Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Nikon's shade  (Read 3815 times)

fredjeang

The Nikon's shade
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:27 am »

Hi,
I would like to have your thoughts about Nikon as combocam.

My only camera that features HD movie is a recent Pentax KX. I'm learning with it and for the moment, and where I am (just starting to work with video and in the beginning of the learning curve) it fits my needs.
Now, I also want to think long term and an upgrade to FF with video capabilities will be soon or later necessary.

It seems that Canon is THE brand. I'm very surprised that Sony has not yet made a step with an Alpha FF with HD video because it is their land if I can say that. But I've been recently impressed by some video made with the Nikon D3.

Do you think Nikon can be taken seriously for Combocam, or is it Canon and Canon?
What are the advantages of Nikon in this area?

Thank you.

Fred.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
The Nikon's shade
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:17 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
But I've been recently impressed by some video made with the Nikon D3.

Do you think Nikon can be taken seriously for Combocam, or is it Canon and Canon?
What are the advantages of Nikon in this area?

It appears that Nikon has not really invested that much in video yet. As often, I feel that this is mostly the result of a lack of motivation of some key influencers inside their organization. Their engineers have some pretty strong views about what a camera should be, they are typically less influenced by their marketing Dept than Canon.

Their next generation might be the real deal but as of now Canon sure appears to be a better bet as far as video is concerned.

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

The Nikon's shade
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:33 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
It appears that Nikon has not really invested that much in video yet. As often, I feel that this is mostly the result of a lack of motivation of some key influencers inside their organization. Their engineers have some pretty strong views about what a camera should be, they are typically less influenced by their marketing Dept than Canon.

Their next generation might be the real deal but as of now Canon sure appears to be a better bet as far as video is concerned.

Cheers,
Bernard
Bernard,
I'd like Nikon in this game, because honestly, I find the Nikon's approach real "photographic". Maybe I'm snob or whatever, but the Nikon's files are better to me than Canon's, they have a style that I find more "serious" while Canon is more "mass-style". I'm explaining this very badly, I realise that my english reach its limits there.  

Cheers,
Fred.

BJL

The Nikon's shade
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
It appears that Nikon has not really invested that much in video yet. ...
Nikon might be waiting for Sony to deliver its new, more video oriented "Exmor APS HD CMOS" sensor, capable of full 1080 line video, as previewed at PMA:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022103sony2010.asp
12MP DSLR sensors are not really up to 1080p video resolution, so long as they down-res. by "decimation", using only every third line.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
The Nikon's shade
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:17 am »

I did a 'test' of nikon versus canon here..

d3s shakedown

In summary the D3s is good enough for SD or web video - but not as good as the canons

IMO the D3 (s/x) are the finest DSLRs ever for shooting stills

So given brief of one camera - stills and web video (say remote hiking exploring) - I would choose the D3s

Given a brief that allowed two cameras and had higher demands on the video side I would use a D3 for stills and a 5 or 7 for motion

The onboard sound of the D3 is good because no AGC - canon are shortly sorting that with the 5

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up