Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorMunki questions...  (Read 6297 times)

Shirley Bracken

• http://ssbracken.com
ColorMunki questions...
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:35:09 am »

I have just gotten my ColorMunki.  Installed it, ran it and for some reason I have lost 90% of the color when I pull a photo in from Bridge or IPhoto or anywhere.  @#$%^&*()(*&^%$@@#$&*(    I am using CS4

Also, do I have to print a new test chart on every paper I profile?

My target Luminance I set at 120 but I can only get a measurement of 96, is that a problem?  Is it OK for ColorMunki to set it automatically?

One more question...
I can not get the paper to load straight in the manual feed in my (Epson 4880).  Is there a trick?

I am working hard to get this all to come together.   Please help. Thanks for your time!
ssbracken.com  (Formerly Bumperjack)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:26 pm »

Shirley,

I'm sure we would like to help, but you need to give a little more information. Some questions:

1) Are you on Windows or Mac OS?

2) When you say you loose 90% of the color do you mean on paper or screen

3) You could possibly post your color profile (so we can see if there is anything odd)

Regarding traget luminance, are you using a CRT monitor (big, vacum tube kind) or an LCD? In any case I'd suggest that 96 is OK.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Shirley Bracken
I have just gotten my ColorMunki.  Installed it, ran it and for some reason I have lost 90% of the color when I pull a photo in from Bridge or IPhoto or anywhere.  @#$%^&*()(*&^%$@@#$&*(    I am using CS4

Also, do I have to print a new test chart on every paper I profile?

My target Luminance I set at 120 but I can only get a measurement of 96, is that a problem?  Is it OK for ColorMunki to set it automatically?

One more question...
I can not get the paper to load straight in the manual feed in my (Epson 4880).  Is there a trick?

I am working hard to get this all to come together.   Please help. Thanks for your time!
Erik Kaffehr

Shirley Bracken

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

Hi Erik.  Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Mac OS X Laptop

I mean when I double click on a photo to work on in PS, it pops up with most of the color faded out on the computer screen.   It is saturated black and white with a little faded red. I am not even trying to print it yet.  I keep running into these odd problems that I can't seem to figure out by myself.  I have been in all the preferences etc to see if I set something up on a permanent basis that effects it but I can't find it.  Maybe I should delete and reload ColorMunki.  I know I have just set something wrong.  The profile is not in the mix yet.

Should I reload ColorMunki?  The color is fine in Iphoto and my files and Bridge.  Thanks

ghaynes754

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:44:24 pm »

Few quick thoughts.

1.  In PS on the View Tab pick Proof Setup - Custom.  Select the profile that was created for your new paper.
2.  From the Apple Menu - Preferences pick the display icon.  Click on Color and make sure the profile that you created for your monitor is selected.
3.  As to brightness I use 120 for my laptop (MacPro) and when you adjust the brightness to bring the Colormunki into the green zone on the brightness scale I find that my brightness setting is about 3 dots down from max on the Mac.  If 120 doesn't work then the standard is usally 80.
4.  Yes to profiling each paper type.

All of the stars need to align, kind of like a 3 legged stool.  If any one leg is messed up things fall over.

Gary

Shirley Bracken

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »

YAAAAWHOOOO!!!  Got it!  (A short DAH moment here...)  Thanks guys!  Yeah, I've been falling down a lot lately.

PS>EDIT>COLOR SETTINGS...  >>

Now my next problem is... which do I use and is it a norm or an as needed?  

CUSTOM
OTHER
MONITOR COLOR
NORTH AMERICAN GENERAL PURPOSE 2
NORTH AMERICAN PREPRESS 2
NORTH AMERICAN WEB/INTERNET
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:03:57 pm by Shirley Bracken »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »

Hi,

I'm not really good at that stuff, but you could try NORTH AMERICAN GENERAL PURPOSE 2.

These are my settings:

[attachment=20372:SB1.jpg]

Now, one thing that really can mess up things if you happen to activate "soft proof": like this:

[attachment=20373:SB2.jpg]

In this case you previsualize the way a print on a given media (in this case Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss on StylusPro3800) would look like. That previsualisation is really good, but horrible first time you see it.

Make sure View->Proof Colors is not activated.

The screen profile is set in the Display settings, like this:

[attachment=20374:SB3.jpg]

The SX2461W is the name of my monitor.

Hope this helps....

Best regards
Erik

YAAAAWHOOOO!!!  Got it!  (A short DAH moment here...)  Thanks guys!  Yeah, I've been falling down a lot lately.

PS>EDIT>COLOR SETTINGS...  >>

Now my next problem is... which do I use and is it a norm or an as needed?  

CUSTOM
OTHER
MONITOR COLOR
NORTH AMERICAN GENERAL PURPOSE 2
NORTH AMERICAN PREPRESS 2
NORTH AMERICAN WEB/INTERNET
Erik Kaffehr

Shirley Bracken

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

Erik, I will need to digest some of that.  I thank you for giving me what to think about.  I did get my first good print today from my custom files.  I am so elated.  Only two sets of ink and gobs of paper.  I think I have and am making great progress.  I'll be ready to show you what I am photographing and not show something with too common a mistake.  PS suddenly has turned into a passion instead of a chore.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:06 am »

:-)

Hi,

Part of the reason I asked about what OS you are using is that it seems that "Snow Leopard" may have some issues with profiling. I don't know if the Color Munki takes care of these issue. I use Color Munky on Snow Leopard and had no problems.

Getting back to calibration. It's a bit complex. Colors are the easy part, the tonality is the hard one. Ideally the screen white would match the white of the paper in your viewing light. In this case it would be possible to give a pretty accurate preview of your print using the "custom proof settings" here:

[attachment=20376:SB2.jpg]

Unchecking the "Simulate Paper Color and Simulate Black Ink" gives you a preview of the colors without the tonality.

There is a problem with tonality and that is that all color management focuses on standardized viewing conditions which are far more bright than normal viewing conditions, except like in galleries. Problems are exaggerated by computer screens that are to bright (having 96 cd/m^2, you can consider yourself lucky). One hint is to review images for printing with white background.

Luminous Landscape has some excellent videos on the issue. In my view the "From Camera to Print" is a very good one.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, I will need to digest some of that.  I thank you for giving me what to think about.  I did get my first good print today from my custom files.  I am so elated.  Only two sets of ink and gobs of paper.  I think I have and am making great progress.  I'll be ready to show you what I am photographing and not show something with too common a mistake.  PS suddenly has turned into a passion instead of a chore.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:18:19 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Shirley Bracken

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:06:56 am »

Thanks Erik!  I bought and have watched Camera to Print many times!  I intend to watch it many more and then get a few more.  I have found a site that is specific to Photoshop and am going to buy a subscription there.  That should help me a great deal.  I have also found two people that we know who use PS.  

I very much want to do the soft proofing.  I need to work some on that soon.  

I thought this would be easier... HA!  BUT... if it was easy, anybody could do it.  

Anyway, I am using Velvet Fine Art Paper for my prints (of my paintings)  but I don't think it is the best choice.  Any suggestions?  

I am also using Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster for printing Photographs.  What do you think of that paper?

I am grateful for your time, sometimes I just hit things that stump me.

I need a scanner too.  (To scan original art)   Any suggestions?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

Hi Shirley,

Nice to hear that you make progress!

I don't have that much ideas about papers. I have used Velvet Fine Art and it's a fine paper in my view. Nowdays I'm using glossy pappers. The UPPPL you mention is probably great, I don't know.

Eric Chen has a writeup on papers, but it has not been updated for a couple of years: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...800/papers.html

Please also check out this: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...ntworkflow.html

I have checked a few papers but failed to see that much difference. Feel is of course different but if you put your prints behind glass the feel goes away. I don't like "pearl" surfaces because they pick up reflections from many directions. Normal glossy papers are better in that sense. I like also to have the same paper in different sizes. One paper I tried recently is "Harman Gloss FB Al" and I liked it a lot!

Which camera do you use? It may be better to simply photograph painting than to scan, at least if your painting are large. Other than that I'd say that most scanners are good. I'll probably opt for Epson or Canon.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Erik!  I bought and have watched Camera to Print many times!  I intend to watch it many more and then get a few more.  I have found a site that is specific to Photoshop and am going to buy a subscription there.  That should help me a great deal.  I have also found two people that we know who use PS.  

I very much want to do the soft proofing.  I need to work some on that soon.  

I thought this would be easier... HA!  BUT... if it was easy, anybody could do it.  

Anyway, I am using Velvet Fine Art Paper for my prints (of my paintings)  but I don't think it is the best choice.  Any suggestions?  

I am also using Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster for printing Photographs.  What do you think of that paper?

I am grateful for your time, sometimes I just hit things that stump me.

I need a scanner too.  (To scan original art)   Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:20:14 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Shirley Bracken

ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:11 am »

Thanks Erik, that was interesting.  His favorite was also mine too but then they changed it so you can't get it in sheets any more.  They recommended the VFA to replace it.  The name changes are very confusing.  Anyway... I like the VFA OK for now.

I love the Luster photo papers!  Gorgeous sharp color with out all the shine.

I wanted to ask you why you desaturated the color on your monitor if you have already calibrated it?  Just curious.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
ColorMunki questions...
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:56:19 am »

Hi!

I don't understand the question. If you are asking about the "desaturate colors" in the menu it's not checked...

Or:

- I don't know
- I think it's for CMYK conversion
- It's part of the the preset

Sorry no good answer!

I think it's related to CMYK.

[attachment=20384:SB1.jpg]

Erik

I wanted to ask you why you desaturated the color on your monitor if you have already calibrated it?  Just curious.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up