Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tsunami Scar, La'ie Point  (Read 1904 times)

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Tsunami Scar, La'ie Point
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:38 am »

It's been a while since I posted an image here.  I'm interested in hearing what you all think of this one.  Thanks for the feedback.

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:20:12 am »

Suggestion: hold a linear to the water edge on the top and watch carefully: the water line is concave instead of straight (it may have to be convex, depending on the angle and distance, but never concave).

If you are using a decent stitcher, you can specify top points of the water in all frames as being on a straight line, and the leftmost and rightmost one as being on a horizontal line.

One more thing: the sky shows uneven exposure.

Otherwise it is nice, though too small.
Gabor

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:39:55 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't check the straightness of the horizon on this one, but I should have.  Just FYI, this is a single shot with the top cropped off (boring blue sky without a single cloud).

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:29:29 pm »

I don't think the long exposure effect works very well for the breaking waves in a long shot like this. Much better to use that effect in a wide angle shot where the breaking water is in the foreground.

This is the kind of shot that depends on the title for its meaning. If we weren't aware of what we were looking at it, it would simply be another shot of water and a rock. It's somewhat interesting to know that this has something to do with a tsunami, but aside from that there's little else from a compositional standpoint to compel our interest.

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Just FYI, this is a single shot with the top cropped off
This surprizes me, for the water line's curvature is pretty much to an 18mm lens - although if you have cropped off much from the top, then this part must have been quote low. You could correct this by a stitcher (stitching a single frame can mean correction of curvature - or the opposite, introducing of curvature).

Anyway, I would separate the sky and give it its own lightness and contrast (i.e. lighter than the base).
Gabor
Pages: [1]   Go Up