Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Sliding Back/Finder  (Read 3395 times)

cgoss

• http://craiggoss.com
Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:15:10 am »

Questions for Chris Barrett and anyone else with knowledge of the finder (discontinued Hasselblad rmfx if I have it right) pictured in an earlier post featuring Chris's M Line Two.

1. Arca doesn't appear to offer a similar finder.  Are there alternatives to the rmfx?

2. Is the KG sliding back designed to be compatible with the finder or has it somehow been adapted?

3. Can the rmfx or other be used successfully with an Arca Rotaslide?

CBarrett

Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Quote from: cgoss
Questions for Chris Barrett and anyone else with knowledge of the finder (discontinued Hasselblad rmfx if I have it right) pictured in an earlier post featuring Chris's M Line Two.

1. Arca doesn't appear to offer a similar finder.  Are there alternatives to the rmfx?

2. Is the KG sliding back designed to be compatible with the finder or has it somehow been adapted?

3. Can the rmfx or other be used successfully with an Arca Rotaslide?

The Kapture Group slider has a groove that accepts Hasselblad viewers.  Mine, which was designed for the SWC (I believe) lacks a prism so the image, although upright, remains laterally reversed.  The benefit is it's much lighter than the prism finders.  I wonder, though, would a metering prism work?  That would be kind of fun.  The Arca Rotaslide does not accept H'blad finders, as far as I know.  As for the usefulness of all that...  I really don't bother with the viewer unless I'm in studio or shooting interiors with a long lens.  It's really hard to use for wide lenses as you need to move your eye around the image to get "sweet spots."  I find that I generally don't have to bother with a cover cloth when using a standard loupe so that is my most common approach.

-CB

cgoss

Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:53:56 am »

It looks great (and potentially useful) but I'm back to looking at loupes after reading how difficult it is to use with wide lenses.  Thanks for that Chris!

cgoss

Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:09 am »

I'm intrigued by your idea though ... anyone else have thoughts on use of a metering prism?

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »

I'm intrigued by your idea though ... anyone else have thoughts on use of a metering prism?
A metering prism could work, but it requires a ground glass.  The rm Hasselblad device came with a ground glass device.
SK Grimes might be able to fabricate a mount for the 6x9 Arca ground glass to accept a Hasselblad prism.
As the image is formed on the ground glass anyway it should be accurate.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

jotloob

Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »

Chris

I use an ARCA SWISS F-LINE METRIC 6x9 and a ROTASLIDE ADAPTER.
As soon as you have two HASSELBLAD V-ADAPTERS you can use the RMfx finder together with the "V-500 series" groundglas or when using WA lenses with the "V-500 series SWC" groundglas adapter .
I have done so many times in the studio and found no trouble at all .
When using WA lenses like the RODENSTOCK digital lens 5,6/35 mm , I had to get the rear frame for my F-LINE modified to get enough clearance for the slide movement .
No problem with the MONOLYTH type ARCA because of different design of the backframe .

Jürgen
Jürgen

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »

Hi,
You need to consider that the critical tolerance of the adjusted flange to focus distance at infinity should be 0.02mm. Thus the error tolerance between your sensor and groundglass planes should be same, which in simpler words is very very small and exact. 0.02mm is much less than was required for film.

Regards
Anders

archivue

Arca Sliding Back/Finder
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

i've found that the best compromise with the arca ground glass N is with the rodenstock 6X loupe.

with a 6x9 screen you can preview a stitching...

By the way, Kapture Group have the best support possible... Keith Hugues is a fantastic person to deal with !
The Kapture Group sliding back is really small and convenient, it packs nicely compare to the rotaslide.

But with an RM3D, you don't have the choice, you have to go with the rotaslide because of registration.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:20:51 pm by archivue »
Pages: [1]   Go Up