Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files sizes of very large sensors  (Read 2199 times)

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
Files sizes of very large sensors
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:37:52 am »

I wanted to ask owners of digital backs with very large sensors if the file sizes are not becoming an issue when processing? E.g. Hasselblad H3D-II 50 or 60 compared to H3D-II 39. Are the larger files workable and don't the slow down or otherwise burden the whole workflow too much? Thanks for insights.
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

JDG

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:06:07 am »

In all honesty it hasn't been an issue for me.  P65+ files process faster than when I first started working with 22mp backs a few years ago.  I don t find storage to be any more of an issue either as the cost/gb rate has outpaced the increase in file size.  I dont know about the Hassy, but the filesize of P65+ raw file is pretty manageable at about 60mb.  Only a few years ago a 22mp H25 had a raw file around 40mb to the increase has not been too bad.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:50 am »

Well, for me the P65+ files are indeed slower to process, however the only real issue is when outputting a bunch of 16-bit tiffs on my aging 2-core MacBook Pro with 6G ram.  On my 8-core desktop with 24G ram, they fly through pretty quickly.  The only other thing is storage requirements are up, but fortunately the prices of very large hard drives are way down, so no real issue there either.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »

... the theory is that a good quality high-res file needs less post-processing, and if it does need post-processing, then with a good, big file you can change things without making the picture look muddy and horrible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:38:51 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

On location I use a MBP 17" 2009 model and have no problems with the 33MP files of the AptusII7.

Professional

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »

I use my H3DII-39 files, before on my 17" MBP [2008] that is not working now, and my new 13" MBP, and my Mac Mini, all fine, i don't see much slow unless it is very slow to you, for me coming from PC to Mac [i did move to Mac since 2008] i can see the difference. We will see what it will be with H4D-60
Pages: [1]   Go Up