Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson4990 - need help using 4x5 holder  (Read 1539 times)

Marshallarts

Epson4990 - need help using 4x5 holder
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:09:22 am »

Please forgive me, I only post here when I really need to and feel the thread can contribute to the great information I've found here.  Unfortunately I'm really stuck and seriously need help.  I've read the manual, looked everywhere I possibly could, and tried everything I can think of...  And yet I feel this is probably something really stupid that has a very easy fix.  I posted on largeformatphotography but immediately afterwards the site went down.  A day later it's still down and I still am stuck.

I few days ago I bought a new Epson 4990.  Yes new, but it was cheap.  I have it up and running in professional mode but when I select "film (negative holder)" it defaults the document size to 4.55x1.26 and I CAN'T change it no matter what I've tried...  After scanning I'm stuck with 6 separate scanned strips.  It appear the scanner thinks I'm using the 35mm film holder but I'm using the 4x5 holder.  When I try to manually change the size it won't let me.

There MUST be a preset for these OEM 4x5 holders, it came with the dang thing!  Why can't I get the scanner to scan the correct size?  

I'm so sorry, but after days I still haven't been able to make one scan yet.  Thanks

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:35 pm »

I've give up trying to make Epson scan ever do what I want it to. I'll play around with mine tonight and see if I can see what might be going on.

However, I recommend you download Vuescan. It's worth it.

Marshallarts

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:11:04 am »

Quote from: LiamStrain
I've give up trying to make Epson scan ever do what I want it to. I'll play around with mine tonight and see if I can see what might be going on.

However, I recommend you download Vuescan. It's worth it.

Thanks.  I actually got it to work as it seems largeformatphotography is working now and my post got responses.   I knew it was something simple.  I just needed to deselect "thumbnail" and then manually select my area with the marquee tool..........

capsfoto

• http://www.capsfoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:23:50 am »

Quote from: Marshallarts
Please forgive me, I only post here when I really need to and feel the thread can contribute to the great information I've found here.  Unfortunately I'm really stuck and seriously need help.  I've read the manual, looked everywhere I possibly could, and tried everything I can think of...  And yet I feel this is probably something really stupid that has a very easy fix.  I posted on largeformatphotography but immediately afterwards the site went down.  A day later it's still down and I still am stuck.

I few days ago I bought a new Epson 4990.  Yes new, but it was cheap.  I have it up and running in professional mode but when I select "film (negative holder)" it defaults the document size to 4.55x1.26 and I CAN'T change it no matter what I've tried...  After scanning I'm stuck with 6 separate scanned strips.  It appear the scanner thinks I'm using the 35mm film holder but I'm using the 4x5 holder.  When I try to manually change the size it won't let me.

There MUST be a preset for these OEM 4x5 holders, it came with the dang thing!  Why can't I get the scanner to scan the correct size?  

I'm so sorry, but after days I still haven't been able to make one scan yet.  Thanks

I use the epson 3200. in the setup menu I have to select positive or negativ first ( reflected vs. transparent) then there is the option for what size the original is (4x5 4x7 etc.) this sets the scanning area. you also select dpi etc that way. Be patient and don't get frustrated, I have been there myself, hope this works.

LiamStrain

• http://www.streetlevel-photography.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:16 am »

Quote from: Marshallarts
Thanks.  I actually got it to work as it seems largeformatphotography is working now and my post got responses.   I knew it was something simple.  I just needed to deselect "thumbnail" and then manually select my area with the marquee tool..........

Nice. Glad you figured it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up