Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website builders and hosting companies  (Read 1797 times)

Joe Dragon Fine Art Photography

• http://
Website builders and hosting companies
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »

Hello,  I am in the process of putting together info for a website. Have talked to some re best way to proceed--individual or internet. Would like to get some feedback from personal experiences such as cost working with individual or internet companies and satisfaction with each and hosting companies you are familiar with. Thanks for any info. Joe

LoisWakeman

Website builders and hosting companies
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:47 am »

[Edit - a week later - was this any help at all Joe?]

You won't get an unbiased view from me as I am a freelance developer! However, perhaps the most important thing to find out is how to maintain the content after the initial design and handover. You don't want to be stuck with a site that you have to pay someone to update.

Individuals can give you a more personal service as long as you pick a good one - there are still some terrible designers out there who did a week's course and think they know it all - I've been doing it for many years and know just how much more I need to learn to be better  . Bigger companies offer more continuity over the long term, but will often charge you a lot more for the same.

You can build a pretty decent web site yourself using a blogging system like Wordpress - I am just doing that for a local arts organisation so they can manage the content themselves. Wordpress.com provides a hosting service so you don't need to worry about keeping the software up to date, which can be a bit daunting if you aren't a geek - the basic service is free but you can pay for extras like domain pointing, designing your own templates, no ads etc. Or there are lots of subscription-based services, many aimed specifically at photographers. I have no personal experience of any of them but others here probably have.

I've got some info on my site, which may be a bit too simplistic if you are already on the road to having a site http://lois.co.uk/web-design/getting-started.asp

Good luck anyway.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:33:05 am by LoisWakeman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up