Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovering 3FR files from CF card  (Read 2550 times)

pflower

Recovering 3FR files from CF card
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:54 pm »

I know I saw a thread on this somewhere recently but simply can't find it.  Apologies if this has been done before here.

I made a series (4 to be precise) of pix on my H3D-39 which I inspected on the screen and then continued shooting.  I had a number of problems with the camera - mostly instructions to restart or inspect the back.  There may be a problem with the camera which is going into Hasselblad tomorrow. However when I downloaded the files from my Sandisk card the 4 files were simply not there.  I know I shot them.  I know I didn't delete them.  Image Rescue which I have on my Mac only found the files that Lightroom or the finder could find.

Anyone got any suggestions as to any other software that I might try.  The card doesn't seem corrupted but something has gone wrong.

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »

Quote from: pflower
I know I saw a thread on this somewhere recently but simply can't find it.  Apologies if this has been done before here.

I made a series (4 to be precise) of pix on my H3D-39 which I inspected on the screen and then continued shooting.  I had a number of problems with the camera - mostly instructions to restart or inspect the back.  There may be a problem with the camera which is going into Hasselblad tomorrow. However when I downloaded the files from my Sandisk card the 4 files were simply not there.  I know I shot them.  I know I didn't delete them.  Image Rescue which I have on my Mac only found the files that Lightroom or the finder could find.

Anyone got any suggestions as to any other software that I might try.  The card doesn't seem corrupted but something has gone wrong.

FileSalvage and DataRescue II (now Data Rescue 3) are both apps that I've successfully used to recover trashed 3f files (although they showed up as tifs and had to be renamed with a new suffix in the info window). Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:04:17 pm by rsmphoto »

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:05:11 pm »

Hi,

I had a huge crash in external disks this last summer, hundred of gigabytes destroyed and following the advice of a programer friend I used a sofware called getbackdata.
99%have been recovered, even after an hard disk been formated by mistake.
Really impressive!

Maybe getbackdata might work for you.

Good luck.

Fred.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »

+1 Data Rescue II (now III)

hubell

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:01:19 am »

Quote from: pflower

PhotoRescue.

Barkeeper

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:44:06 am »

DO NOT TOUCH THE CARD ANYMORE !!!!

Hello pflower,

this seem to be the time for some forensics...

1. Have you made any changes (e.g. photos) on the CF card since you lost your 4 picture?

If yes - you might have overwritten those files you are looking for.

If not there might be a chance to recover those photos by "data carving".

This not very simple, but I could help you.

Step 1:
Get a forensic image of the CF-Card.

Step 2:
Upload it somewhere that I could download it.

Step 3:
Find the signature of your 3FR files.
Almost any file starts with a special signature in hex (FFD8 btw. is jpg)
This would be the header.
Some, but NOT all, files do have a special signature in the end.
(FFD9 ist the footer jpg)

Step 4:
Scan for signatures

Step 5:
Recover found images
(for jpg: copy everything between FFD8 and FFD9 into a new hex file and rename it to .jpg => Here is your jpg)

A good tool for step 1 is the FTK imager Lite (freeware) which runs without installation on Windows.
http://www.accessdata.com/downloads/curren...ite%202.6.1.zip

But I think you will need help to create the forensic image of your card.

You can contact me.
Maybe I could help you on the phone or via teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx .
This software would allow me to get some remote access to your PC - that is what i recommend.

Barkeeper

francois

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:54:45 am »

Quote from: hcubell
PhotoRescue.
+1 ( http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ )
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:55:41 am by francois »
Francois

pflower

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:18:35 pm »

Many thanks for the offer, but I have suddenly realised that the missing photos were the first ones that I made on that particular card and not (as I had originally thought) the last ones on a previous card.  So I made at least 15 images after missing ones.  

Its not a complete disaster, these were part of a landscape project so i can go back and re-shoot.  The bugger is that yesterday here in England was particularly beautiful and today (like most of january and february ) has been flat grey and wet.  Camera gone back for examination.

Again many thanks but I think I will move on.

Quote from: Barkeeper
DO NOT TOUCH THE CARD ANYMORE !!!!

Hello pflower,

this seem to be the time for some forensics...

1. Have you made any changes (e.g. photos) on the CF card since you lost your 4 picture?

If yes - you might have overwritten those files you are looking for.

If not there might be a chance to recover those photos by "data carving".

This not very simple, but I could help you.

Step 1:
Get a forensic image of the CF-Card.

Step 2:
Upload it somewhere that I could download it.

Step 3:
Find the signature of your 3FR files.
Almost any file starts with a special signature in hex (FFD8 btw. is jpg)
This would be the header.
Some, but NOT all, files do have a special signature in the end.
(FFD9 ist the footer jpg)

Step 4:
Scan for signatures

Step 5:
Recover found images
(for jpg: copy everything between FFD8 and FFD9 into a new hex file and rename it to .jpg => Here is your jpg)

A good tool for step 1 is the FTK imager Lite (freeware) which runs without installation on Windows.
http://www.accessdata.com/downloads/curren...ite%202.6.1.zip

But I think you will need help to create the forensic image of your card.

You can contact me.
Maybe I could help you on the phone or via teamviewer http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx .
This software would allow me to get some remote access to your PC - that is what i recommend.

Barkeeper
Pages: [1]   Go Up