Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A few from Japan  (Read 9544 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
A few from Japan
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:29 am »

My dear LL friends,

Following a few busy weeks with little photography, we had the chance to spend a few days in Akita Prefecture, northern Japan. The place always gets a lot of snow, but this year is special.

Some images resulted, mostly shot with the D3x and a 24mm T/S lens.

More after the link.

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

A few from Japan
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:37:02 am »

Ahhh...Japan!
Lucky Bernard you live in such refined country.
Thank you for these evocative pictures.

I watched on the map Akita location, on the Sea of Japan and not far from Hokkaido. Winter should get cold in this area, but we also had this year in Europe colder weather and snow in the south.

I've read in a newspaper that in Japan there is still a lot of 35mm film users, more than any other country. Is this true? Fashion?

Regards,

Fred.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
A few from Japan
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:13 am »

I never cease to be enthralled by your photos. The depth of tone is outstanding, and as someone who's struggled with grey snow, sight of the first shot here leaves me deeply jealous

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
A few from Japan
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:28 am »

Excellent stuff, Bernard. Reminds me of the week I spent at the Fujiya hotel in early 1954. In those days the Fujiya was an R&R hotel for us military folks from Korea, and every bit as lovely as the environment in your photographs. I'd imagine it's still that way.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
A few from Japan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:13 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
My dear LL friends,

Following a few busy weeks with little photography, we had the chance to spend a few days in Akita Prefecture, northern Japan. The place always gets a lot of snow, but this year is special.

Some images resulted, mostly shot with the D3x and a 24mm T/S lens.

Cheers,
Bernard

I like the 2nd and 3rd photos very much, you have captured a lovely sense of atmosphere and the images have a nice tonal richness that I love. The 1st one, I think, would be vastly improved without the people.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
A few from Japan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:30:04 am »

Wonderful work, as always, Bernard.  Thanks for sharing them!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

A few from Japan
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:03:17 am »

Another excellent serie. I love #2 but other images are very nice too...
Francois

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
A few from Japan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:08:51 am »

Lovely.
My favourite is #1, but I like each of the series.

BernardLanguillier

A few from Japan
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:11 pm »

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

Cheers,
Bernard

popnfresh

A few from Japan
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »

Very nice shots, but where are the snow monkeys?  

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
A few from Japan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 06:21:12 am »

I love the mood you create in your images Bernard. I agree in that i think the first image would be improved without the people, especially because the woman at the back has her face obscured which looks a little akward. The evocative mood created by the contrast between the snow, cold and the shapes of the gnarled timber uprights of the structure is quite lovely and would be strengthened in my opinion without human presence.

Thank you once again,
Julie
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:21:39 am by jule »

RSL

A few from Japan
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:54:15 am »

I don't agree with Peter or Julie. They're correct that the first shot without the people would be a very good picture, but it would be a very different picture with a completely different emphasis. For THIS picture the people need to be there.

PeterAit

A few from Japan
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 05:34:51 pm »

Quote from: RSL
I don't agree with Peter or Julie. They're correct that the first shot without the people would be a very good picture, but it would be a very different picture with a completely different emphasis. For THIS picture the people need to be there.

My objection to the people is not the people per se because people could indeed be an effective part of this photo. The problem rather is that the people appear to be an accident in what is otherwise a serene and thoughtful image. They overlap each other, they face away from the camera, faces are partially obscured, etc. The people are a random snapshot, the rest of the image is a studied landscape.

RSL

A few from Japan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
My objection to the people is not the people per se because people could indeed be an effective part of this photo. The problem rather is that the people appear to be an accident in what is otherwise a serene and thoughtful image. They overlap each other, they face away from the camera, faces are partially obscured, etc. The people are a random snapshot, the rest of the image is a studied landscape.

Peter, There are three girls in that picture. The nearest girl is indicating that the air is cold by wrapping her scarf tighter around her neck. The second girl is simply staring at the beauty of the snow. The third girl's face is partially obscured by the second girl's face, but she's also obviously taking in the beauty of the scene. Because those three girls are there with their dark clothing we can verify that the snow still is falling, an assumption we can make but not verify from the misty background. Almost all shots of this kind are "snapshots," but to call it random ignores the evidence.

PeterAit

A few from Japan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

Peter, There are three girls in that picture. The nearest girl is indicating that the air is cold by wrapping her scarf tighter around her neck. The second girl is simply staring at the beauty of the snow. The third girl's face is partially obscured by the second girl's face, but she's also obviously taking in the beauty of the scene. Because those three girls are there with their dark clothing we can verify that the snow still is falling, an assumption we can make but not verify from the misty background. Almost all shots of this kind are "snapshots," but to call it random ignores the evidence.

With respect, I think you are grasping at straws. I would like to see the photo with only 1 person in it, the one closest to the camera - then I think it would be a terrific photo with the person an important element. As it is - no way.

Brad Proctor

A few from Japan
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »

Very nice!  I like #2 the best
Brad Proctor

RSL

A few from Japan
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 07:06:48 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
With respect, I think you are grasping at straws. I would like to see the photo with only 1 person in it, the one closest to the camera - then I think it would be a terrific photo with the person an important element. As it is - no way.

Peter, I'd agree that one person would be best, but if the girl closest to the camera were the one person, what the picture would say is: "Brrrr."

BernardLanguillier

A few from Japan
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:35:36 am »

Peter, I'd agree that one person would be best, but if the girl closest to the camera were the one person, what the picture would say is: "Brrrr."

Thanks for taking the time to discuss about this image, I am flattered!

Allow me to jump in and say a word about intend and process:

- I took first the same image without people in the foreground, and that was the initial intend (this was shot on tripod),
- I did then wait deliberately for some potential onsen users to show up and did capture a few, out of which the one I posted is my favorite because I feel it does tell a story about cold, about girls hesitating a bit about entering naked a mixed onsen with some man already inside.

I agree that they relative position is not perfect, but this is not a posed image...

Cheers,
Bernard

Patricia Sheley

A few from Japan
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »

Hello Bernard...I have been admiring your first image...At the very first view, I missed and remembered at once the wonderful and inspiring Akira Kurosawa. It feels to me as one of his beautiful story board paintings for Dreams. I have watched that collection of eight short films many many times to quiet and focus my mind...

He had such a complete and compassionate awareness of his environment and it so extraordinarily fueled his dreams which he gifted to us in those pieces.  

I am probably somewhat unwelcome here as I am not very good I think at critique, but I do very much love to stand and discuss works, the why and from where I feel the power and pull and how deeply I feel the story and then to further understand the depths by what others see...I always hope to be near those who can be so open and generous with their thoughts.

I have lost my brothers, each to suicides and then nurtured my mother after her attempts at suicide...the intense Russian that was her husband and my father changed us deeply from within...it took me long  to believe I deserved to live...but his work Kurosawa's work sustained me and helped me value my own dreams. All of this came flooding back as I admire your photograph...It's life and environment and their story is painted with the inclusion of the visitors to the onsen. Whatever it is I see I know is shaped by the incisions, cuts, wounds and healing in my life...It is only in these my late years that I can see that all those damages at the hands of my father has indeed provided the gift of immense enjoyment of work such as yours.

Thankyou that you did share this very fine work and that you would also explain as to your thinking on making it.

Patricia Sheley
A common woman~

fredjeang

A few from Japan
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »

Quote from: psheleyimages
I am probably somewhat unwelcome here as I am not very good I think at critique, but I do very much love to stand and discuss works, the why and from where I feel the power and pull and how deeply I feel the story and then to further understand the depths by what others see...I always hope to be near those who can be so open and generous with their thoughts.

Not at all Patricia,
The critics are opened to everyone I guess, and there are not focused only on techs. Actually, the deep feeling, this inside vibration that a picture can provoque to some is indeed more important than just the tech.
And you certainly have a lot to say and share.  

Cheers,

Fred.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up