Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One hard case?  (Read 6653 times)

Brent McCombs

• http://www.alterego.zenfolio.com
Phase One hard case?
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:47:48 pm »

I'm trying to get my gear ready for air-travel, which after Christmas, has become quite a challenge.

So my first question is what is the origin of the current Phase One Hard case? I'm assuming someone makes it for Phase, and they just brand it. But is it Pelican/SKB/Hardigg or other?

Also, does the current Think Tank Airport Ultralight 2.5 fit in the Phase case, or to utilize the Think Tank, would you have to upgrade/switch hard cases as well?

Think Tank says the Ultralight is compatible with the Pelican 1510; Hardigg Stormcase iM2500; and SKB 3i-2011-7B (who names these things??), but with none of those available locally, I'd have to order online. I don't want to just be ordering something that I effectively have in the Phase case, but it seems from the measurements that the phase case is a bit shallower than the others.

So can anyone advise on this, or offer alternative solutions? My goal is to be able to carry on the Phase One, with 3 lenses, a Nikon D3x with the 70-200; 85 f/1.4 and 24-70 in a rolling case, but if the airline gives me grief about wheels on the roller, have a backpack I can pull out and carry on my back while the roller gets checked in the hold.

Brent

BJNY

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:19:02 pm »

I believe it's OEM from Storm.
Guillermo

CBarrett

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
I believe it's OEM from Storm.

Yeah, the latches do look like Storm's.  Mine is about identical in size to my Pelican 1510.  I recently got rid of my 645 df, but before I did I could pack the 645 with the 80mm and back attached, the 45mm, the 120mm, my D3 (laying on is back) with a couple lenses and a bit of room to spare in that Phase Case (which fits into most overhead storage units).

-C

Brent McCombs

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 11:51:11 pm »

Quote from: CBarrett
Yeah, the latches do look like Storm's.  Mine is about identical in size to my Pelican 1510.  I recently got rid of my 645 df, but before I did I could pack the 645 with the 80mm and back attached, the 45mm, the 120mm, my D3 (laying on is back) with a couple lenses and a bit of room to spare in that Phase Case (which fits into most overhead storage units).

-C

Thanks guys.  Why did you get rid of the 645 DF?

CBarrett

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »

Quote from: Brent McCombs
Thanks guys.  Why did you get rid of the 645 DF?

I really had no need for a 645 slr, but it was such a good deal when I bought the P65+ that I added it on. 6 months later I saw that I had really never used the thing and after deciding to add the Arca Rm3d to my kit, really couldn't justify keeping it.

I did think it was quite nice.  The Phase One branded lenses are just beautiful and the DF model felt really responsive.  I almost miss it....

but it seems I'm unable to make a single composition without a little rise, shift or sometimes tilt.

-CB

JoeKitchen

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »

I really had no need for a 645 slr, but it was such a good deal when I bought the P65+ that I added it on. 6 months later I saw that I had really never used the thing and after deciding to add the Arca Rm3d to my kit, really couldn't justify keeping it.

I did think it was quite nice.  The Phase One branded lenses are just beautiful and the DF model felt really responsive.  I almost miss it....

but it seems I'm unable to make a single composition without a little rise, shift or sometimes tilt.

-CB
Does Phase ever offer other incentives to buy, besides there camera system?  It seems like such a nice deal but very impractical for a shooter needing a technical camera.  I am thinking maybe a couple of view camera lenses for the same deal?
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Brent McCombs

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

-CB

Chris,

I just checked out your website. Outstanding work, and fully understandable why the Arca would be desirable over the DF. I'm actually hoping to shoot off the tripod for the first time in the next couple shoots, and see how the DF holds up in a dynamic environment (and how many frames I can actually get in focus.

B

Brent McCombs

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
Does Phase ever offer other incentives to buy, besides there camera system?  It seems like such a nice deal but very impractical for a shooter needing a technical camera.  I am thinking maybe a couple of view camera lenses for the same deal?

Joe,

Consider a chat with your local rep, or even better, attending one of the PODAS seminars. My experience in Death Valley was extremely positive, and if my experience was any indication, I'd bet that the good folks at Phase USA would be willing to work with you.

CBarrett

Phase One hard case?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »

Quote from: Brent McCombs
Chris,

I just checked out your website. Outstanding work, and fully understandable why the Arca would be desirable over the DF. I'm actually hoping to shoot off the tripod for the first time in the next couple shoots, and see how the DF holds up in a dynamic environment (and how many frames I can actually get in focus.

B

Thanks for the compliment, Brent.  And you know what's crazy?  I look at my work and I think "That's pretty damn good..."  and I still lay awake at night picking the images apart and trying to figure out how to make it better.  Anyone else living with this curse?

As for handheld...  I shot this restaurant that I returned to and tried to grab candids with the DF.  Unsatisfied, I scrapped those and came back with my D3.... much better suited to that purpose.

-CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up