off of ebay last year. Did not determine actutation when I purchased it, but it looked right out of the box. The autofocus gear assembly went out about two months ago. Cost about $350 to fix it.

I think you just roll the dice; sometimes you win, sometimes you have to fix them. To me, still far better than paying full retail. Buying used is the only way not to get killed in Medium Format, unless you drive them til the wheels come off.

Just one opinion.

ghaynes754

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

I've bought several off of eBay.  Ask the seller for the shutter count.  If they can't give it to you then they don't know the camera system and I don't buy.  Most of the ones I have bought have been below 1000 clicks.  Hasselblad considers that to be 'new'.  Highest was 2300.  Since the shutters are rated at something like 200,000 clicks I would have to agree they have a long ways to go.  Like anything electronic they do fail, but I don't know of anyway to avoid it other than buying the CustomerCare program.

Prices, compared to new, are generally 30-50% less.  Good luck.

PaulSchneider

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:51:07 pm »

Wow, great, 200 000 is the life-time then ...

Thank you very much for this insight. I too think it might be worth it considering the savings. Even if you factor in a repair of circa 350...

Regards

Paul

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »

I've heard that the older 50-110 zoom lenses have problems with the elements seperating. I've also heard that the original 150 isn't very good. Other then that, I'd check out the click count, and make sure that there is a return policy if the lens doesn't test out well.

PaulSchneider

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
I've heard that the older 50-110 zoom lenses have problems with the elements seperating. I've also heard that the original 150 isn't very good. Other then that, I'd check out the click count, and make sure that there is a return policy if the lens doesn't test out well.

Hi Bob!

How old would be "old" with regard to the 50-110 zoom?

Regards

Paul

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:25 pm »

Quote from: PaulSchneider
Hi Bob!

How old would be "old" with regard to the 50-110 zoom?

Regards

Paul

I think that particular lens has been out since the H1 camera was introduced. I read anecdotes on some of the forums about the elements coming apart. Try searching for earlier posts on this forum.

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »

Keh.com has good stock and prices on HC lenses as well. I also got a very good deal on a 35mm from Calumet used, it only had about 1200 acuations on it and was in perfect shape.
You "are" taking a bit of a chance because repairs can be expensive if it is the shutter. Also if you register your camera with Hasselblad, it does not even have to be new to do this, once in a while I have seen them run special discounts on  a one time lens purchase. I think the one to buy new would be the zoom.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »

Quote from: BobDavid
I think that particular lens has been out since the H1 camera was introduced. I read anecdotes on some of the forums about the elements coming apart. Try searching for earlier posts on this forum.

IIRC, Michael was using that lens in the Namibia (?) video journal and the lens came apart in his hands during filming.

Steve

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:22:19 am »

I bought 50-110 mint condition in Ebay 2~3years ago. mint condition , just 10000 clicks. overall cindition is very good.
but sometimes error code occured. especially portrait shot. I've asked hasselblad A/S. but no problem found.
I think shutter asembly replacing needed. but still-life shot has no problem...

so I rent 50-110 for portrait shot. and mine use normal, in studio /still life shot
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

David WM

• http://
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:54:45 am »

I have bought all of my lenses (6) off ebay and have had none have missed a beat. Most have had low shutter count when I got them. The highest shutter count is a HC100  which had 27,000 on it when I got it, and I have added around 4000 I guess.  

David

ixpressraf

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 09:56:50 am »

Why not buy from people here on this site. I have had only very good experiances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up