Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3 catalog problem  (Read 2879 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Lightroom 3 catalog problem
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:44:52 pm »

My Lightroom 3 catalog has suddenly developed an interesting problem . It is losing files. The photos themselves are fine and are located right where I imported them too, I know becasue  I can access them in Bridge CS4, Photoshop CS4,  and Lr2.6. so it is the Lr3  catalog that is developing drop outs. Anyone else having this issue? I have about 20,000 files in my LR3 catalog.

Running Lightroom 3 in OS X 10.5.8. 2.16GHZ Intel Cure 2 Duo iMac. photos are stored and backed up on external drives.

cbcbell

• cbcampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »

Hi Ellis,

Since this seems to be a case of the database losing, or losing track of, records, my first instinct would be to optimize the catalog (File > Optimize Catalog). Next I would try to see if there's a pattern to the "lost" files (files related to a folder moved/renamed, files renamed, etc.). Then you might try synchronizing the volume in Lightroom so that you get a full re-scan of the drive, and then examine the pattern of files being re-imported to identify a common factor. Finally, although the image files themselves seem to be intact, you might want to check the directory structure of that volume, using Disk Utility > First Aid > Repair Disk, or, even better, using the Volume Structures test in Tech Tool Pro 5.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »

Per Christopher's advice, I optimized the catalog and the missing images showed up and added to the catalog. I also repaired my OS X Disk Permissions prior to relaunchign and optimizing. Still, it was a little disconcerting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up