Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One LS lenses -user feedback please?  (Read 14752 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
Phase One LS lenses -user feedback please?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »

I am just planning my next lens for P40 kit.  I was hoping to only buy the new LS lenses, but right now i need a lens around 120mm macro style.  Was thinking about the 110mm LS, but noticed the min focus distance is not that close.

Any idea if there are plans to produce a macro LS lens?  otherwise i think i'm heading for the old 120 macro....

Cheers

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 07:16:32 pm »

Quote from: evonzz
I am just planning my next lens for P40 kit.  I was hoping to only buy the new LS lenses, but right now i need a lens around 120mm macro style.  Was thinking about the 110mm LS, but noticed the min focus distance is not that close.

Any idea if there are plans to produce a macro LS lens?  otherwise i think i'm heading for the old 120 macro....

Would macro extension tubes + Schneider 110mm work for you?

pchong

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »

I actually have an old, 35mm film Samsumg point and shoot with Schneider-Kreuznach engraved on the lens barrel. I must say, its better than the average point and shoot...and the color of the images have the specific German look/feel.

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
Which isn't to say that respected lens manufacturer's won't provide lenses for all kinds of cameras. I've seen plenty of little crappy point and shoots with Zeiss splashed across the lens barrel. Hard to say how good a lens it was. But the pricing is probably appropriate to most all situations, whether it's a $115 Kodak digicam or a $3,400 LS Lens for a Phase One DF camera.

Steve Hendrix

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »

[quote name='narikin' date='Feb 14 2010, 02:37 PM' post='347014']
can any users of the Phase /Schneider LS lenses give some feedback?

are they optically any better at wider apertures - like f4.0 ?

anyone used the 110mm - although I dont think its officially released yet.

Capture Integration were promising some comparative tests, but nothing has appeared.

/quote]

I've been using the 80 mm LS for two months now and I can attest to its sharpness - very good at full aperture and outstanding at f4. Although I tend to leave the 75-150 D zoom on the camera, I find myself using the 80 mm more and more. (Partly because it is so light!)
Bill

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 06:57:43 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Indeed. I found it excruciatingly hard to compare wide open performance for real-world items (e.g. not a test chart) because at f/2.8 the critical DOF is just so freaking small and the only thing that's going to vary in a meaningful way is the corners since the center performance of the 80mm D f/2.8 is very sharp (80mm D corner performance is excellent all-things-considered, but falls off enough that in theory it could be improved).

I personally ran a test over Christmas weekend and despite very careful technique, over-sized tripod, tethered capture to a 30" monitor I could not produce (in my two hour slot I had that night) two shots which matched focused on all four corners and center between the two lenses. Literally a mm of subject movement, a difference in focus distance of a mm, a fraction of a degree of rotation,  meant enough of a difference to make direct comparison irrelevant.

Also there was a difference in the renderings of both in and out of focus elements such that even equally sharp parts of the image looked slightly different.

Probably more important than sharpness is the character of the lens anyhow - how does it render color and macro contrast.  Does it draw doublets around high contrast lines in the OOF regions (like a lot of zeiss and leica glass), or does it draw wavy web like patterns (like mamiya), or does it draw smooth butter like the Rollei schneider lenses?   How about specular flare control - are you going to see a sprinkling of pentagonal aperture images across the image when shooting into the light or where the light comes through small holes or reflects off of drops of water on your model?  Is there a color bias?  Are tones smooth across an larger area?  What about distortion? That's the first clue to someone that they are looking at a photo instead of out a window.  I'd take a distortion free lens over a sharp lens any day.   Lot's can be done to fix color and distortion in post, but its a PIA and complex distortion where the inside of the field has barrel that transitions to pin on the edges is hard to correct well.  

Doug, can you tell us how Phase handles the distortion C1  pro?  It looks like its just a simple correction...
Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »

We do want to perform comparative tests. And yes, we do want to compare more than sharpness, indeed the character of lenses, how they draw, how they react to different subject conditions, etc. But yes, they do take time, and we have a full boatload of projects and endeavors. But it is on the radar and as soon as we can get some tests done, we'll post them.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 06:39:32 pm »

tubes could work....
is there a chart available anywhere that has modified focusing distances when using tubes with various lens?

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »

I have a 80mm LS being shipped to me for our workshop tomorrow and i will run some tests on this against the 80mm D this coming week . Capture Integration folks are sending it in for us to use along with the Cambo RS and a couple T/S lenses
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Henry Goh

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:45 am »

Doug, would the DOF be seriously compromised using this combo compared to a 110mm or 120mm macro lens?  Just wondering out loud.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up