Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cut shutter sync cord?  (Read 1613 times)

simplify

cut shutter sync cord?
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:07:26 am »

I have a Hasslelblad V system with the procided Phase One Shutter sync cord which hooks up to the Hassy flash sync and Phase One back for shutter communication.  I just recently acquired  a Hassy SWC and was wondering if it is possible to shorten the shutter sync cord by cutting it re-soldering it and taping it.  Is it just a single wire on the inside, or multiple wires?

I would appreciate facts and knowledge, as opposed to opinions.

Thanks.  

JP

DavidP

• papas.com
cut shutter sync cord?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:36:08 am »

You can get Paramount to make a custom one for you. I had a short one made by them. Although it depends on which Phase back you have, If it takes the mini plug and not the din one then order  Tip#29 Wein 2.5 mm  to fit the phase one back.
They also have different tips for the lens end of  the cord for the different hasselblad sync connectors on the lens. The long tip works well for most hasselblad lenses. The custom cords are around $35, much less then Phase cords

Henry Goh

cut shutter sync cord?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:06 am »

I have cut such cords to shorten and then re-soldered them without issues.

ced

cut shutter sync cord?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:31 am »

Like Henry I too have shortened the sync cord and had no issues with it's function.
I doesn't look so neat but then it is better than a long cable getting in your way.
Go for it!

Dave Carter

• http://
cut shutter sync cord?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:04 am »

I agree there should be no problem.  I have also shortened (and in one case made much longer) sync cord.  The ones I have done have had two wires in the cable.  Use a small piece of electrical tape to isolate the wire soldered joints.  But then for a final closure, I like to use a small piece of 'shrink tube'.  Remember to slip the tube onto one side of the joint before soldering.  The 'shrink tube' makes a much nicer final closure then tape.  Over time tape comes loose, catches, etc.

CBarrett

cut shutter sync cord?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:39:05 pm »

Quote from: Dave Carter
I agree there should be no problem.  I have also shortened (and in one case made much longer) sync cord.  The ones I have done have had two wires in the cable.  Use a small piece of electrical tape to isolate the wire soldered joints.  But then for a final closure, I like to use a small piece of 'shrink tube'.  Remember to slip the tube onto one side of the joint before soldering.  The 'shrink tube' makes a much nicer final closure then tape.  Over time tape comes loose, catches, etc.

+1 Shrink Tube... Love that sh*t!
Pages: [1]   Go Up