Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KX 3200 iso samples  (Read 1286 times)

fredjeang

KX 3200 iso samples
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:07 am »

Hi,

I started to check the Pentax KX higher iso capability and I'm very pleased so far with the results,
considering it is an APS sensor.

I give you some samples here, all JPEGs "right-of-the-box", no noise reduction added, no sharpening either.
The B & W convertion is made in CS3 with Silver Efex Pro. Iso=3200 for all pictures.
28mm macro vintage lens. Manual focussing.(that is a bit of an hassle with the average viewfinder, did not used live-view)

-This first shot in reality was quasi a nocturne one when a huge cloud darkened the late evening just before the city-lights
were on. I've pushed the jpeg to give it a day atmosphere and it handled prety well.
[attachment=20324:plaza_espana_3200.jpg]

-This was a little later in a bar. Very very low and multicolored light source. Horrible conditions. I took a portrait of the waitress.
[attachment=20325:monica_3200_1.jpg]

-In the same bar, this is a crop that shows a detail of a picture (approx 20% of the all image).
I find the Pentax JPEG's files at 3200 to be really well balanced and clean.
[attachment=20326:bar_3200_detail.jpg]

-After heating myself in the bar, I whent to the...church    well, a cathedral in the same district,
following the cue to enter.
[attachment=20327:cathedral_3200_1.jpg]

-The organ
[attachment=20328:cathedral_3200_2.jpg]

-And this one was a mess, 4 types of light sources with totally different intensity and the place from I was taking the
picture was in the dark. The KX resolved quite well.
[attachment=20329:cathedral_3200_5.jpg]

To me, this little camera is a joy to use in low-light and I wanted to share with you my enthousiasm.

Cheers,

Fred.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:31:26 pm by fredjeang »

Patricia Sheley

KX 3200 iso samples
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,

I started to check the Pentax KX higher iso capability and I'm very pleased so far with the results,
considering it is an APS sensor.

I give you some samples here, all JPEGs "right-of-the-box", no noise reduction added, no sharpening either.
The B & W convertion is made in CS3 with Silver Efex Pro. Iso=3200 for all pictures.
28mm macro vintage lens. Manual focussing.(that is a bit of an hassle with the average viewfinder, did not used live-view)

-This first shot in reality was quasi a nocturne one when a huge cloud darkened the late evening just before the city-lights
were on. I've pushed the jpeg to give it a day atmosphere and it handled prety well.
[attachment=20324:plaza_espana_3200.jpg]

-This was a little later in a bar. Very very low and multicolored light source. Horrible conditions. I took a portrait of the waitress.
[attachment=20325:monica_3200_1.jpg]

-In the same bar, this is a crop that shows a detail of a picture (approx 20% of the all image).
I find the Pentax JPEG's files at 3200 to be really well balanced and clean.
[attachment=20326:bar_3200_detail.jpg]

-After heating myself in the bar, I whent to the...church    well, a cathedral in the same district,
following the cue to enter.
[attachment=20327:cathedral_3200_1.jpg]

-The organ
[attachment=20328:cathedral_3200_2.jpg]

-And this one was a mess, 4 types of light sources with totally different intensity and the place from I was taking the
picture was in the dark. The KX resolved quite well.
[attachment=20329:cathedral_3200_5.jpg]

To me, this little camera is a joy to use in low-light and I wanted to share with you my enthousiasm.

Cheers,

Fred.

Nice hi iso study Fred...One thing that catches my eye is the nice voyeur/journalistic quality of the bar portraits...so often you see the attempts while using various bw conversions to get back to that subtle pushed look...not to the point of pointilistic but soft...I could easily see an entire series done this way...  Pat
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up