Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH1 or Canon 550D  (Read 5947 times)

CalBoy87

Panasonic GH1 or Canon 550D
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:51:08 pm »

Hi. I know 550D isn't here yet, so for sake of the argument let's assume IQ is similar to 7D (regardless of fps, viewfinder e.t.c.). Now, I mostly shoot landscapes, macro and portraits, max ISO about 800, tripod, I am sure I will use video once I have it. Shooting in RAW and PP all the time. I had 40D, 5D, got fed up with weight and size, now I am looking for anything smaller, lighter with good IQ. Both systems has their pro and con, as I see it:

Canon - bigger sensor, more MP, more lenses, better high ISO, better LCD (but not swivel), smaller DOF (if needed), less difraction

Panasonic - bigger VF (but dead in low light), more possibility of future progress (or am I wrong here?), swivel LCD, better bracketing option, AF in video, better DOF preview, more alternate lens options

Price-wise they both came very close to each other, size and weight are both acceptable. My main concern is DOF (I like to be able t control it) and color/sharpness quality. I like Canons, never tried Panasonic, Canon looks better on paper spec-wise, but Panasonic with 4/3 sensor has brighter future. Anybody's welcome to share your point of view, thanks for that.

fredjeang

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:54:15 am »

Quote from: CalBoy87
Hi. I know 550D isn't here yet, so for sake of the argument let's assume IQ is similar to 7D (regardless of fps, viewfinder e.t.c.). Now, I mostly shoot landscapes, macro and portraits, max ISO about 800, tripod, I am sure I will use video once I have it. Shooting in RAW and PP all the time. I had 40D, 5D, got fed up with weight and size, now I am looking for anything smaller, lighter with good IQ. Both systems has their pro and con, as I see it:

Canon - bigger sensor, more MP, more lenses, better high ISO, better LCD (but not swivel), smaller DOF (if needed), less difraction

Panasonic - bigger VF (but dead in low light), more possibility of future progress (or am I wrong here?), swivel LCD, better bracketing option, AF in video, better DOF preview, more alternate lens options

Price-wise they both came very close to each other, size and weight are both acceptable. My main concern is DOF (I like to be able t control it) and color/sharpness quality. I like Canons, never tried Panasonic, Canon looks better on paper spec-wise, but Panasonic with 4/3 sensor has brighter future. Anybody's welcome to share your point of view, thanks for that.
Hi,

The Canon's 550D is an impressive offer.
If you are really concern about smaller and lighter with good IQ, The Panasonic or Oly are very good choices. Many of the people here in this forum have them and feel very happy. No doubt that they are great and enjoyable tools.
Now, you also have Canon's gear, although the new canon's sensor is demanding in terms of optical quality.
So I think it is more for you a matter of priorizing.

Fred.

CalBoy87

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,

The Canon's 550D is an impressive offer.
If you are really concern about smaller and lighter with good IQ, The Panasonic or Oly are very good choices. Many of the people here in this forum have them and feel very happy. No doubt that they are great and enjoyable tools.
Now, you also have Canon's gear, although the new canon's sensor is demanding in terms of optical quality.
So I think it is more for you a matter of priorizing.

Fred.

Price and size-wise they both very similar packages. GH1 and 550D are almost same in most respects. My main concern is IQ on 4/3 cameras? As I used to pictures form 40D, I am wondering if GH1 will be up to same standards, DR , sharpness and colors. I don,t mind size of either, they both pale compared to 5D with few lenses, but I don't wont to commit to 4/3 system if I won't like the results.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »

Price and size-wise they both very similar packages. GH1 and 550D are almost same in most respects. My main concern is IQ on 4/3 cameras? As I used to pictures form 40D, I am wondering if GH1 will be up to same standards, DR , sharpness and colors. I don,t mind size of either, they both pale compared to 5D with few lenses, but I don't wont to commit to 4/3 system if I won't like the results.

I have the G1 but this should be similar.

DR is less than my 40D.  Feels like a bigger gap than it measures out to be.  Sharpness is better due to the weaker AA filter and 2 more MP than the 40D.  The G1's colors are fine.

CalBoy87

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 12:28:47 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I have the G1 but this should be similar.

DR is less than my 40D.  Feels like a biggHer gap than it measures out to be.  Sharpness is better due to the weaker AA filter and 2 more MP than the 40D.  The G1's colors are fine.

OK, that,s valuable information. I would assume similar would apply to difference between GH1 and 550D? Although here is the Canon which has more MP, with similar pixel density. DR (according to DXO) are almost the same, so one could assume GH1 should give sharper pictures with good color and similar DR? Hmm, that sounds interesting..

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:10:18 am »

I've done same comparisons between my 450D and E-P1 as I'm considering moving to MFT. The E-P1 is inferior on areas which matter to me, mainly DR. The differences are not huge, though: 1 stop or so. High ISO is where even cheaper dSLRs shine, but that doesn't matter to me.

I'm eagerly awaiting for the next generation of prosumer/pro MFT cameras to come out, hopefully they have caught up with previous gen dSLRs. As Canon's latest generation or two of consumer and prosumer dSLRs haven't offered any IQ improvements apart from higher pixelcount, the case is probably the same with 550D. This according to DXOmark. That's the reason why I haven't bought the 7D.

DXOmark is free so feel free to check on their site.

CalBoy87

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:11 am »

Quote from: feppe
I've done same comparisons between my 450D and E-P1 as I'm considering moving to MFT. The E-P1 is inferior on areas which matter to me, mainly DR. The differences are not huge, though: 1 stop or so. High ISO is where even cheaper dSLRs shine, but that doesn't matter to me.

I'm eagerly awaiting for the next generation of prosumer/pro MFT cameras to come out, hopefully they have caught up with previous gen dSLRs. As Canon's latest generation or two of consumer and prosumer dSLRs haven't offered any IQ improvements apart from higher pixelcount, the case is probably the same with 550D. This according to DXOmark. That's the reason why I haven't bought the 7D.

DXOmark is free so feel free to check on their site.

Thanks for reply. While I am thinking of GH1, I was also surprised by DXO score, very close and in some instances better than 7D. As I sold all my Canon stuff, I am now in virgin stage, can go with either one. I want to avoid buying into one system and being disappointed  with it. As there is no GH1 in Korea, where I live, I have no clue as to performance of this come, other then photos on web and personal comments.  I am familiar with Canons and like them, but new technology and few small things may sway me to start M4/3 lens collection. I am sure GH2 won't come out until late this summer, 550D is here so I have decision to make. All your help is therefore very appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up